Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
gpowers

Default Acts like it's starving for fuel.

I just recently bought my first Model A and I am having problems keeping it running. I put in a new battery and it starts right up. It runs and idles well but when I try to drive it, it will start sputtering, backfires, and then dies. If I try to start it right away, it won't fire at all. If I let it set, it will start right up but does the same thing over again.

I have drained the fuel sediment bowl and disconnected and blown out the fuel line. There is a slow but steady stream of fuel coming from the line. I have also taken the carburetor apart (Tillotson, Model X) and cleaned it. I've ordered a carburetor kit but it has not arrived yet. I am going to try adjusting the float next because it acts like it is running out of fuel. I do not believe it is a spark issue because it runs very well until it acts like its out of fuel. I have also turned off the fuel valve after it stops running and removed the drain plug from the bottom of the float bowl and there isn't much fuel that comes out. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Gene
gpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Acts like it's starving for fuel.

Are you opening the GAV on the right side of the dash when starting (1/2-1 turn CCW and then adj after warming up ??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
WHN

Try running your car with the gas cap removed.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
mike657894

How long does it take to stall out? If you have the gav closed it will want to stall when cold and pop while climbing a hill. A bad coil can heat up and start having poor spark. A bad head gasket can let just enough water in to foul plugs and have them dry up by tomorrow. Pull the plugs after the stall and see if there is wetness and if there is get it on a paper towel and determine if it is gas or water. It could be other things too. Best of luck on your repairs.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Patrick L.

Have you tried running the GAV open 3/4 to 1 1/4 turns open to see if that helps ? Tillotson's prefer the GAV open much more than a Zenith. Also running without the fuel cap is a good suggestion, the vent may be clogged.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Rich in Tucson

Have run into 3 of these in a week! While standing at the carb and with the engine idling, slowly close the choke plate almost all the way but keep it running, then start opening the throttle - if it revs right up, you have a serious vacuum leak, probably at the manifold gaskets. One of these cars acted perfectly normal, idled well, revved right up for about 2 minutes and then died on throttle opening because it warmed up enough for the manifold leak to manifest itself.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
gpowers

Thank you all for your advice. I had a gentlemen send me a message suggesting it was a clogged fuel shut off valve. He explained how to clear it and I'll be danged if that wasn't the problem. It made perfect sense once he explained it. It is running like a million bucks now.

Gene
Old 01-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

how did you clear the clogged cut off valve ?
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #9
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Gene, If you list your State and city there might be a local member who could help you.
I always look at electrical first. As stated above if the coil is hot to touch let it cool then turn it wires up and see if it will run. Do you have a glass or cast iron sediment bowl.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Gene, Welcome to the Barn!
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
gpowers

After turning off the fuel valve, I loosened the fuel line at the sediment bowl and then removed it from the carburetor. I rotated it so that it was pointed up and secure it at the sediment bowl. I then open the fuel valve and took off the fuel cap. Finally, I blew into the open fuel line 5-6 times while listening for bubbles in the fuel tank. I turned the fuel valve off and reconnected the line to the carburetor and it worked like a milling bucks.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
gpowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansluck View Post
Gene, Welcome to the Barn!
Thank you. Glad to be here. Lots to learn.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
gpowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
how did you clear the clogged cut off valve ?
After turning off the fuel valve, I loosened the fuel line at the sediment bowl and then removed it from the carburetor. I rotated it so that it was pointed up and secure it at the sediment bowl. I then open the fuel valve and took off the fuel cap. Finally, I blew into the open fuel line 5-6 times while listening for bubbles in the fuel tank. I turned the fuel valve off and reconnected the line to the carburetor and it worked like a milling bucks.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
gpowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansluck View Post
Gene, If you list your State and city there might be a local member who could help you.
I always look at electrical first. As stated above if the coil is hot to touch let it cool then turn it wires up and see if it will run. Do you have a glass or cast iron sediment bowl.
I changed it. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #15
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpowers View Post
That'l work until the piece of dirt gets back to where it was plugging up the gas flow, then you'll have to blow it back again. Repeat as necessary.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

To keep this from occurring again from junk in your gas tank, recommend cleaning out the tank. Drain Tank, remove shutoff, seal shutoff opening, add some gas or rubbing alcohol, and rock the A to slosh the gas/alcohol around, and immediately drain through a stocking or similar filter. Repeat until comes out clean. Add a pencil filter to the Shutoff and reinstall it. Keep an eye on the sediment bowl and Carb filter, repeat if you see debris (rust, etc). There are many other tricks (magnets, etc) that can also help, lots of info here on the Barn if you do a search.

I've also read where some use a modified tire or bicycle pump to blow out gas lines if you get stuck on the road with a plugged up line.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #17
gpowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
To keep this from occurring again from junk in your gas tank, recommend cleaning out the tank. Drain Tank, remove shutoff, seal shutoff opening, add some gas or rubbing alcohol, and rock the A to slosh the gas/alcohol around, and immediately drain through a stocking or similar filter. Repeat until comes out clean. Add a pencil filter to the Shutoff and reinstall it. Keep an eye on the sediment bowl and Carb filter, repeat if you see debris (rust, etc). There are many other tricks (magnets, etc) that can also help, lots of info here on the Barn if you do a search.

I've also read where some use a modified tire or bicycle pump to blow out gas lines if you get stuck on the road with a plugged up line.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on draining and cleaning out the tank. I'll definitely look for a pencil filter and keep an eye on it.

Gene
Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpowers View Post
Thanks for the info. I was planning on draining and cleaning out the tank. I'll definitely look for a pencil filter and keep an eye on it.

Gene
More info in case you are unfamiliar with the Fuel "pencil filter", Model As did not originally come with one. The filter is a screen that sits on top of the shutoff on the the fuel side of the gas shutoff, and sticks up into the Gas Tank. This filter keeps flakes, grit from getting into and through the fuel shutoff valve. Many times the debris/grit gets into the valve and when you turn the valve on and off scratches/grooves the workings of the valve. This causes the valve not to turn off completely when in the valves closed position. If the carburetor float valve does not seat properly, gas will leak through a weep hole in the air intake of the carb, eventually emptying the gas tank.

Here is a link to a supplier listing for the filter.

https://www.brattons.com/fuel-tank-filter-screen.html
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #19
gpowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
More info in case you are unfamiliar with the Fuel "pencil filter", Model As did not originally come with one. The filter is a screen that sits on top of the shutoff on the the fuel side of the gas shutoff, and sticks up into the Gas Tank. This filter keeps flakes, grit from getting into and through the fuel shutoff valve. Many times the debris/grit gets into the valve and when you turn the valve on and off scratches/grooves the workings of the valve. This causes the valve not to turn off completely when in the valves closed position. If the carburetor float valve does not seat properly, gas will leak through a weep hole in the air intake of the carb, eventually emptying the gas tank.

Here is a link to a supplier listing for the filter.

https://www.brattons.com/fuel-tank-filter-screen.html
Thank you. That looks like a good website.

Gene
Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #20
chap52

A lot of the members on this site also post on https://www.vintagefordforum.net/forum
Lots of great info and help can be found on both sites.
Welcome aboard, enjoy the adventure, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote