Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
Drive Shaft Dave

Default Re: Everyone should own a copy of the Model A Service Bulletins

I have owned The Yellow Book since 1973, If you own a Model A , this should be part of your library.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #22
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

The Service Bulletins are great as is Victor Page's Model A Book. The Page book is great reading material and you follow along as a Early '28 Coupe is stripped down and put back together with detailed info of each process.

To me the Service Bulletins are a hell of a lot better resource than the Les Andrews books some folks seem to pine over.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #23
columbiA

Ive had my Dan Post repro of the SB,s since 1957.I used the instructions to replace the top on the Victoria that I had at the time.It realy helps to know when changes took place.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
frank55a

MARC did publish a full size reprint of the Service Bulletins. MARC's publication was sold in a 3 ring binder, which had embossed covers looked similar to the original SB covers. MARC's copy was a good quality reprint and available from 1997 until a few years ago. I do not know of any plans to reprint this copy.

The Ford Motor Company had 35 Branch Offices in the US during the Model A era. The Service Letters (also known as 'Assembly Change Letters'), from 3 of these branch offices are available still available from MARC. However, when the supply runs out, I am not aware of any plans for additional reprinting. Since changes happened so quickly during the Model A era, the Service Bulletins many times followed changes by several weeks. The Service Letters from the Branches (Assembly Plants) supplemented the Service Bulletins and in many cases contained more detail. The service Letters were technical letters to the dealers, and advised the dealer of any and all changes in assembling the Model A and AA. They were also published more frequently than once a month so they contained more up to date information for the Dealers. For example, the 1928 Fargo, ND Service Letters contain about as many pages as the full set of the Service Bulletins.

The Service Bulletins are a great reference document and every Model Aer should have a copy. Likewise, the Service Letters contain a lot of information that is not in the Bulletins. I also strongly suggest that every Model Aer purchase a copy of Steve Plucker's Comprehensive Index which covers the Service Bulletins and the 3 sets of the Service letters that are available.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
Don/WI

I have a copy of the Service Bulletins that was printed in paperback that measures 5.75" x 8.5". I bought it shortly after I bought my first "A" in 1966. It wa sabout the only technical book available at the time. It was my "A" Bible. Every page is worn and there are "dirty grease" smudges all over the edges. I wouldn't sell that book for any money. Everytime I pick it up, I recall all of the times I opened the pages to get answers to questions I had. Today I have the reprint of the original size Service Bulletins with the three ring folder, along with all of Les Andrews technical publications as well as many of the other technical books available. They all have valuable information, but none bring back the pleasent memories I have of using that first copy of the Service Bulletins that I have. Guess my age is showing. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/WI View Post
I have a copy of the Service Bulletins that was printed in paperback that measures 5.75" x 8.5". I bought it shortly after I bought my first "A" in 1966. It wa sabout the only technical book available at the time. It was my "A" Bible. Every page is worn and there are "dirty grease" smudges all over the edges. I wouldn't sell that book for any money. Everytime I pick it up, I recall all of the times I opened the pages to get answers to questions I had. Today I have the reprint of the original size Service Bulletins with the three ring folder, along with all of Les Andrews technical publications as well as many of the other technical books available. They all have valuable information, but none bring back the pleasent memories I have of using that first copy of the Service Bulletins that I have. Guess my age is showing. Don/WI
I'm the same way with mine. Between the Service Bulletins, Page's book, and an old Dyke's manual and the How To Restore your Model A series, I got through most any problem I had.

When the Les Andrews book first came out, you would've thought it was the second coming of Christ the way some talked about that book. It pales in comparison to the Service Bulletins, the Service Letters(glad to see some of those get reprinted).
Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
MARC did publish a full size reprint of the Service Bulletins. MARC's publication was sold in a 3 ring binder, which had embossed covers looked similar to the original SB covers. MARC's copy was a good quality reprint and available from 1997 until a few years ago. I do not know of any plans to reprint this copy.

The Ford Motor Company had 35 Branch Offices in the US during the Model A era. The Service Letters (also known as 'Assembly Change Letters'), from 3 of these branch offices are available still available from MARC. However, when the supply runs out, I am not aware of any plans for additional reprinting. Since changes happened so quickly during the Model A era, the Service Bulletins many times followed changes by several weeks. The Service Letters from the Branches (Assembly Plants) supplemented the Service Bulletins and in many cases contained more detail. The service Letters were technical letters to the dealers, and advised the dealer of any and all changes in assembling the Model A and AA. They were also published more frequently than once a month so they contained more up to date information for the Dealers. For example, the 1928 Fargo, ND Service Letters contain about as many pages as the full set of the Service Bulletins.

The Service Bulletins are a great reference document and every Model Aer should have a copy. Likewise, the Service Letters contain a lot of information that is not in the Bulletins. I also strongly suggest that every Model Aer purchase a copy of Steve Plucker's Comprehensive Index which covers the Service Bulletins and the 3 sets of the Service letters that are available.
I would like to see a reprint of all the Fordson/Dearborn Service Letters if there is such a thing. And as Vince says...New York, Louisville and any others that are out there.

By the way...are there others floating around????

Pluck

Last edited by 329s; 07-25-2012 at 11:11 PM.
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #28
Bick in New Zealand

Has anyone seen a full set of Canadian ones?

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
John Butts in CT

I've been offline for a while, but I couldn't agree more that an owner's manual (correct year) and a copy of Ford’s Model A Service Bulletins are the first two books any "A" owner should acquire.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #30
KR500

Just another belief that all responders are correct in their belief of how good the Service bulletins are. Every A owner should read them and refer to them. Some years back I acquired a Ford publication on Ford alignment. It was published in 1936, but the info actually is correct for all the Ford front axle layouts thru V-8 years. I asked Pluck about the publication and the Ford schools which were set up in major cities, but were not able to find out much. I also approached Post Poly prints about reprinting the book, no interest. I scanned the book and anyone wanting a copy which is 63 pages can contact me. For the price of postage and a CD i will forward it. I will email anyone interested a few pages to see, no charge. [email protected]
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
sconnors

Just got mine the other day and haven't put it down...what a wealth of information! I'm new to the "A" world and this seems like a great tool to have!
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #32
Kurt in NJ

Since i first got the car I have had a reprint, not knowing what i was missing till I got an original ---many pictures, and hand written notes in the margins from training school on the early editions, corrections and refrences to them on the later ones
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
Duffy1

Marco ;

I wish I had seen your post before I ordered " Ford Service Bulletins Complete " . $50 delivered and a big disappointment . Vendor said they were THE "Ford Service Bulletins " Same as the ones that are out of print . Live and learn .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #34
Semper Fi

Isn't Bratton's number 37340 the one I should have? ($16.50)

Ernie

Last edited by Semper Fi; 08-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #35
d.j. moordigian

There is an original on ebay...1920-? (has A's),.......$ 845.00....

d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #36
Semper Fi

Wow, that's a tidy sum. I'd be afraid of spilling a can of oil on it.(I'm kinda clumsy)
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #37
BILL WILLIAMSON

Somewhere in the Bulletins, I read,"When washing your car, engage the park brake, so it doesn't get water in it"?????????? Bill W.