Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
beerslob

Default 49 ford engine swap

I just put a rebuilt 8ba in my 49 ford 4 door I bought with no engine and theres no wires for the right temp sensor does that mean my car had a 6 cyl. originaly? can I add them ? do I need different gauges? thanks for help
beerslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 49 ford engine swap

One side sensor has 2 terminals, one goes to car harness, other wire goes to single wire sensor on other head, the 2 wire sensor is just a switch, when it trips the gauge goes full hot
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
GB SISSON

Not sure on your car, but on a truck the radiator would have been mounted in the forward set of holes for the longer six cyl engine.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
nelsb01

1949.....check to see if your car had an V-8.
Engine compartment, passenger's side, behind the hood hinge, should be the data plate.
In the third position if it is B - then it started life as a V-8. If the third position is an H - it started life as a 6 cyl.
Hope this helps.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
big job

Sorry but a 6 or V8 in all case's one wire from gauge goes to a make and break sender found on the left head. When cold the left sender points are closed shooting a signal to the right sender to the dash gauge. Ok, so simple a V8 has a split cooling left and right or they would not have two water pumps. All temp. signals come from the right one wire
sender now if the left head gets up to hot, this sender opens meaning an open line to the dash >>>>HOT another word is removing dender wire from the dash the needle goes HOT. You ground that wire with jumper needle goes to cold so thats good. So you need a one wire sender. And then I have a couple trucks with a 337V8 and these have only one , one wire sender (not too like smaller V8s.)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
Aarongriffey

You only need the single wire sender. Run a wire from it to the gage.
As Big Bob says above, that two wire sender just breaks the wire in two at a certain high temp.
When that happens the gage will peg itself on hot.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
Aarongriffey

On my ‘51 I ran the left wire to the gage.
Then I bought an Auto Zone temp gage and run it off the right side just because I could.
They both have always read the same. But when the are both in the normal range I feel pretty certain the temp is ok.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #8
beerslob

I hooked up the left sensor to the temp wire on the car, single wire . but the right sensor has 2 terminals for wires but there isn't any wires on the car.. I didn't know what to do with it
beerslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What are you calling right and left? The two terminal sender should be on the left (drivers side) and the single sender on the right (passenger side). This for U.S. Left hand drive. The wire goes from the gauge to the two terminal sender and then to the single terminal. Only the single sender provides a variable temperature reference to the dash gauge, the other one is an on/off switch that is set to a specific temperature.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote