Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2020, 02:00 AM   #1
BigALNeenyo

Default FoMoCo and Ford script stamped 16 x 4.5 wheels.

Hello,
I bought 4 wheels for my '50 F-1 panel. 3 of the wheels were from the same truck(Same color, blue). The 4th. wheel appeared to have been painted black originally. I found something interesting when I was prepping them for paint.
The 3 wheels that are the same, all are stamped FoMoCo, I am familiar with that logo. The oddball wheel is stamped with the Ford script. I am thinking the Ford script is older than the the FoMoCo, am I right? The wheels all are similar with the exception of the Script versus fomoco and the center lugs are different the script wheel is a Innie, the lug holes are recessed, where as the fomoco wheels are outies, lol .. the lug holes are raised.
Another question is, when did they go from the script logo to the fomoco? Thanks for any info.
BigALNeenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:30 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: FoMoCo and Ford script stamped 16 x 4.5 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigALNeenyo View Post
The 3 wheels that are the same, all are stamped FoMoCo, I am familiar with that logo. The oddball wheel is stamped with the Ford script. I am thinking the Ford script is older than the the FoMoCo, am I right? The wheels all are similar with the exception of the Script versus fomoco and the center lugs are different the script wheel is a Innie, the lug holes are recessed, where as the fomoco wheels are outies, lol .. the lug holes are raised.
Another question is, when did they go from the script logo to the fomoco? Thanks for any info.

On 11/20/1948, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for FOMOCO. This trademark is owned by Ford Motor Company,
One American Road
Dearborn, MI 48126. The USPTO has given the FOMOCO trademark serial number of 71569147. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Newc

Hi; when you install those wheels, you may notice the 'outie' has less threads showing, of the studs. One V8 member has noticed different appearing lug nuts also. He has some lug nuts with a shoulder below the taper, and those 'shouldered' nuts appear to bottom out when used with the "innies wheels. That is the ' shouldered' nuts can leave the 'innie' wheels loose! This wheel change may have to do with the adoption of common radials, and newer wheels?
Good topic Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
nelsb01

The answer lies in V8Coopman's answer.
IF....you own a 1949 Ford or older, you will see the Ford script. If you own 1950 or newer, you will see FoMoCo.
I own an original 1949 Ford Custom Fordor that was built in April 1949 at the Twin Cities Ford Assembly Plant in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Over the years of maintaining it, I have constantly found Ford script on just about every part that I have replaced. Shocks, rear transmission seal, water pumps, hose clamps, wheel rims, etc.
It just is amazing that the Ford script was still used through 1949. Several years ago during Hershey week, I purchased four 8A-1015-C rims. Why? Because by then I had learned that while the 0A-1015 rims would be just as good as replacements, they would not be ones that were used on a 1949 Ford.
Trivial -- yes, but as Walter Cronkite used to say-- "And that's is the way it is"
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
BigALNeenyo

Thank you guys .. yeah good info, Newc, thank you for that info on the lug nut with the shoulders, good to know.
BigALNeenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
paul2748

Just because they got the trademark in 1949 does not mean that it was used right away.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Just because they got the trademark in 1949 does not mean that it was used right away.

Sooo…...along the same lines, just because a new Ford chugged off of the assembly line at 10:00 AM on the morning of Friday, October 13th, 1950, that probably does not mean that the new owner carried his groceries home in it that afternoon....right? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote