Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Mike/Nebraska

Default Oil problems

I have an oil problem. I had my engine rebuilt by a reputable engine builder with inserts and I'm not getting oil in the rear half of the valve galley. Also it's carrying too much oil pressure. I have a guage that goes to 15 psi and it pegs it. I cut a valve cover in half so I could see how much oil was building up in the galley and it doesn't fill into the rear half of the valley. The engine builder and I are stumped. Any ideas ? I have to add that although my A is stock I have big and little tires and a lowering front spring but it's a minor rake...could that matter?
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: Oil problems

Stock engine should have ~ 3° slope to the rear.
Jack up the front of the truck enough to slope the engine and see if the oil gets to the back part of the galley.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/Nebraska View Post
I have an oil problem. I had my engine rebuilt by a reputable engine builder with inserts and I'm not getting oil in the rear half of the valve galley. Also it's carrying too much oil pressure. I have a guage that goes to 15 psi and it pegs it. I cut a valve cover in half so I could see how much oil was building up in the galley and it doesn't fill into the rear half of the valley. The engine builder and I are stumped. Any ideas ? I have to add that although my A is stock I have big and little tires and a lowering front spring but it's a minor rake...could that matter?

If its not getting to the back, where is it all going out the front by the cam gear?if so i would think that you will have to build that wall a little higher maybe.
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

At the front of the valve chamber there is a wall in the block with a hole that lets oil flow onto the timing gears. In many blocks, the hole in the wall is poorly formed in the casting (oversize, irregular and too low). This prevents the oil from reaching the proper levels in the valve chamber dams because the oil bleeds out into the timing gear compartment.

I have fixed this by putting a plate onto the wall with a 1" diameter hole in it. The plate was fastened to the wall using JB Weld. Usually there is enough of the original hole to locate the hole in the plate at the right height.

The right height of the hole should be the same height as the rear dam height. Thus the rear dam will fill and then oil will flow out of the hole in the forward wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valve Chamber (2).jpg (106.9 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 11-01-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
George Miller

What was done to the engine, did you use a stock pump, are you using a oil filter, do you have pressure oiling. Was the engine running. If it is stock oiling you better not run it. It will not be getting oil to the rear main.

A stock pump will fill the valley real quick.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
Mike/Nebraska

George, I poured oil in the back galley so the rear mains would get oil while I ran it. Oil builds up in the front galley, although it doesn't come close to filling it but never flows over to the back. When the motor first went bad there was no oil in the timing cover, it was dry. I sent it back and they repaired it supposedly bur this is the way I got it back.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Mike/Nebraska

George, I'm using a stock oil pump and no pressure oil system and no filter. And the oil does not flood the galley, it fills it some in the front.8
Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/Nebraska View Post
George, I'm using a stock oil pump and no pressure oil system and no filter. And the oil does not flood the galley, it fills it some in the front.8
you better be checking the pump and what drives it

you do have the spring on the bottom of the pump to hold it in place right?
also might want to check tube that the oil flows thru to flood that chamber almost sounds like it could be plugged!
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Dick Steinkamp

The fact that the oil pressure gauge pegs is likely a clue. I'd be looking for a blockage somewhere above the port you have the gauge hooked to.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
Tom Endy

A number of years ago there were some reproduction pump shaft offered by the suppliers that had the spiral grooves machined in the wrong direction. The grooves were for the purpose of forcing the oil up toward the valve chamber. I would be looking to disassemble the pump and see what is going on there, it may be a simple blockage.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
Mike/Nebraska

Well, I tried jacking up the front of the car and the engine is definitely lower in the rear and no change. The engine builder assured me the cleaned all of the oil passages. The spring is in place under the oil pump. This is the same pump that was in the original motor. The first time I got the motor from the builder it ran 800 miles and it burned up the no.2 and 3 mains. He said he found nothing wrong he had done so he only took care of half of the bill . When it came back this is what I
I got.

Last edited by Mike/Nebraska; 11-01-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
George Miller

I agree with Tom pull your pump, make sure some one did not modify it. I would get a different pump and try that. Also make sure the steel cup that the screen goes in has the gasket at the top between the pump and cup. If not it will suck air. If it is not the pump it most be blocked some where.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
40 Deluxe

Does your 'reputable' engine rebuilder specialize in A's, or has he at least done a number of them? Or does he specialize in cranking out 350 Chevies by the boatload? Is he close enough that he can come see what's going on, or have you trailer the car to him? Since this engine got oil to the rear and center mains before the rebuild, it should be getting oil now without needing the alterations some describe here. This points the finger at the rebuilder/assembler of your engine. It sounds like you have done a good job of locating the problem and having visible evidence of lack of oil. Now it should be up to him to fix it.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #14
Tom Endy

There are four passages from the valve chamber oil gallery that run down to the four mains. You can run a coat hanger wire from the gallery down each passage to see if they are open.

Another thought: are the insert bearings grooved properly and are they open to the oil channels from the gallery?

I am not a fan of inserts in a Model A engine. I prefer to have the engine re-babbited as Henry prescribed. I have heard people say that if you install inserts you should have the engine modified to pressurize the mains. I don't know how this done, but I have seen engines that were inserted that had external pipes running here and there.

I would certainly try another oil pump as suggested above.

From what you are describing about the builder, charging you half for the subsequent repair and not being able to resolve this issue, I would not be doing business with him.

Tom Endy
Old 11-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
There are four passages from the valve chamber oil gallery that run down to the four mains. You can run a coat hanger wire from the gallery down each passage to see if they are open.

Another thought: are the insert bearings grooved properly and are they open to the oil channels from the gallery?

I am not a fan of inserts in a Model A engine. I prefer to have the engine re-babbited as Henry prescribed. I have heard people say that if you install inserts you should have the engine modified to pressurize the mains. I don't know how this done, but I have seen engines that were inserted that had external pipes running here and there.

I would certainly try another oil pump as suggested above.

From what you are describing about the builder, charging you half for the subsequent repair and not being able to resolve this issue, I would not be doing business with him.

Tom Endy
"four mains"?? Have I needed stronger glasses all these years? Where is that fourth main hiding? And, the coat hanger trick may not be needed, as the problem is that there is no oil coming into the rear chamber to begin with.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #16
1931 flamingo

Save us all a problem. Who's the builder?? PM me OK.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
"four mains"?? Have I needed stronger glasses all these years? Where is that fourth main hiding? And, the coat hanger trick may not be needed, as the problem is that there is no oil coming into the rear chamber to begin with.

You are right, I was thinking four cylinders. Please don't have the Model A cops arrest me.

Tom Endy
Old 11-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #18
john in illinois

A lot of the rear chamber oil comes from the oil pump spinner gear with the grooves to sling oil from pump. Was this working when you looked at it running?
I know from experience that rear valve guides can starve if it is not working.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote