Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
oldford2

Default 12 volt or 6 volt starter

I have an old used starter on the engine on my stand. If I put 12 volts to it the new rebuild spins great. If I put 6 volts to it she barely turns over (good battery and heavy boosters). How can you tell the difference between a 6 and 12 volt starter?
Thanks John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
53ash

Default Re: 12 volt or 6 volt starter

That sounds about like a 6 volt. Even on a good day, they spin pretty slow, but they will get the motors started. 12 volts will make them hum, but if you have a motor that doesn't want to start, and you roll it over and over too much, you can burn it up. I really don't know how to tell the difference without having the insides checked out. Hugh
Old 06-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
redfor40

i went from 6 volt to 12 and did'nt do anything with the starter works just fine.
redfor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
CWPASADENA

It is most likely a 6 Volt Starter.

With a fresh rebuild, the engine is stiff and the rings have a lot of drag. Until you get the engine "run in", it may be a challenge for a 6 volt starter to turn it over. If a 6 volt starter is up to spec and the battery, cables, connections and charging system are all in top condition, most of the time you can get a "fresh" engine to start just fine on 6 Volts.

Running a 6 volt starter on 12 Volts will not hurt it as long as you do not crank the engine too long at a time to keep the starter from overheating.

After you have some miles on the engine, it should start just fine on 6 volts.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
19Fordy

It appears that the difference between a 6V and a 12 V. starter is in thethickness of the wire used in the windings. Read this article and CHARGING SYSTEM.
http://lincolnzephyr.us/gpage1.html This is also interesting http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/6v...stem/index.htm
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi John, Just a suggestion, if you install a 6 volt starter and run a 12 volt system, keep a spair Bendix spring in the glove box... I've run 6 volt starters on 12 volts for a long time and had no trouble and I've run the same set up for a day and sanpped the Bendix spring, you just never know...
Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
oldford2

Default Re: 12 volt or 6 volt starter 19fordy

19fordy,

Thanks for the 2 articles. The first is excellent for those folks thinking about converting from 6 to 12 volts. The second article gives the actions of the starter, regulator, and generator. Great info. If only my old brain was not filled up so I could remember this info. I will save the articles and then I only have to remember I saved them.
Back to my question. I think the starter I am using may be an old 6 volt one and tired. I am going to try the starter out of our car and see what happens.
Thanks for your help. John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Dons32

If you use jumper cables (even heavy ones) your new engine will turn over slower than correct battery cables. If you hook up the battery with correct cables with proper ends on battery it will turn over faster. The reason for this is there is a voltage drop where the jumper cables attach to the battery and to the starter and engine.
Dons32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
firefirefire90

so are you guys saying you can start a 6V car with a 12v battery? Just using it to spin the engine?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
CWPASADENA

YES, That is correct.

Just use the 12 V Battery for the STARTER ONLY. Let the rest of the system run on 6 Volts.

Done it many times thru the years.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Morgan Smith

You stated that you used a 12 volt battery to start your engine and run the rest by 6 volts.I have a 31 model A and I need the instruction on how to run on this system.Any help will be welcome.
Morgan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Smith View Post
You stated that you used a 12 volt battery to start your engine and run the rest by 6 volts.I have a 31 model A and I need the instruction on how to run on this system.Any help will be welcome.
Depends on whether you're asking about a 12v CHANGE-over FROM the 6v system, or a ONE-TIME jump-start of a 6v system with a 12v battery...which are you questioning about? Just to be clear! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53ash View Post
That sounds about like a 6 volt. Even on a good day, they spin pretty slow, but they will get the motors started. 12 volts will make them hum, but if you have a motor that doesn't want to start, and you roll it over and over too much, you can burn it up. I really don't know how to tell the difference without having the insides checked out. Hugh
Although I realize 6-volt starters do not hum as quick a 12-volt system, my 46 Coupe and 55 F-100 (both 6-volt systems) are close to behaving like a 12-v during start-ups . Both have rebuilt starters, 00-gauge battery and starter cables, with an Optima battery.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
jkeesey

Some engines when rebuilt are very stiff and would require a GOOD 6v starter to turn them over. Once broken in the 6v would be no problem.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
Bassman/NZ

There are two potential areas of trouble when running 12 into 6. As stated above, the bendix spring can break, the other is that 12v slams the 6v pinion into the ring gear pretty hard, and over a period of time the ring gear teeth can wear quite badly.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
Bubba

Will a 12 volt starter even turn the motor over on 6 volt?
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Smith View Post
A Model A is probably the easiest car to swap voltage on, since there are no gauges or accessories that need changing. Put a resistor on the horn and coil, swap out the bulbs, change the battery and charging device (alternator or generator) and you are done. Probably should put a new style bendix on the starter, but the 6-volt starter will work just fine. With the parts on hand, I did mine in about an hour.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
BILLF/TRF

This may not exactly answer the question posed but if you decide to switch your system to 12 volts, the original 6 volt starter can be converted to a 12 volt by swapping the Field Coils and while you are at it change the bushings. It cost me about $87 back in '07 (for them to do it) but it would be more now. Find a good Power Systems Shop and they will do it for you.
BILLF/TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
51ford fan

I read an article years ago about taking 12V starter housing, I believe it was from a Y-Block and putting the 6V Armature in it to make a 12V starter. The only difference was the Fields that make them 12V or 6V. I did this years ago on my 51 Starter and it worked fine. Sorry I can't be more informative on the 12V model it's been about 10 years ago now.
51ford fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
rayebrown

Bubba.. did you ever get an answer to your question - Will a 12V starter turn the motor over on 6V? I recently had my 21-stud rebuilt and they made it a 12V engine. I asked them to put it back to 6V and he mentioned he replaced the generator, but I don't know if he replaced the starter.
rayebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #21
Dana Barlow

Read this hole thing today,an want out an looked at one of my Y-Block Starters that is on my worktable. I was thinking before looking at it,I'd find some # or markings of some type. Well,the one I just looked at has zip,nothing to ID it as 6 volt or 12 volt by any marks.
Sorry,I could not find any marks at all. I find that a little wired. So I'm no help.
So no one knows how to tell ????by looking,like under dust/brush cover or something?

Last edited by Dana Barlow; 10-04-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Dana Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote