Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Trevor

Default Steel Roof?

My hobby is my Canadian built '31 160B Slant Windshield that I am in the process of renovating. It looks as if the cobra long grain roof kit has been replaced with a piece of steel sheet metal. The car has been in the family since '39 and as far as anyone can remember, the roof has been steel since then. Under the sheet metal roof is what looks like a layer of perished rubber sheeting and thereunder, as I think is standard, is some fibreglass insulation and chicken wire. I assume that the rubber sheeting was used for additional insulation from the elements and / or for support of the heavier steel roof.

The steel roof has been screwed onto the body with many little screws all the way round the roof edge making it difficult to revert back to the cobra long grain kit.

The wood, besides the header, looks like it has been protected from moisture pretty well over the years.

Has anyone ever come across something similar?
If I put the steel roof back, is there anything besides rubber sheeting that I could possibly use?
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Steel Roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
My hobby is my Canadian built '31 160B Slant Windshield that I am in the process of renovating. It looks as if the cobra long grain roof kit has been replaced with a piece of steel sheet metal. The car has been in the family since '39 and as far as anyone can remember, the roof has been steel since then. Under the sheet metal roof is what looks like a layer of perished rubber sheeting and thereunder, as I think is standard, is some fibreglass insulation and chicken wire. I assume that the rubber sheeting was used for additional insulation from the elements and / or for support of the heavier steel roof.

The steel roof has been screwed onto the body with many little screws all the way round the roof edge making it difficult to revert back to the cobra long grain kit.

The wood, besides the header, looks like it has been protected from moisture pretty well over the years.

If I put the steel roof back, is there anything besides rubber sheeting that I could possibly use?
My coupe roof was replaced with a piece of sheet metal, when, I don't know and covered with the long grain rubber top for it to look original.
I don't know how waterproof it is but I'm sure I'll find out sometime this year.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
redmodelt

Was not really all that uncommon to put a metal roof on a car or truck when the fabric one went to pot. You can buy a metal insert even today for some Model A's. The rubber sheeting may have been used for sound deadening. The material sold today that attaches to the body panels might work. Or a good thick jute pad might also be ok if the edges were the metal top attaches to the body are sealed.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
1930artdeco

Welcome to the Barn. Without pics it is difficult to address the issue. But, if the edges ar that shot due to the screws and the steel insert does not sit that high above the rest of the roof-leave it. Then just lay a long grain Cobra sheet over it and mask it off. That way it will look original from inside and outside and you still get to keep the integrity of the roof.

Mike
Old 01-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

I would leave it in place. Since it was a contemporary after market Add on or upgrade and a not too common one at that. Sorta like having a heater manifold or an exhaust whistle. It makes your car stand out from the rest.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote