Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #21
fordwife

Default Re: Lathe with 3 Ford transmissions in Iowa

As for the holes in the brake drums, this would be no problem for the average machinist, just set it up concentric and drill the holes.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
Fordestes

I just made the deal for the lathe with the 3 transmissions , all I am waiting on is a confirmation from my hired help if they are willing to travel , I am checking right now to secure a winch truck or heavy duty wrecker to load it , I am thinking a couple of goose neck trailers would do the job, that particular machine weighs close to 6,600 pounds without the transmissions, I may have to dis assemble it as to avoid overloading one trailer, I may have to put the touch on my relatives to haul it in one piece, only problem they only run dry box and no flatbed trailers. I will take some pictures and post , there are some obstacles as to getting it out of the building like 90 degree turns etc. I normally use pipe as rollers like the ancient Egyptians did when they built the pyramids. we will see what happens!
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #23
cas3

glad its going to a good home. i had thought about it very hard, but never took the first step. i was thinking to find out if the location is near any industry where you might be able to hire a fork lift. and yes, roll it on pipes, but need to get it up on some heavy timbers first. 6x6 landscape timbers would be easy, although the real movers would have some better wood. i used to get hired to haul machinery quite often years ago when i had a rolldeck truck. winch them out of places that had no loading dock. have fun!!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #24
frnkeore

This is my SW #2 turret lathe. It is much smaller than the WWII #2 WS turrets and I've never seen another like it. I did some online searches to try to find out any info on and nothing came up.

You'll note, that the turret is on a cross side so, you can face with it and besides the lever to operate the turret, it also has a hand crank, on the rear for forward motion. That would allow to turn the OD of something, too.

It's very versatile but, I've not used, since I bought it in about 2000.

Three things regarding moving the 3 trans lathe.

1. They make machinery moving rollers, some have small diameter ball bearing wheels and some have something like a crawler track. I made mine (2) out of 2.5" diameter ball bearings, 3 per side. The bearing are bolted to a 6 x 3 piece of 3/8 think channel, with one side cut down to just clear the bearings. You slide that side under the machine.

They also make a set, that have handles on them and they swivel, to steer. Look around for a place to rent them.

2. I would first check in with the riggers in that area and get a quote on loading it. It's a very dangerous job, with something that tall.

3. It will fit on a 8K or 10K lb, 16 - 20 ft long equipment trailer. That will keep it low and easier to load and unload.

In 1978, I moved my tall but short L&S and my step father helped me. I had my rollers under the lathe. We were going over a seam in the cement and it stopped. He gave a push, off to the side a little. Over it went and hit my heavy, 16" drill press and knocked to through the wall, braking the taper attachment on the lathe but, not us.

Another quick story...... Two friends of mine, moved a modern, 14" lathe, in his shop. I offered to help them but, they said that they could handle it. They were using a floor jack on it and tipped it over. One of them, got his Femur broke and a 4", gash, the other (owner of it) just got a big gash in his leg but, nothing broken.

BE CAREFUL!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS #2.jpg (37.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg WS #2a.JPG (143.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg WS #2b.jpg (40.7 KB, 52 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #25
cas3

thats a pretty cool lathe too. the big boy riggers would have air pallets today, but they dont work cheap
Old 06-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #26
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
I just made the deal for the lathe with the 3 transmissions , all I am waiting on is a confirmation from my hired help if they are willing to travel , I am checking right now to secure a winch truck or heavy duty wrecker to load it , I am thinking a couple of goose neck trailers would do the job, that particular machine weighs close to 6,600 pounds without the transmissions, I may have to dis assemble it as to avoid overloading one trailer, I may have to put the touch on my relatives to haul it in one piece, only problem they only run dry box and no flatbed trailers. I will take some pictures and post , there are some obstacles as to getting it out of the building like 90 degree turns etc. I normally use pipe as rollers like the ancient Egyptians did when they built the pyramids. we will see what happens!
Congrats, I was hoping someone here would want it. I have fond memories of a 1908 L&S 18" X 100" that I restored to be my first big lathe - did a lot of car parts on it. I'm guessing you already have a good idea how to move it but I feel compelled to point out the biggest danger is that it is top heavy. I moved mine on timbers and pipe rollers on a heavy car/equipment trailer, I was young and fearless. Lately for moving things indoors I've been sliding machines on cold rolled steel bars like 1/2" round or 1/4" X 1" rectangles. Steel on steel slides easily especially if it's a little greasy, and when it's close to the ground there's little hazard of falling off. Some pry bars or a cable comealong will move something no heavier than that quite far in an hour. I find my skates are a PITA on anything but a perfectly clean and smooth floor, and it takes a while and more equipment to get something jacked up high enough to get the skates under it.

Good luck, and post photos please!
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #27
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
This is my SW #2 turret lathe. It is much smaller than the WWII #2 WS turrets and I've never seen another like it. I did some online searches to try to find out any info on and nothing came up.
Very cool machine, I've never seen one like that either and I'm a W&S fan.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #28
Fordestes

Some real kool old machinery here , just think, all those were built without the use of computers.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:07 AM   #29
frnkeore

Can anyone confirm that the trans on my W&S is a Model A?
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 06-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #30
frnkeore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
I've run several lathes and a radial drill press that used transmissions to change speed but that one beats anything I've seen. I tried to post a picture of a 32"x 144" Lodge & Shipley that I've put quite a few hours on but the picture wont upload. It uses a very large electric motor with an attached transmission. Looks like it must be some sort of factory unit that was made to adapt the old line shaft flat belt drive. It's a little big for watch repair but does yeoman service in the railroad shop.

Thanks to member (Frnkeore) I can post the picture now. I don't know how old this Lodge & Shipley is but you can see the flat belt cones. I was intent on getting a picture of my helper Bob rather than the transmission electric motor drive. The lathe resides in the back shop of the Sumpter Valley Railroad near Baker City, Oregon.
Dennis, I believe that the drive on yours, is a Lima Drive. They were very popular for converting flat belts, years ago. From what I can see, yours is the motor/trans combo. I had the same thing on my L&S. They made just the trans also as a add on. I have one of those but, never had anything to mount it on. You used to be able to find them on all kinds of machinery but, today, most of the flat belt machinery has been scraped.

They also had large cast iron brackets to mount them off of the back of a lathe.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 06-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #31
cas3

yes, that trans looks like a model A to me
Old 06-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #32
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
It's great that you've brought this remarkable piece of equipment "into the fold".

Make sure you take plenty of pics and maybe a little video when you are collecting and unloading. We all love to do stuff vicariously by other's efforts.

If you do video anything and are using your phone, hold it sideways so it looks better when viewed.

I'd love to see it once you get it running.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #33
frnkeore

Cas3, thank you.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #34
cas3

just for fun, here's a big lathe https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...54030/page-609
Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #35
D. Jones

Now that's a lathe! It looks like it has a shotgun carriage. So far I've not needed one that big.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #36
woodiewagon46

If my old shop teacher saw that third picture in the original post, someone would be getting detention. If he ever saw an unattended chuck wrench in the chuck like that, he would blow a gasket. He claimed he saw a student loose his two front teeth when he started the lathe with the chuck wrench engaged. All those pictures show good old American ingenuity!
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #37
cas3

well jeez, i thought i had it figured out to just show the lathe, and not the whole thread. hope you enjoyed the rest of the pics. never trust me to drive your computer
Old 07-02-2020, 04:57 AM   #38
Fordestes

Glad to say I have the Lodge and Shipley at it's new home , It is awaiting re assembly , the whole Rig weighed 7000 pounds, I had to haul it on two trailers, Just got back from Iowa at 3:30 am this morning , with the help of a good friend and two locals we moved the old girl from the shop the first day , we started dis assembly the second day and were loaded and back in Oklahoma city the third day, all went very smoothly ,I have many pictures to post . It no doubt will take me a few days to recoup from this expedition.

Last edited by Fordestes; 07-02-2020 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
well jeez, i thought i had it figured out to just show the lathe, and not the whole thread. hope you enjoyed the rest of the pics. never trust me to drive your computer

Here's just the lathe picture, although that gi-hugic thread has some of the greatest pics anywhere on Al Gore's internet....if ya have the time! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #40
Mart

Glad you got it back and you're all safe and sound. Quite the trip by the sound of it.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote