Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
David J

Default Of 33 5w's,black widows -n- brook trout

Thought i'd share this . The pics start with this 5w in it's loonngg time hideout in Sonora California on 12/18/2010 when I picked it up . Got a real good look at Black Widow webs underneath most everything but the -28 temp we drove through in South Dakota on the way home took care of that problem .The next pics are during ressurection and after it was running-driving again .It had the 34 intake already and I am using this car for summer wheels so I left it and also the oil bath air cleaner that was on it . The little-proper air cleaner was lying on the right running board . That's it in the motor pic . The last pic and my new avitar pic are from yesterday and that is all the Brook Trout Wisconsin allows you to catch .The biggest one was just shy of 13 " and just over a pound . Lunch today was really tasty . I wonder if anyone before me displayed a nice limit of brookies on it's running board ? .The gentleman that sold me the car said there are brook trout in the area . Made me think of the pics of Babe Ruth with game draped all over a 35 Ford . Not sure of the technical merit of all this but it shows ya can take your old ford on a fishing trip . Besides the new top isn't installed yet and it is a perfect place to put your 9 foot fly rod Be sure to take it out before putting the car back in the basement though or it will be considerably shorter . David J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33_013.jpg (69.8 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg 1004582.jpg (112.7 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 1004642.jpg (107.5 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2167.jpg (83.0 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2397.jpg (91.8 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2546.jpg (86.3 KB, 434 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Randy

Default Re: Of 33 5w's,black widows -n- brook trout

Love it, great car!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
lotsagas4u

Very nice, gotta love that original/as found/ look.
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Bob NH

Well Damn ! Thems fine lookin Brookies and the coupe ain't too shabby either. A 34 that I built just like yours went cruising by the house today when I was mowing the lawn but I couldn't catch it on the cub cadet. Really neat pics. gotta love um.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
FL&WVMIKE

DAVID ..............
I like that coupe ! I was under the impression that you had it for a good while. I see that it is a new find. That's great !
Bring your fishing pole to Florida !
Good luck,
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
David J

Smile Re: Of 33 5w's,black widows -n- brook trout

Randy , Thanks and this is the car we talked about . Bought it here on Fordbarn . Congrats on finding family members of the prior owner of your 33 5w . Pretty neat stuff !! lotsagas4u , I will confess to liking old dirty closet case stuff . BOB NH , Thanks and I was pretty pleased with that catch as the stream I caught them in you can jump across in places . Maybe a V-8 60 fer da cub cadet ? Hey Mikey , Thanks and the fishing gear I use there I leave at my house there as you don't need 125 lb line for these brookies !! A big old black belly gag grouper on the other hand would instantly destroy my flimsy 9 ft flyrod with 4 lb test line . Yes I just bought this 33 5w but the confusion probably came from me talking about the 33 5w I drove as my only working vehicle in 74&75 . At that time it was hard to have two nickels to rub together at the same time . That coupe wasn't as good as this one . It was a MN car . It was a May car also . Heres a few more pics of the coupe and the gentleman that sold it to me . Kirt and his wife Cheryl are great people and HONEST as there was $200.00 too much in the envelope I gave them and they RETURNED IT !!!!! How many folks do you find like that nowdays ? That's Kirt looking at the camera before we pulled the car out of it's nest . His Dad Bought the car from a family member in 1955 . Tranny had some broken teeth and he doesn't think his Dad ever drove it . Besides his dad was 11 at the time he bought it . Thanks again to all and if you notice furry looking stuff under the rear yes that's some of the black widow webs . The web thing with this car was pretty amazing but maybe that's why there weren't any mouse issues ? David J

Last edited by David J; 05-25-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
David J

Red face Re: Of 33 5w's,black widows -n- brook trout

Maybe someday I will actually figure out how to do the computer thing properly - anyway here's the pics that were supposed to be with my reply above . OOOPS David J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (64.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3918.jpg (45.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 1004593.jpg (64.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 1004607.jpg (72.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1911.jpg (74.9 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2403.jpg (85.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2404.jpg (91.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

DAVID J ................................
Now, that Wisconsin fishing gear, used down here in Florida, would really test your fishing skills !
What's the interior of that '33 like ?
MIKE
Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
David J

Hey Mikey , I think Mr Grouper would not even realize he had a problem before he busted EVERYTHING !!! The 9' 8 " hammerhead shark on my livingroom wall didn't know he had a problem until he saw the boat but when he did realize he had a problem he proved to be a VERY FORMIDABLE opponent . I won the contest but he pretty much ground me down to sitting and watching for a while after finally getting him in the boat . Brook trout fishing gear would be useless there . Heck even the gear we use to catch live sardines for bait there is way sturdier than brookie fishing stuff . The interior is not real good and the door panels were nowhere to be found even though we found all the clips-screws to hold them on . There is an old seat cover over the mohair on the seat and I haven't looked underneath it . The headliner was hanging down pretty bad so I removed it . Lighter works though ! You can see some woodgrain and it is pretty good on the backsides of the garnish mouldings . Side panels are all there but are dirty and not real good . She's summer wheels as she is except for covering the flyrod hole in the roof . PS that's your NOS 33 hubcap on the LF . Thanks David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
DAVID J ................................
Now, that Wisconsin fishing gear, used down here in Florida, would really test your fishing skills !
What's the interior of that '33 like ?
MIKE
Old 05-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Bob NH

I think I'm going to melt down or go into cardiac arrest looking at the coupe. A couple of years back, well actually a lot of years back I bought a mint condition 34 five window for the astounding sum of $20.00 ! the engine was missing, otherwise complete. A while later I bought a 46-48 Merc engine (not sure which) which a N.Y. fellow working at a summer camp who had a bit too much sauce plowed into a big maple head on. Got that engine for another twenty and about twenty more bought two water pumps and I think a dist. At the time I was not too bright (still not) about what I had to do to get the clutch and all to work in the shallow trans. case. Was driving a 39 two dr. sedan at the time and got discouraged and traded both for what I thought would be a lady killer 1949 Ford conv. That didn't work as well either ! That was my biggest mistake in life unless you want to hear about a 32 roadster and frame I also bought for twenty ? Keep rollin and grabbin those fish. Old N.H. Buzzard
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
FL&WVMIKE

DAVID ............
I was just joshing you about bringing your 4 lb. test line to Florida. Of course, you knew that !
Hey, put some Gibbs Oil on that woodgrain. I bet you have more woodgrain left than you think. It will bring it out. That's what they use on "barn-find" motorcycles, to bring out faded details. It is pricey, about $20.00 for a spray can. You will, probably, have to order it. GOOGLE for details. You might want to do the whole car in it.
I saw the photo of "my" NOS '33 hubcap, on your car. In that same photo, I also noticed how well that L/F door fits - that's factory fit !
I assume that you got all those extra parts that were laying around that garage, didn't you ?
I also assume that you are that handsome fellow, in one of the photos.
Great find - Great car !
Thanks for sharing !
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 05-25-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
Randy

you can get Gibbs Brand at:

www.roadsters.com
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
gerrald meacham

Love 34 5 windows going to get the one ive had for thirty years on the road again ,
gerrald meacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
David J

Bob NH , My first 5w cost me $60.00 in the mid 60's and it like yours was missing it's motor . Had to make payments as that was a kings ransom to a 13 year old kid . Sounds like you have had some GOOD deals fall your way . One sad story of mine involves a NICE motorless 33 dlx 3w that I could not afford in 1969 . $ 300.00 and I just didn't have it . No rust-few dents and decent gennie interior , chrome and black paint . Rest assured this 5w is going fishing MANY times as I think these cars should be driven and besides if you fix stuff up like it should be they work fine . Sure get a lot of phones pointed at ya though driving down the road . Mikey - Sent ya a PM and heres a pic from this morning of yours truly . Not me in the other pics except on your " faces of fordbarn " thread . 2 posts there . Randy , Thanks for the tip an izza gonna git me sum . gerrald Meacham , By all means git the old gal on the road again - you'll both be happy bout that . I personally cannot think of a model 40 I don't like and 5w's are WAY UP the list . Thanks to all and ENJOY DRIVING your old Fords David J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2577.jpg (90.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Six Pack to go

Great find!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
Rusty Junk Ranch

Damn, I knew I should have gone and seen that car !
It was only a couple of hours from where I live. Congrats !!!
Old 05-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #17
David J

Bringing this back up as it has Mike chiming in and Brook Trout .
Old 05-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Bringing this back up as it has Mike chiming in and Brook Trout .

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote