Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
denniskliesen

Default Oil filter housing for a Burtz Block

For the past several months I have had several of the new filter housings I designed and tested as shown in the pictures. It bolts the your Burtz Block in place of the timing cover. All of the evaluation testers are very pleased to date with their results. The housing requires only one hose or tube from the side of the block to the filter housing. It has an external adjustable relief valve. Set it to the desired pressure you want and you are good to go. If you use this housing on your Burtz Block and are using a modified or stock pump, you will not need a relief valve on your pump. You will no longer need to drill the hole in the bottom corner of your block, no need to tap for a HeliCoil and no need to purchase a special bolt. You can use your original dome head bolts. If your block has already been drilled, simply install a HeliCoil. The filter is a common item for quite a few modern Ford and other applications, off the shelf item at parts stores, Amazon or eBay. The filter mounts horizontally so the mess is reduced and the new filter can be filled with oil before installing.

If I can figure out how to change the title it should be “Oil Filter/Relief Valve”. This unit has the capability of eliminating unnecessary parts.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 06-17-2022 at 12:40 AM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #2
johnneilson

Default Re: Oil filter housing for a Burtz Block

Quite impressive, good on you.

John
Old 06-16-2022, 08:52 PM   #3
alexiskai

Would this work on a stock engine?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:54 PM   #4
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
No, this only works on a Burtz engine.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:15 PM   #5
Synchro909

Will they be available in Australia? Dean Roberts maybe?
Old 06-17-2022, 12:30 AM   #6
denniskliesen

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
No, sorry it is designed specifically for a Burtz Block out of the box. You might be able to modify it to work on a stock block. You would need to do rerouting of the clean oil passage of your block.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:34 AM   #7
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Will they be available in Australia? Dean Roberts maybe?
Arnold, yes I should be able to supply. I’ll wait for Dean to reply and we can discuss shipping.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:13 AM   #8
Hotrodfil

That looks a lovely well designed part.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:03 AM   #9
chrs1961815

Looks like it belongs there!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:43 AM   #10
nkaminar

Very nice. Please provide instructions on how to order, and pricing.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:54 AM   #11
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Very nice. Please provide instructions on how to order, and pricing.
Send me an email to get on the list. [email protected] I will update when I get word from the foundry and machine shop.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
denniskliesen

Default Re: Oil Filter/Relief Valve housing for a Burtz Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Looks like it belongs there!
Thanks! Those were my intentions. First it needed to work and reduce the amount of parts required for a filter installation and pressure regulator to be able to adjust the desired oil pressure externally. After that I wanted it to blend in to the details of the Model A engine.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #13
Ruth

That looks really nice Dennis. Is this a full flow filter?
Old 06-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #14
katy

What material is it made out of? Aluminum? Cast Iron? Unobtanium?
Old 06-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #15
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Thanks! Those were my intentions. First it needed to work and reduce the amount of parts required for a filter installation and pressure regulator to be able to adjust the desired oil pressure externally. After that I wanted it to blend in to the details of the Model A engine.

Dennis and I both included a Scat oil filter/pressure relief/bi-pass on our early Burtz engine builds. It required 3 hoses or tubes, was prone to leaking, did not have enough internal capacity to eliminate excessive pressure at high rpm and looked as ugly as sin. While testing, we shared information regarding pumps, system pressures and concerns about over pressure loads on the stock oil pump drive gear. We were/are concerned the teeth on the oil pump drive gear and camshaft would be loaded too severely.

It was Dennis alone that came up with the design he is now showing Forum members. What I see he has not mentioned on this Forum is the following:

His design will work well with a pump that delivers more volume than the engine can absorb or leak by the bearings. Too much volume will result in the system oil pressure rising at higher rpm and the result of driving the oil pump to higher pressure is the oil pump drive gear will be stressed beyond what it was designed to endure.

There are a couple oil pumps being brought to market that include a built-in relief. There are also some engine builders adding reliefs to available pumps (I'm one) that put out too much volume...The Stipe pump is an example that I have been using. The issue you have with adding a relief to the Stipe pump or using a new pump with an integral relief is that you have no ability to fine tune the system pressure without removing the oil pan to make adjustments. The design Dennis is proposing allows for precise adjustment of system oil pressure without dropping the pan. Another great thing about this design is it just looks like it could have been a part designed and built by Henry Ford.

In summary: An integral relief at the pump, adequately sized to relieve a large volume of oil flow, helps eliminate over-pressure at higher rpms of a high-capacity oil pump. The externally adjustable bi-pass of the Kliesen filter adapter helps to provide a more consistent oil pressure at all rpms.

Great design Dennis. Thanks for making this product available for the Burtz engine.

I'm already on the list to purchase a number of them from the first run.

Dave Gerold
Durable Performance

Last edited by Dave in MN; 06-18-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:12 PM   #16
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
That looks really nice Dennis. Is this a full flow filter?
Yes it is a full flow filter with a external adjustable relief.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #17
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
What material is it made out of? Aluminum? Cast Iron? Unobtanium?
It will be made of sand cast iron. I want the outer surface to match the block and cylinder head.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #18
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Dennis and I both included an oil filter/pressure relief/bi-pass on our early Burtz engine builds. We shared information regarding pumps, system pressures and concerns about over pressure loads on the stock oil pump drive gear.

It was Dennis alone that came up with the design he is now showing Forum members. What I see he has not mentioned on this Forum is the following:

His design will work well with a pump that delivers more volume than the engine can absorb or leak by the bearings. Too much volume will result in the system oil pressure rising at higher rpm and the result of driving the oil pump to higher pressure is the oil pump drive gear will be stressed beyond what it was designed to endure.

There are a couple oil pumps being brought to market that include a built-in relief. There are also some engine builders adding reliefs to available pumps (I'm one) that put out too much volume...The Stipe pump is an example that I have been using. The issue you have with adding a relief to the Stipe pump or using a new pump with an integral relief is that you have no ability to fine tune the system pressure without removing the oil pan to make adjustments. The design Dennis is proposing allows for precise adjustment of system oil pressure without dropping the pan. Another great thing about this design is it just looks like it could have been a part designed and built by Henry Ford.

In summary: An integral relief at the pump, adequately sized to relieve a large volume of oil flow, helps eliminate over-pressure at higher rpms of a high-capacity oil pump. The externally adjustable bi-pass of the Kliesen filter adapter helps to provide a more consistent oil pressure at all rpms.

Great design Dennis. Thanks for making this product available for the Burtz engine.

I'm already on the list to purchase of number of them from the first run.

Dave Gerold
Durable Performance
Dave, thank you for the comments. Yes you are on the list and I haven’t forgotten how many you asked for.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:00 PM   #19
nkaminar

I am making the following assumptions. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I assume that the pressure gauge shown can be replaced by my sending unit, perhaps with the appropriate adapter and that this measures the oil pressure before the filter.

I assume that the pressure regulator if before the filter and that it dumps what oil is relieved back into where the timing gear is.

I assume that all the oil that gets through the filter goes into the oil gallery for lubrication of the engine bearings, etc. (This is a pretty sure assumption, but just checking.) Disregard this assumption. I see in Post #16 that it is a full flow system.

By the way, I replaced the oil relief spring in my Stripe oil pump with a lighter one. It was too short and I stretched it out so that the length increased by about 1/4 inch. This gives me 20 to 25 psi. The old spring was giving me 50 to 60 psi in the old engine. (The old engine had pressure lubrication too.) The old engine had the spring for the oil pump gear mounted with a spacer so the original rebuilder must have known about the problem with the oil pump/distributor drive gear. I like the fact that this unit is adjustable from the outside.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-17-2022 at 02:16 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #20
ETAModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
For the past several months I have had several of the new filter housings I designed and tested as shown in the pictures. It bolts the your Burtz Block in place of the timing cover. All of the evaluation testers are very pleased to date with their results. The housing requires only one hose or tube from the side of the block to the filter housing. It has an external adjustable relief valve. Set it to the desired pressure you want and you are good to go. If you use this housing on your Burtz Block and are using a modified or stock pump, you will not need a relief valve on your pump. You will no longer need to drill the hole in the bottom corner of your block, no need to tap for a HeliCoil and no need to purchase a special bolt. You can use your original dome head bolts. If your block has already been drilled, simply install a HeliCoil. The filter is a common item for quite a few modern Ford and other applications, off the shelf item at parts stores, Amazon or eBay. The filter mounts horizontally so the mess is reduced and the new filter can be filled with oil before installing.

If I can figure out how to change the title it should be “Oil Filter/Relief Valve”. This unit has the capability of eliminating unnecessary parts.
Dennis, it was great to visit with you and Terry Burtz at Kerrville. I really like your design for the oil filter. Like I told you, if my engine in my Fordor fails or starts declining, I will look very hard at the Burtz engine and your filter assembly. I wish you had some printed material for your product similar to what Terry had...but everything in due time I'm sure.

I had a great time in Kerrville but had to return to north Texas last night...the curse of the working class.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote