Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Oakridgeacres

Default Installing an oil pressure gauge.

I purchased a oil pressure gauge, and copper tubing (didn't like the plastic tubing that came with the kit). The directions say run line through TERMINAL BLOCK. This phrase puzzles me! The picture shows the line heading towards the radiator after being hooked to the fitting on the block instead of towards the firewall. Has anyone installed one and what route did you take to get it inside the cab. Anything you would do different on the installation? I am new to the model "A" world and am learning slow but sure. I have been reading the questions and answers in the Ford Barn, and I must say you guys have a wealth of knowledge!!! Thanks in advance. Rick.
Oakridgeacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Glenn C.

Default Re: Installing an oil pressure gauge.

I mounted mine on the steering column along with a temp gauge. Ran both tubings down the column, with the copper tubing bent to pass behind the engine and down to the 1/8 fitting on the side. I slid a chunk of braided wire tubing over the oil sensing line to prevent wear to the line.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

I ran one along the pan flange of the block, through the speedometer hole in the firewall, up behind the speedo cable, and under the gas tank wire harness housing to a gauge mounted below the instrument panel. There are small stick on cable tie mounts you can find in electronics sections of hardware stores that you can use to mount the tubing in areas where it needs support.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
ctlikon0712

I believe what the directions were trying to convey was, run the copper line around the front of the motor to where the wiring from the Generators cut out runs by the water return on the driver’s side of the block, and then along with the wiring harness up to the terminal block in the center of the firewall. From there it is a simple straight run to where many of the gages are mounted on the instrument panel, right under the speedo and odometer.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Oakridgeacres

Thanks to all for the replys! Craig, I believe you hit the nail on the head. Just didn't make sence to me at first. Rick
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
CarlG

That seems to be the long way around. Shortest route would be straight back to the firewall, back to the center and into the terminal block. Just don't understand why they would direct you to "circle" the engine!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Tom from Drippin'

I ran the tubing through the terminal block, insunlated with vacuum hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1680.JPG (135.8 KB, 323 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
That seems to be the long way around. Shortest route would be straight back to the firewall, back to the center and into the terminal block. Just don't understand why they would direct you to "circle" the engine!
The reason that I run mine the long way around on my 31 tudor was to keep away from the exhaust pipe and manifold, It would get pretty close trying to go up the back of the engine. I figured it was already pretty tight in the terminal box. My tudor is a late 31 with the accessory dual guage panel that mounts to the steering column bracket. it was pretty easy for me to route the oil line around the front of the engine and back and through the felt pad, up the steering column to the guage panel. Here is a pic of mine.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Richard Wilson

I have a 1930's oil pressure gauge kit with a copper tube and the instructions show the copper line routed exactly like Tom's picture in post #7. The gauge mounts below the dash panel using the two bottom dash panel screws. Your instructions are for using the PLASTIC line supplied with your gauge. You would NOT want to run a plastic tube under the exhaust pipe thus it shows the line going around the front of the block and then back to the firewall.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
awander

Copper tubing on a motor vehicle is a bad idea, as it will work harden with vibration and eventually crack.

Use steel.

Andy
awander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by awander View Post
Copper tubing on a motor vehicle is a bad idea, as it will work harden with vibration and eventually crack.

Use steel.

Andy
It'll last longer than plastic if it gets close to the exhaust pipe.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Oakridgeacres

Thanks again fellas for all the great advice. I HAVE OPTIONS NOW, and a better understanding before I start the project. Have a small HONEY DUE list I must undertake before returning to the "A". I worked all winter replacing all the brake parts, hubs, service rods, shoes and now have great brakes. Thanks again, it is great having a place I can ask questions and get good results. Rick
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by awander View Post

Use steel.

Andy
Any of it will, harden and crack, that is. The fuel lines that JC whitney and Warshawsky use to sell were copper, I used them and never had a problem. After hearing so much flack on the model A forums about the dangers of useing copper tubing, I made sure to use steel tubing on my dual updraft setup because I planned on driving it a lot. After six years one of the steel fuel lines developed a minute crack, just before it entered the fitting that connects to the rear carb. It wasn't fun to fix but at least it didn't happen out on the road. This is the only fuel line crack that I have ever had in over fifty years with my model A's. Steel tubing is much harder to bend and shape than copper.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote