Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Maclab58

Default Slant window kick panels.

I purchased a set of kick panels for a 31 slant window sedan I owned a few years ago but never got around to putting them in. I sold it to purchase a 31 Victoria and was told they would fit but again never got around to putting them in. Fast forward to now, I sold the Victoria to purchase a slant window cabriolet. I assume that they will fit? Would like some input before I pull it apart tomorrow.
Thx!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Slant window kick panels.

I have a Victoria and I just put cowl kick panels into it last evening. From what I can see, the kick panels are the same shape for all slant windshield cowls.

This is conjecture. I see no reason that the 1930-'31 cowl kick panels would be different regardless of a straight or slant windshield. My reasoning is that the kick panels interface with the gas tank, the cowl sides, the cowl floor rails and the "A" Pillars which appear to have the same shapes in 1930-'31 closed cars.

The vacuum line to the windshield wiper in the passenger's side of the cowl is the only potential interference problem.

The kick panels mount to the "A" Pillars with 4 fasteners on each. Starting at the bottom, the first 3 fasteners consist of a cup washer and an oval head sheet metal screw with coarse threads. The top fastener is common to the belt rail garnish molding, and it is a 12-24 machine screw going into a fixed nut in the cowl. I used all stainless steel hardware.

The interface of the gas tank and cowl is a potential leak site, so it's a good idea to attach plastic sheeting to the backsides of the cowl kick panels. Leave the bottom edge open to avoid condensation. I use plastic garbage bags and spray adhesive for this purpose.

I hope this helps you.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Maclab58

Thanks Bob!
Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
duke36

my slant window town sedan has 6 s.m. screws and cupwashers as has others I've seen . Perhaps there were variations? Also, the metal receiver tab at the bottom edge of the panel is painted body color
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Maclab58

Well........ I went over to the shop and got the new kick panels I bought from Lebaron Bonney. Box says 30-31 Victoria, on the back of the panels it says 30-31 slant window town sedan. Guess what, they don't fit the 31 cabriolet. Go figure. Could be modified to fit....... Bummer.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
jw hash

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
they should fit, the lower part of the cowl is the same as a Victoria, the 68C uses the same cowl as the A400. you need to remove your dash rail to install them. there is a groove in the toe board that the panel fits into.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Jason in TX

I saw that you are selling these kick panels. How did they not fit in the 68C? I may be potentially interested in them.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote