Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Ken Ehrenhofer

Default Fordwood are they OK?

A friend of mine is trying to buy some wood from Ford Wood. He cannot reach them and they do return phone calls for two weeks. Does anyone know if they are still in business???
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Fordwood are they OK?

A search on the barn will show that like you, many have had problems contacting them, and not just recently.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Mike

Don't waste your time.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Go to 'Classic Wood" in North Carolina, Good service, Good Parts! A little expensive but an overall good experience!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Ken Ehrenhofer

Just got a call back after two weeks maybe my post did some good Thanks to the Barn
Old 02-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Ken Ehrenhofer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This is fro a friend and it is for a Model T 1915 Where else can I go for this wood??
Old 03-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
redmodelt

Tell him to get the parts catalogs from Lang's or Snyder's the wood kits are listed. Just be sure he knows that the kits, same with A's, are NOT plug and play. There were several company's building the bodies in 1915 (same 1908 up to about mid 20's) and people think they were peas in a pod (have you ever really looked at peas in a Pod!) they were not. While Fordwood is hard to get a hold of they do a nice job. Hope he still has his old wood because as with other kits, there is not a lot of instructions that come with the kits. If you have T questions I would also suggest asking on the Model T Ford Club of Americas forum and in the T section here.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:01 AM   #8
Beauford

Well, that just answered a question on wood vendors for me. What was drawing me to Fordwood was I only need some individual pieces where everyone else you have to buy the whole kit. In my case having a Leatherback the wood cost more than the whole vehicle did...and what I have in it which is a lot.
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Kevin in NJ

My experience with Fordwood was on track with many other peoples experiences. While people did not want to post online, I got a bunch of guys emailing me warning me of poor performance from Fordwood. Generally the wood, if you got it, was not well done. For a while people were charged first and then you might get your wood. He had moved several times across state lines making restitution difficult for these people.

I ordered the top and belt wood for a 68C. Nothing fit and I never got the #2 bow. Fortunatly he never charged me. On the other hand, the wood is not close enough to be useable so I guess we are even. Oh and yes, he was impossible to get a hold of once I made the order.

I should also add this all was like 10 years ago.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
ronn

I used fordwood for a cabriolet header- 1930 and was very happy.

yes, I had to wait for them to do a run, but they were responsive, reasonable and polite.

Guess nobody else is happy with them, but I give them an A.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
Terry, NJ

I can only relate my experiences. I'v never bought anything from 'Ford wood" so I can't say anything about them , only relate hearsay. I tried making my own, the body wood. Much of my wood was so far gone it couldn't be used for a pattern and I was forced by circumstance to buy it. Especially my topwood and sills. I also found that there is not hardly a square angle in the car. I searched for and found two planers, One of which was a hand planer. These two made handling the angles a little easier. The total wood bill for my Town Sedan is well over $4000, so it behooves me to shave that cost by anything I could. Even so, I paid over $ 1800 for wood. I was fortunate that I had a large Ash tree that had to come down, so I had plenty of material to work with. The saw mill charged me $35 to rip it into planks. It's all in my picture album. But back to what I bought from Classic wood,in NC, which was a few individual pieces in addition to their "Kits" (Top wood, bottom wood etc). At that time a man a named Steve Cannon ran Classic Wood. Steve was great to deal with. I believe Steve has since passed away and there is a new owner. But My experiences with the company were very good.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
redmodelt

Re; moved several times across state lines; to the best of my knowledge the company was started in Beaverton Or and at some point the Cubel's moved it to Utah where it has been located for a very long time.
http://www.fordwood.com/faqs.htm
http://www.fordwood.com/
Someone in the past 10 years has redone the drawings for some years open T's. Post on the MTFCA forum and ask who it is.