Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #21
Karl

Default Re: coker tire has sold out-mentioned on AACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
By percentages, how many customers from Australia make up the total amount of tires sold to US customers? As far as Brattons is concerned, if they won't, I will. FWIW, it sounds like Australia needs a new Model-A vendor. Maybe that person is you??
I believe the issue with Australia is how sales tax is collected. We don't have the same problem (yet - or hopefully ever) in New Zealand. However shipping is normally the killer here. It costs lot to get parts here unless you do it in bulk and then when you do the market is to small to sell off all the stock you have.

We have lost one major supplier in the last 2 years in New Zealand . I suspect one of the reasons is that it is cheaper for me and others to buy online and ship directly despite exchange rates and shipping costs. We don't have to factor in the cost of holding stock into our purchase.

Corky and his son were the guests at an international rally we had in New Zealand a couple of years ago -Interesting and genuine guys

Karl
Old 11-21-2018, 02:22 AM   #22
apbright

I do find this mildly terrifying, as while most every Model A metal item can be either restored from an original from e.g. Bert's, or then replaced by a catalogue-part from Timken, and soft materials can be re-done by a local, experienced upholsterer, as far as I know there is no means for restoring a tire, repo or otherwise.

Yet I also believe some umbrage can be taken from several things. Firstly, Mr. Kawasaki, who has been with the company for some years, will remain so. Secondly, it seems to be a 'management buyout,' which to me means the original owning family wished to cash-out, and the existing management simply turned to a private equity firm to obtain the needed funds. Thirdly, the private equity firm concerned, Irving Place Capital, seems to have some specialty in special-sector companies like Coker Tire.

Re: Lucas Tire - does anyone know if they manufacture their own tires, are are they just a reseller?
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #23
ronn

Re: Lucas Tire - does anyone know if they manufacture their own tires, are are they just a reseller?

good question!

theyve been around since the late 50s I believe.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #24
jak

I guess it is time for me to chime in here about Bratton's not shipping to Australia. This decision was made because the Australian government has started requiring US companies to register with their government and collect the duties and taxes for the orders before the order ships out. Than every month or so it would be up to Bratton's to file a return with the Australian government and submit the collected amount. If however the government feels there was an error, it would be up to Bratton's to pony up the money and if push come to shove the Australian government will get the US IRS involved. There was a certain dollar threshold that must be met for these rules to kick in, but we just don't have the manpower to monitor and comply with this ruling. That is why we have left the Australian market.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #25
ronn

thanks for sharing that jak. good to know.
cant blame Brattons for that.

Of course, as members here- we can mail parts to our brothers in OZ, but do remember,

no insurance once those parts leave American soil.
dont ask me how I know...........
Old 11-22-2018, 03:40 AM   #26
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
I guess it is time for me to chime in here about Bratton's not shipping to Australia. This decision was made because the Australian government has started requiring US companies to register with their government and collect the duties and taxes for the orders before the order ships out. Than every month or so it would be up to Bratton's to file a return with the Australian government and submit the collected amount. If however the government feels there was an error, it would be up to Bratton's to pony up the money and if push come to shove the Australian government will get the US IRS involved. There was a certain dollar threshold that must be met for these rules to kick in, but we just don't have the manpower to monitor and comply with this ruling. That is why we have left the Australian market.
And fair enough . I don't think that any of our Australian friends would blame you. It simply doesn't make sense for you to collect tax for a foreign government. Just another example of some politicians pushing through a law without thinking about the consequences.

In New Zealand we also have sales tax which we have to pay on imports above a certain value . However here we are just advised that a parcel has arrived and so much is owed on it . When we pay this the parcel is released to us. Seems to work very well -I believe this is the system Australia used previously -I'm not sure why the change . Karl
Old 11-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #27
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I believe the issue with Australia is how sales tax is collected. We don't have the same problem (yet - or hopefully ever) in New Zealand. However shipping is normally the killer here. It costs lot to get parts here unless you do it in bulk and then when you do the market is to small to sell off all the stock you have.

Karl
People have been saying that in NZ the tax to import things from the USA has become unworkable.

A $400 spoiler for a 1979 car is $800. With some shipping, and now about $2,000 tax.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #28
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
That's a pretty accurate account of what has happened. It came about because some of our bricks and mortar retailers cried foul over no tax being charged on imports under $A1,000. The Govt figured that the cost of collecting the tax was more than the tax itself for amounts under $A1,000 - that would be $100 in GST. The retailers said the GST free goods were costing them sales so they got into the Government's ear and had things changed so that there is now no threshold. So that the cost of collecting the tax didn't cost the government, they made the vendors collect it for them. Cunning bastards but I very much doubt they ever even thought O/S suppliers might refuse to supply Australia. Another poorly considered Government decision!
On a similar and not unrelated issue, Amazon recently opened an Australian site and barred us from the US one. I suspect the change we have been talikng about was the reason. Well, Amazon has decided to allow us access to the US site again. I don't know whether they shut down the local site and I don't care because I will EVER shop Amazon again. I bought an item there a while ago and without my knowledge or consent, signed me up for Amazon Prime (or is it Amazon Premium?) and sarted taking money out of my bank account. I find that totally unacceptable and it has left me wary about buying on line from a foreign organisation.

Last edited by Synchro909; 11-25-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #29
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That's a pretty accurate account of what has happened. It came about because some of our bricks and mortar retailers cried foul over no tax being charged on imports under $A1,000. That, they said is costing them sales so they got into the Government's ear and had things changed so that there is now no threshold. I very much doubt they ever even thought O/S suppliers might refuse to supply Australia. Another poorly considered Government decision!
On a similar and not unrelated issue, Amazon recently opened an Australian site and barred us from the US one. I suspect the change we have been talikng about was the reason. Well, Amazon has decided to allow us access to the US site again. I don't know whether they shut down the local site and I don't care because I will EVER shop Amazon again. I bought an item there a while ago and without my knowledge or consent, signed me up for Amazon Prime (or is it Amazon Premium?) and sarted taking money out of my bank account. I find that totally unacceptable and it has left me wary about buying on line from a foreign organisation.

I do not know if true but have been told by others where I worked you have to be very careful on Amazon. When verifying offered free fast shipping you may miss the details that you are also signing up for Prime. If you do not use Prime you can still get free shipping, but not as fast.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

Who makes Goodyear tires for Model A's? I'm sure it's not Goodyear?

Does Kelsey down in Missouri make their own 'Goodyear tires'??
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #31
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
I do not know if true but have been told by others where I worked you have to be very careful on Amazon. When verifying offered free fast shipping you may miss the details that you are also signing up for Prime. If you do not use Prime you can still get free shipping, but not as fast.
I figure that if they have to hide details like that, there is something fundamentally wrong with it and they know it. Like I said, NEVER AGAIN!
Old 11-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #32
ronn

30 closed is correct. The way the wording is, if you arent keen on what youre looking at, you just signed up for a 50. a yr premium subscription on amzn.

Yes they are bastards, but bastards fall too! Bezos is biting off more then he will ever be able to chew. But in all fairness, he didnt become the richest guy in the world by sitting back..............
shareholders have no idea of Amazons profitability and never will.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #33
SteveB31

Kelsey tire owns the molds for the Goodyear tires for antique cars, just like Coker owns the molds for Firestone, Goodrich and others. Neither make them in house- they are made in tire factories.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

Gotcha Steve, thanks.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #35
denis4x4

To all of the people who have nothing good to say about buyouts, I would suggest that you read this:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/1...ms/?refer=news
Old 11-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #36
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
To all of the people who have nothing good to say about buyouts, I would suggest that you read this:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/1...ms/?refer=news
That article reads like a PR puff piece, written by an ad agency. The comments below the article paint a more accurate picture, I think!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #37
ronn

That article reads like a PR puff piece, written by an ad agency. The comments below the article paint a more accurate picture, I think!

yep!
Old 11-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #38
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Coker owns Universal????
Yes, I believe
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote