Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #41
77Birdman

Default Re: Preservation vs Restoration

Bob-A, that is a beautiful car. While im not crazy about rat rods, or rust waxed cars, that is my idea of a nice preserved car. Though it may have been repainted in 1950 and not original, it still looks really nice. Its too bad im a year or so away from actually thinking about a purchase!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:33 AM   #42
Hyfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
Enclosed is a pic of my '31 deluxe roadster: Virginia. From what I know of her history. She was "refurbished" in the early 50's. A "B" block was added,
also paint, top/side curtains and maybe the interior.

Bob-A

That thing is just perfect Bob! Beautiful.
Hyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #43
Steve Plucker
BANNED

So I bought this very early 1929 (Feb) Tudor about 10 years ago or there abouts...It was either me or a hot rodder.

Things that were noted when I bought it...

1. It was repainted at some time in its life BUT it was repainted the same color as it was originally;

2. The fabric top was replaced at some time in it's life BUT with the same type of material that it was originally;

3. Shocks were reproductions BUT replaced with originals that were restored;

4. Cast Iron sediment bowl was cracked so I replaced it with a original that was not cracked;

5. The chassis was so covered with crud of dirty hard grease in most spots you could not see the grease zerks in lots of places or anything else as that goes;

6. Upholstery is in its original condition as most other things still on the car.

I decided to remove the body, take everything off the frame and come back with it by cleaning it up taking great care as not to remove most of the original paint that was originally put on the chassis parts, replacing parts, as bearings and bushings, with good unrestored parts that still retained the original finish except as noted above if need be, and just tried to keep it in it's original shape/condition the best I could except for the nice shinny restored items (shocks and sediment bowl).

So...did I restore the car or did I preserve the car? I would estimate that overall it is about 85% still in its original condition but what do I know???

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-17-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #44
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
I am interested in hearing thoughts on preservation vs restoration. Consider a rare model, Model A, in close to original unrestored condition. Some areas are, as would be expected, rough, ie. top and interior material; but it has all original parts and there is no rust. This particular car could very easily be brought back to original unrestored condition with a modest investment and searching for original materials. Conversely, it is such a solid car it could be restored to the highest level, no patch panels no fillers.

Even the rarer Model A's will come on the market occasionally, I have not seen one come on the market in this condition in the last few years since I have been search for this particular model.

I know the trend in the market is for unrestored originals. I have seen many beautifully restored examples of this model come on the market, and some very rough unrestored examples missing most, if not all of the hard to find components.

Ten or fifteen years ago, the prevailing thought would be to restore, even more so given the cars solid condition. But...they are only original once, just seems unfortunate to tamper with that.

Any thoughts?
I can only speak from my model A ownership! I call my car, a "20 footer!" (looks great from 20ft) I am not into what others do, and I just do enough to my car to make it safe, with good seats and interior, and I drive it around town and just have fun with it. Others would find my view of keeping the car as close to original, as, not the thing to do. The point is, all us that love these Vintage Model A's have their own views, and I can tell ya regardless of full restoration or just great preservation, When I drive the old girl thru town, I draw a small crowd! Do what makes you happy and does not empty your bank account!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #45
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
So I bought this very early 1929 (Feb) Tudor about 10 years ago or there abouts...It was either me or a hot rodder.

1. It was repainted at some time in its life BUT it was repainted the same color as it was originally;

2. The fabric top was replaced at some time in it's life BUT with the same type of material that it was originally;

4. Cast Iron sediment bowl was cracked so I replaced it with a original that was not cracked;

5. The chassis was so covered with crud of dirty hard grease in most spots you could not see the grease zerks in lots of places or anything else as that goes;

6. Upholstery is in its original condition as most other things still on the car.

I decided to remove the body, take everything off the frame and come back with it by cleaning it up taking great care as not to remove most of the original paint that was originally put on the chassis parts, replacing parts, as bearings and bushings, with good unrestored parts that still retained the original finish except as noted above if need be, and just tried to keep it in it's original shape/condition the best I could except for the nice shinny restored items (shocks and sediment bowl).

So...did I restore the car or did I preserve the car? I would estimate that overall it is about 85% still in its original condition but what do I know???

Pluck
Not an expert but I would call this car maintained. Its not preserved because there are too many replacements, and it hardly sounds restored. I think the best thing to call it is......YOURS, and you love it. Doesn't really matter what others think.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #46
77Birdman

Kinda related, but I am a general contractor specializing in restoration work. I did a public house/living history museum quite a few years ago. House was built in early 1800's. Everything was being reproduced and replaced period correct including using hand tools to show work marks. There were several doors that had settled and were WAY out of square and would not work properly. Arch. just wanted to make them work and leave as is. His idea was to show how the house had changed over its life. I thought (and still do) that this was a ridiculous idea. I likened it to restoring a Model A and leaving dents in the fender. I guess it turns out he was ahead of the curve.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #47
Purdy Swoft

It looks good , Bob !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #48
Bob-A

Red face Re: Preservation vs Restoration

To all who have complemented my "A", Virginia. Thank you very much!
She is such a nice car and runs super sweet. I just can't make up my mine
as to whether to sale her or not. The 'ol lady and I are thinking about moving into a smaller place and are starting to down-size. What to do,
what to do.....

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #49
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
To all who have complemented my "A", Virginia. Thank you very much!
She is such a nice car and runs super sweet. I just can't make up my mine
as to whether to sale her or not. The 'ol lady and I are thinking about moving into a smaller place and are starting to down-size. What to do,
what to do.....

Bob-A

Bob, keep it until you can't drive it anymore. "Downsizing" doesn't include the things you enjoy and will miss. That is called "dying" and since you can still remember all the words and where they go in a sentence it doesn't look like you are near the Pearly Gates yet.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #50
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I did mean a dual master cylinder. The problem is that total pedal travel has to be the same as original or the pedal will hit the floor before the brakes are applied in case of a leak. If you've ever blown a hose, you noticed that the pedal went to about an inch off the floor before you had any brakes! That is normal.
If a dual master is mounted in an early car and has less pedal travel than OEM or pedal ratio is different, the pedal will likely hit the floor before you have any brakes!
By dual master cylinder, I understand two separate hydraulic systems completely independant of each other so that if one does fail, the other is unaffected. I'd take that any day over a single master cylinder which, as you say would result in no brakes at all. BTW, single master cyinders have been prohibited here for decades. Any imported car that had them fitted had to be converted before they were allowed on the road.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:18 AM   #51
Licensed to kill

Quote:

Pluck
It's just semantics. Reminds me of the line in the Nitty Gritty dirt bands song "Partners brother and friends".....
The critics all like our records just fine
But they seem a bit confused
Is it folk or rock or country
Whoa, seems like everybody cares but us........
However, in your case I would just go with "unmodified" if anyone asked.

Last edited by Licensed to kill; 02-23-2019 at 03:27 AM.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 AM   #52
Licensed to kill

Another thing that all this "restored vs preserved" reminds me of is an old saying regarding originality about the guy selling Daniel Boone's personal tomahawk. "It's the actual tomahawk that Dan'l himself carried but has been restored over the years. The head's been replaced twice and the handle's been replaced 4 times".
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #53
30ccpickup

Quote:

Pluck
You did it right! A little restoration, with a little preservation, as needed. I bet it drives nice.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #54
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
Bob, keep it until you can't drive it anymore. "Downsizing" doesn't include the things you enjoy and will miss. That is called "dying" and since you can still remember all the words and where they go in a sentence it doesn't look like you are near the Pearly Gates yet.

I've got to agree with Dennis . I would keep it !!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #55
flan30

bottom line do what makes YOU happy!!!!
flan30 is offline   Reply With Quote