Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
coupe1942

Default Some folks support the VETS

My wife and I had attended a large car show in Shawnee, Ok. today and had pulled into a cafe there to eat. As we were going to be seated at our table I had an older lady call to me to come back to her table. I didn't know her and I thought that perhaps she wanted directions or something. She had her walker by her at her table and her husband sat across from her there.

She called me to her and asked me if I had ever been in the service. I told her yes, but that I was not on active duty. She said that didn't matter in the least and that she had something special that she had made for me. She reached down into a knitting bag and handed me a beaded picture of an eagle and the flag. It was a really, really, really nice gesture from her, but I was embarrassed to accept it. Again I tried to hand it back and explain that I was not active duty, but she refused it and told me, "I am not crazy, but I make these myself and I give them to every VET I see." It made her happy to bring a bit of joy to any VET and she told me that her grandson is in the Navy.

My wife went over later before they left the cafe and thanked her profusely for her gift to me. She told her that I had been in both the Air Force and the Navy. The couple left at that time, but I have to admit that I was touched greatly by her gift to a stranger. God bless her and folk like her, as our VETS do deserve much, much better treatment than they often get. The attached photo doesn't do justice to how cool the beaded picture actually is. She didn't seem to want me to give it to someone else, although I believe there are tons more deserving. I'll find a special place for it and always remember that there are some really good people out there who want nothing in return for just being nice. It is an early 4th of July gift.

She didn't say how many she had given away, but I feel like today was one wonderful day, for sure because of her. Bless her and her hubby both. A true gift from the heart to a VET and I'll treasure it for a long, long time. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MADE FOR A VET.jpg (67.5 KB, 123 views)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Some folks support the VETS

Thanks for your post ! A few months ago, a man come in to the restaurant wearing hat, medals,and badges very evident a vet. When I left I walk over and shook is hand, this put a smile on his face for it seamed to me he was not well. Thanks to all you vets we can enjoy our model A hobby! and our freedom to post here on the barn !
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
700rpm

That's a nice gesture, and I know she means well, but it is a violation of the Flag Code. The diminution of the Code began in the sixties and continues unabated today.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
That's a nice gesture, and I know she means well, but it is a violation of the Flag Code. The diminution of the Code began in the sixties and continues unabated today.
In the whole scheme of things, . . . .
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
Tinbasher

You are Honoured. A great way to brighten your day.

JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

That is a wonderful story and gesture on her part. Like you, I served but have been off active duty for 45 years. Nice to know the vets are appreciated.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
coupe1942

The flag code is not law, nor is is a moral code that one has to subscribe to. A violation of such code is not something in my opinion that is going to put any damper on what this lady did or thought kindly enough to do by her actions and talent.

Sorry, but I am pretty doubtful that all that many VETS would really worry that much over her supposed violation. Especially those whom she chose to honor by her gifts. Me, I am very honored to have it hang in my home, code violation or not. I wish more people as her were supportive enough of our VETS that they too gave something from the heart and expected nothing in return.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #8
captndan

Quote:
Take a break! And Semper Fi.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
1931 flamingo

Neat.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Take a break! And Semper Fi.
X2, She is doing something positive.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #11
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Until 'a' Congress makes it a law that burning our flag in any way other than a retirement ceremony is a desecration, it will continue to be a Freedom of Speech thing in our courts. Our flag, as Freedom of Speech, can be used both in positive and negative ways. I, myself, fly the flag, display the flag according the procedures I followed while serving. I wouldn't consider doing it any other way....but that's me.

Since the Flag "Code" is not an Amendment to our Constitution, I have a feeling the Freedom of Speech, the 1st Amendment will prevail over a Code whether we like it or not.

I for one do not have a problem when the Code is not followed when I see it being displayed in a positive patriotic way. Our government DOES honor and abide by the Flag Code except when ....lowering the flag at half staff/mast for every Tom, Dick and Harriet our CinC feels needs the recognition....again, total CRAP.

I do have my pet peeve though and that is Honor Guards in parades with one guard at right shoulder arms and the other at left shoulder arms, totally and clearly against FM 22-5 and reciting this so called "13 folds" when a flag is folded, again total CRAP and I never hesitate to tell them so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers

Last edited by 31 Model A; 06-26-2016 at 07:41 AM.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
[email protected]

That was a lot of work for the lady to do, it is very well done, since it is beaded, just turn it over so the stars are on the left, which is the correct way for the Flag to be displayed.
mad-jack@juno.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
[email protected]

Very well said, I agree with you, being a Vet from the 60's, this type of a gift would also hang proudly in my home.
mad-jack@juno.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
34pickup

As a Viet Nam era veteran I am so glad that it is now considered a good thing to honor our veterans. I, as many on here ,remember the mistreatment of so many vets coming home from the war they were conscripted to fight in. They did not deserve that treatment and I am glad that it seems like most Americans now appreciate the sacrifice that the military has to endure.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
,remember the mistreatment of so many vets coming home from the war they were conscripted to fight in. .
Those of us that volunteered for service and spent 1,2,3 and more, tours in Nam as RA (Regular Asses) were treated the same way when we came home. Vietnam was not all a Draftee War. We all shared the treatment.

Myth: Most Vietnam veterans were drafted.

2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. Approximately 70% of those killed were volunteers. Many men volunteered for the draft so even some of the draftees were actually volunteers.

BTW: Half my career I served along side draftees and they did their job well, they were called up and persevered. I trained quite a few before the Draft was eliminated, they kept their noses clean and did a job well done.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers

Last edited by 31 Model A; 06-26-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #16
Henry's Lady's Man

Her intention and labor of love are purely honorable. Look at the heart. It is getting rare these days.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Those of us that volunteered for service and spent 1,2,3 and more, tours in Nam as RA (Regular Asses) were treated the same way when we came home. Vietnam was not all a Draftee War. We all shared the treatment.

Myth: Most Vietnam veterans were drafted.

2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. Approximately 70% of those killed were volunteers. Many men volunteered for the draft so even some of the draftees were actually volunteers.

BTW: Half my career I served along side draftees and they did their job well, they were called up and persevered. I trained quite a few before the Draft was eliminated, they kept their noses clean and did a job well done.
I didn't mean to imply that there were only draftees. I myself was a volunteer.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
Missouri A

I as a VN Vet would be more than HONORED to fly that flag in my home.

Some people have to nit pick at every thing they see.

Welcome home my Brothers

Stan
Missouri A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Some people can find bad in every good deed. Our world has too many pessimists and naysayers. These same people suggest that they are perfect when in fact they many times are the problem. The woman performed a wonderful deed and should be congratulated. Her critics should be ignored. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I didn't mean to imply that there were only draftees. I myself was a volunteer.
I understand, there were a lot of myths started up by the "non-serving" after Vietnam, being a Draftee war was just one of many, seems myths abounded when anyone went "postal", it was some homeless, crazed, uneducated, high on dope VietVet.

The actually statistics of those who served in Nam would surprise many and embarrass those who gave us "the treatment". This lady, I'm sure, was not one of them when she was younger. She might even have had a casualty in her family from that war, who knows, we were the direct product of our Greatest Generation and like our fathers, we just kept our mouths shut and went back into society as if nothing happened. Expected nothing, got nothing....it was our duty as it was for our fathers.