Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Tedsgoldmine

Default car cover

I have to put my 1939 standard coupe outside for a few months and am hoping someone can share their experiences and recommendations for the best all weather car cover I can purchase that is most suitable for the coupe body shape.

Thanks

Gavin
Tedsgoldmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
V8 Bob

Default Re: car cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsgoldmine View Post
I have to put my 1939 standard coupe outside for a few months and am hoping someone can share their experiences and recommendations for the best all weather car cover I can purchase that is most suitable for the coupe body shape.

Thanks

Gavin

California Car Covers are high quality with a great selection.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
DavidG

Agreed!
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
cmbrucew

Gavin

I bought a Noah all weather cover from California car Cover in July 2018 and it has been great. Well worth the money. $257.99 with free shipping.

Bruce
Old 03-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
19Fordy

Even with the car cover the moisture evaporating
upward from the ground will rust away the frame.
Moisture barrier is needed.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
V12Bill

Outside, the wind will blow dust and dirt up under the cover and it will sit between the cover and the paint and act as sandpaper. Probable the best cover would be no cover other than a carport to keep bird droppings and tree sap off the finish. The best cover might be a portable garage or tint like canvas structure if outside storage must take place.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
A bones

Go heavy on the wax. Park on pavement, or put a plastic cover on the ground beneath it. California Car Covers are nice fitting. Moisture will penetrate though. They protect from sun.

V12Bill makes a good point.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
TJ

Do not put plastic tarps over the car cover! The car will sweat under the tarp and it will damage the paint. Seen that happen more than once.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Gavin

I bought a Noah all weather cover from California car Cover in July 2018 and it has been great. Well worth the money. $257.99 with free shipping.

Bruce
I also have a Noah and t s a great cover. I do remove it often to use the California car duster they make also. They offer different covers depending on your storage situation.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
DavidG

Use a moisture barrier underneath even if it is sitting on concrete or other paving as moisture will come up through the paving, especially in late winter or early spring. That's why so many so-called barn finds are rusty from the bottom up even if the floor of the barn was concrete.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
Tedsgoldmine

Thank you very much everyone, you've given me lots to consider and I'll be sure to protect from the ground up.
Tedsgoldmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
corvette8n

I put mine in a portable garage for a month(it used to house my tractor), I put lots of moth balls inside and several of those green square rodent pellets around the car, in a day the pellets were gone, I replenished them every day until I brought the car back to the garage. When you do bring it back inside be sure to pull the rear seat to check for any rodent activity.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
tubman

Several years ago, when I had more cars than I had storage, I had to put some of them in a damp underground garage. I knew there would be a moisture problem, so I looked into what my alternatives were. I ended up covering each car with a cheap thin car cover, and then rolling them into these large plastic bags. The people I bought them from said they were for car storage, but I found later they were originally meant for outdoor grain storage. It took a little effort (the more help you have the better) to get the cars positioned right, but after I got them where I wanted them, I placed a tray of desiccant under each car, and used my shop vac to suck as much air out of the bag as possible before sealing them up. When I removed the cars from the bags the next spring, everything was perfect; no rust, no mold, nothing. They were like the day I rolled them in.

I did the same thing the next winter. That spring, while the results were still OK, they weren't as good as the first year. It turns out that moving the cars in and out and folding them up to store them over the summer caused some pinholes in the bags, so they wouldn't seal perfectly on the second use. They were only about $90 each as I remember, so they were a good one year solution. If you have to do it subsequent years, I would suggest buying new bags every year; 90 bucks ain't that much. I never tried it, but I would expect the results would be good if you left the car in the bag for several years if it weren't disturbed.

Just another alternative.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Outside, the wind will blow dust and dirt up under the cover and it will sit between the cover and the paint and act as sandpaper. Probable the best cover would be no cover other than a carport to keep bird droppings and tree sap off the finish. The best cover might be a portable garage or tint like canvas structure if outside storage must take place.

Agree 100%....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
grumppyoldman

If you an find some Fresh Cab, it will keep the rodents out and will not make it smell bad. I found mine at Ace Hardware, probably find it on the internet also. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
flatford8

Check “car jacket”. Also sold by California Car Covers I believe. I know someone who uses them and he has no mouse or moisture issue parked on a concrete garage floor...Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #17
russcc

Tip on keeping our furry fiends out our cars without the stink of mothballs. Get oil of peppermint from a health food store like Whole Foods. Squirt some on cotton balls in an open container and put them in the car in several places. Renew the peppermint oil in the cotton balls every month or so. Or you can find a product made by Bonide that does the same thing for more money at Home Depot. Active ingredients, you guessed it, Peppermint oil. The critters hate it, but it smells great.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #18
richard crow

get walk the plank mouse trap i have caught over 125 mice with one
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote