Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
Bruce_MO

Default 42-48 door fit help needed

I have a pretty nice original ‘46 Mercury sedan coupe, and both doors fit so tightly at the front of the door that they have rubbed the paint off at the cowl in an area about 4” to 10” below the top hinge. The car was hit in the front at some time, but it really didn’t seem to be a hard hit. The doors have also both swung wide open at some time in the past and have dented the cowl. I have all the front sheet metal off now, and it appears that the front body mount bolt at the cowl looks like it’s leaning back a bit on the drivers side (where it was hit before). So I’m speculating that the cowl has been pushed back a bit. The fit and gap of the back edges of both doors look straight and have a nice gap that looks “factory” to me. I have been trying to loosen the top hinges to see if I can move the door “backward”, but I get no adjustment.

I’m about to get a Porto-power to push the cowl and door jambs forward 1/16” to 1/8”. Before I start moving things around and do something I might regret, I was wondering if anyone else has ideas and things to try to adjust the fit.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or experiences.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: 42-48 door fit help needed

we hit a deer with our '41 and it pushed the R. fender into the door. I put a piece of 2X4 inside, against the cowl where it meets the floor and hit it with a LARGE hammer and it moved back into position. It also took most of outward bow out of the panel in front of the door.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #3
5851a

Would it possible for you to take it to a body shop and have it pulled? I worked in a body shop for awhile and watched the boss do some amazing pulls. He had porta powers also and used for some things but the pulling with whole car tied down seemed almost like reversing the impact. Just my thoughts.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #4
larrys40

Bruce
I had a problem when I was working on my 48 coupe body. It had a a similar issue along with some others. I did do a pull it two and porta power work on the door opening. I noticed your front Runningboard cage bolts are rusted when I was there last week. They all down the board may be trouble to get out if you haven’t already I can share my fix on

them if you wish. Back on the body, the fit of the doors fore and aft along with top door fit at rain gutters all needs to be analyzed. It might help to get a tram and do some measurements. You would best served doing body manipulation with the body still in the chassis. I did some in mine. Happy to chat if you need.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #5
Bruce_MO

Hi Larry,

I’ll give you a call. Both doors do seem to fit very well at the top and at the rear edges.

And yes, the cage nuts at the lower cowl for the trailing edge of the fenders and for the boards are rusted away. I have a few ideas, but I’d like to hear what you did.

I’ll call you soon. Thanks

Bruce
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote