Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
38bill

Default Re: UPS loses Package !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3739ford View Post
I collect WWII items and bought on favorite auction site a excellent condition item and it was shipped USPS with tracking. I tracked the item and was home the day it was out for delivery. That day the regular PO employee was out and temp was filling in. I heard the PO jeep come by and several minutes later got email saying my item was delivered. Went to mailbox about 10 minutes after that and no item. One of two things he delivered it to wrong address in my subdivision, or someone came by and removed from my mailbox. I posted on the Subdivision site I was missing a package with no reply from any of my neighbors. No luck with PO in finding it either they said he scanned the bar code before putting in my mailbox....it is your problem.
I had an order that was shipped USPS show tracking as delivered but it wasn't here. Called them and luckley caught the delivery person right as she came in and was able to talk to her. She said she delivered it to me, setting it right next to the blue door. My door is red but I was able to figure out where it was left so I recovered the package. As it was scanned as delivered I may have been out of luck if I didn't find it.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #22
40cpe

USPS has evidently changed their employment practices since the days of dependable service. My postal person says that they make him take a break in service every so often, evidently to qualify as part time and dodge benefit requirements. Our small rural Post Office did have a Postmaster. Now they have part time people that have to be trained for the job every time they rotate them.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #23
5851a

Hard to get good help anymore. They are going to get the world they deserve after we are gone. Feel sorry for the honest and hard workers left. A honest boss is a good teacher and am fortunate to have had some.

Last edited by 5851a; 10-10-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #24
Ziggster

Lets talk about whole shipping containers disappearing. That should be interesting.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #25
flatford8

Here in Maine when I have an issue with a package I’m told by the Postmaster that the carriers are subcontractors and USPS can’t tell them how to deliver the mail. I think this is (using subcontractors)to save USPS the cost of health insurance and retirement benefits. I believe it’s been the way it’s done for awhile. Still, to deliver a letter from one coast to the other for .50 ain’t a bad deal.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #26
1948F-1Pickup

Just to "spike the ball" here's another good UPS delivery tale.....

Customer orders $5000 worth of stuff from me. The prescribed delivery "time" passes and I get a call from the customer about where his stuff is.
I call UPS to track the shipment but this is in the days when it was an act of congress to track and took awhile. (pre-electronic clipboard)
Days later, with my customer now threatening to do me bodily harm, I pry the info out of my UPS rep that the whole order was delivered to the next door neighbor since the driver had no luck at the actual intended recipient's location.
(some kind of communal / village deal back East where many folks share what is technically 1 address)
Customer gets the package location from me, marches over to neighbor and flattens his nose. The next I hear about this is in a phone call from their police department wanting to know the details of what precipitated the assault.
(apparently the two neighbors had similar vehicles and the guy with the now flat nose was trying to keep the ill-gotten parts for his ride....)
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #27
swedishsteel

A little info from the delivery person perspective: I was a rural mail carrier for 30+ years, retired a year ago. Yes, misdeliveries happen; easier than you think when you have 150 packages in your car for delivery that day. Yes, getting good help is harder to find: I worked in a small office, two and half routes, serving about 1200 families, and my postmaster still has not been able to hire a substitute for the route I carried. My sub replaced me as full time. Nobody wants to work on a saturday, and now that Amazon pretty much runs USPS, they may be required to delivery packages on Sunday. So you have a newbie, unfamiliar with the community, mad because they have to work sunday, and a poor work ethic to start with..........explains a lot. And the animosity between the unions and management just adds to the dysfunction.

If a package addressed to you, does get delayed or misdelivered, your local postmaster is the best resource. Yes, I know, some really don't care. The scanners we have contain real time GPS, so if the package gets to your post office, the postmaster can see where it was physically scanned delivered or attempted or returned or whatever. My suggestion if you ship something that absolutely cannot be lost, pay for signature confirmation so it has to be signed for upon delivery.

I'll give you one story when I DID deliver: it was years before 911 addresses so, being in a small town, with one rural route at the time, almost everything came with just RR1, Town, Zip. Day before Mother's Day a letter came addressed to "Mom", RR1. Luckily, the sender had put her return address on the envelope, and of course I knew who she was and who her mother was, so the mother's day card arrived on time. The next morning in church I told the young lady that next year she needed more than just "mom" on the card. Her face turned three shades of red.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #28
Frank Miller

How hard would it be to send packages with tracking devices? They may or may not transmit from a warehouse but it's an idea.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #29
RalphM

I Just had a UPS misdelivery happen at work. Five packages sent, only four arrived, after two days of phone calls, and the UPS guy answering my “where is it” questions by shrugging his shoulders and saying “I dunno”, I got a phone call from another business a half mile way. They had our box, and were missing a box. I went over and picked it up. When asked if I had seen their box, I just shrugged my shoulders and said “ I dunno”.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #30
tubman

Boy, what a way to show your gratitude. I bet if this happens again you won't get a call. This is the kind of attitude that causes the original problem.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #31
RalphM

It was a Joke.
I told him I would keep an eye out for his package.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #32
tubman

It's a relief to hear that. The response did seem out of character.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #33
HOTRODPRIMER

I sent a restored 1954 Ford radio to Dallas, Texas via UPS and it never arrived, I refunded the gentleman his money and filed a claim with UPS, I also purchased their insurance to cover the cost of the radio & repairs.

It cost me 334 dollars and they refused to pay the claim stating the delivery man left it at the house but didn't get a signature. HRP
Old 10-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #34
philipswanson

Some time back, I ordered an 455 Olds crank from E Bay. It came by Fed Ex. Only problem was it came in two pieces. Somewhere along the line, it was dropped. That's one of the heaviest cranks out there because of its huge stroke.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #35
alanwoodieman

I had the rail road car wrapped in bubble wrap and put into a double wall corrugated boxcar inside of another boxcar, inside of another boxcar, had big foot tall numbers and an electronic ID tag bolted to the side and they still lost it !! on top of that the RR --Norfolk southern sent me a demurrage bill for the car, because I had not called in that it was empty
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #36
Newc

Final answer to my loss; first claim was denied-could not contact receiver; After phone calls and lots of complaining claim was reopened and approved. Monies should show up. We'll be looking for the manifold on Craig's list and at our local Swap Nov 16th. Oddly the contents were only labled "auto part", and it never made it from the UPS store to the warehouse. thanks all Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #37
Fordors

As I suspected. Hard to say what the store owners hiring practices and vetting might be. Hopefully you will get your settlement soon.