Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
Aerocraft

Default '34 Standard Fordor rear seat bottom

I am in process of installing a LB interior in my Standard '34 Fordor. The rear seat bottom wooden frame is missing and I have barely a clue as to the exact shape of the sides that are adjacent to the inside of the fender wells. I can calculate the depth of the frame, and from the front seat frame have the thickness (3/4") and width (3 1/2") of the frame members.

Apparently, the rear bottom frame is one part that is not reproduced by the businesses that make repro wood.

I would really appreciate a picture of the bottom frame if someone would be willing to help. I assume that the standard and deluxe would be identical.

Thanks in advance...........

Gar Williams
Naperville, IL
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
PJBELFAY

Default Re: '34 Standard Fordor rear seat bottom

Hi, I have deluxe fordor, only the front seat bottom has wood frame, rear is all done in wire. Dowel holes and the notches for wheel wells are all formed in the seat spring. I think that is why the rear spring is so outrageously expensive. Possible you have two fronts? Car is apart so I can send you a pic if nec. Pete
PJBELFAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
bobH

As Pete says... My 33/34 4-dr also has no wood seat frame in the rear. (I say 33/34 because it is a VERY late 33, or early 34. A 33 tub with many 34 features, a so-called 'transition' car.) Just the springs, metal frame, and wire that holds it together. It would be extremely easy to 'fake-it', meaning, make a wood platform, put a couple holes on the bottom to locate on the floor bumps, foam it (or spring it), and you would have the rear seat cushion that would look like an original from the top. I wouldn't worry it any further than that. Even for a 'points' car, do the judges check the bottom of the cushion? (I don't know.)
bobH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Aerocraft

Thanks for the input!

My '34 Standard Fordor (my fourth, first standard, over many years) is also a "transition" car having been built in December of '33. I also had a '33 Fordor but it was so long ago that I don't remember some of the details. I did disassemble this seat and removed what appeared to be original upholstery (was under black vinyl) which matched the remainder of the interior. The rear seat bottom did have a wooden frame quite similar to the front. Unfortunately, the missing bottom must have gone out the door with one of several "project" cars I sold recently.

The seat spring does fit the space correctly. Given the fact that it may not be original, it will work and I can design a frame that will work. I was my hope that someone out there could help.

I do appreciate your comments !

Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-18-08 Mundelein Fordor (1).JPG (80.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Pictures from external drive 12917.jpg (41.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
bobH

Something I see in the rear view... It looks like a wood (?) riser for the seat. My standard fordor has a metal riser at that location, part of the floor, I believe. Then, under the cushion, more ribbed metal floor similar to what you show for the foot area.
Is that wood? And did someone add it in front of the metal riser? Or isn't your floor all metal?
I see armrests - none in my car. But, I'm not sure if mine never had them, or if they were there, and someone removed them.
Aside from that, your rear seat area looks like mine.
bobH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Aerocraft

The entire floor pan in my sedan is as original. The riser to the seat (from the floor) was painted an odd color for some reason. Here is a picture of the interior as I was cleaning it up. Fortunately, it is a very low mileage Southern California survivor and there was only light surface rust on some of the interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-3--09 Teardown and cleaning (5).jpg (68.2 KB, 16 views)