Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
oldbike99

Default With all of the ignition timing questions, why not use a timing light?

Other than the trouble of finding an old timing light that will work on our cars, is there a reason that more people don't time the ignition that way.
Once the pulley is accurately marked and a timing scale is installed, ignition timing is so simple.
No more question about "what is what" with lever position. Also, one can have a repeatable baseline to work from when experimenting to find what works best with your engine and fuel
Am I missing something?
oldbike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Ford1931

Default Re: With all of the ignition timing questions, why not use a timing light?

I agree totally. You can use any timing light, with a newer timing light that uses 12 volts, you can use a separate jumper pack or another 12 volt battery to hook the power leads to.
Ford1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
oldbike99

Default Re: With all of the ignition timing questions, why not use a timing light?

I bought an old neon tube timing light from a yard sale that is powered from the ignition itself. Very simple but not very bright.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
newshirt

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. With Marco's instructions, you should be able to time any Model A in ten minutes. It's so simple you can do it on the side of the road where you may not have access to a timing light.

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/timing.htm
Old 04-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
oldbike99

No fuss at all. And I agree that all Model A drivers should be able to time the ignition using the pin. I just like a repeatable accuracy of a light and am surprised it does not come up more often.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
CarlG

To make things super simple, I have one of these on my rig. They are on eBay most of the time. Even if you don't use a timing light, once TDC is located and marked, you don't have to use the timing pin. My timing light is one I bought from Sears back in the '60's (when they still made good stuff) and it works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timing Indicator1.jpg (137.1 KB, 168 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Friend, Tommy, set his old VW timing in the DARK, using a LOOOONG wire on # 1 & arcing it right down at the timing indicator!
Bill W.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
To make things super simple, I have one of these on my rig. They are on eBay most of the time. Even if you don't use a timing light, once TDC is located and marked, you don't have to use the timing pin. My timing light is one I bought from Sears back in the '60's (when they still made good stuff) and it works great.
Carl, with your timing marks how many degrees do you set your initial timing to? And have you experimented with different settings?

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
d.j. moordigian

It's not as simple as pulling off the head, brings the piston too the top and saying,..
..."that's TDC"...!

You will need these tools to set true TDC..
1. A degree wheel...and a piece of welding wire, pointed..
2. A 1" travel dial indicator or a positive stop plate(for the piston)..
3. The timing tag that Carl posted looks very nice, but, when you bolt it on
then remove it, does it repeat each time ?
4. The knowledge/ written text on how to do this correctly...

Ha,..it's a Model A,....have fun setting it the "old way"..
Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Fullraceflathead

Using a Timing Light once you properly mark the pulley for TDC is great simple way to time the Model A.
Henry's way was before Timing lights existed and could be done without extra tools.
Using a Timing Light will let you set if the Timing is moving around because of slop in the Distributor drive while running.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
3. The timing tag that Carl posted looks very nice, but, when you bolt it on
then remove it, does it repeat each time ? ...
It's meant to be bolted on and left there. Takes the place of #1 on your list.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
oldbike99

I did use a piston stop and a degree wheel on initial setup. The timing scale is left on the engine. I set my timing at 5 degrees retarded with the lever full up. All the way advanced is 35 degrees BTDC
Old 04-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
MikeK

Since the A dizzy cannot be twisted while running to set the timing there is little benefit to a timing light for anything other than checking where you presently are. You cannot actually use it to set the timing.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Since the A dizzy cannot be twisted while running to set the timing there is little benefit to a timing light for anything other than checking where you presently are. You cannot actually use it to set the timing.
That's exactly what I was thinking, but thought I must be missing something.
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
Marco Tahtaras

By all means, if you enjoy the extra time required to use a timing light then go for it!

Timing lights are ideal for engines that are timed by rotating the distributor. In this case you time it with the engine running. With a model A distributor the process will be EXACTLY the same regardless. Using the timing light AFTER you have set the timing will only determine if you were competent enough to get it right in the first place. It's simply a redundant check to see if you messed up. For those that are unsure of themselves and/or need practice to develop a repeatable routine, a timing light is a great solution. Once you find it's always correct when you finally put the timing light on it you can then retire the light to the shelf.

The idea is similar to using a dwell meter on an engine that requires removal of the distributor cap to adjust the points. When I was in my teens I used my dwell meter (I still have) about three different times only to find it was perfect each time and required no change. It then dawned on me that it was simply confirming that I set the point gap accurately which of course only requires proper use of a feeler gauge.

I have used my timing light along with my tachometer on Model A's with distributors such as a Mallory. This is usually to determine the actual initial timing (for reference) as well a the advance curve as I have no means to do the latter 'on the bench'.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
It's meant to be bolted on and left there. Takes the place of #1 on your list.
I realize that,..but if you have too remove it,..dose it repeat or could it
be off a few degrees either way ? I'm betting yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Yep,...that's the funny part...!
I would think a degree wheel, mounted were the rotor would sit,..then
adjusting it a bunch of times would get you right on,...if you place the
crank / piston in the same spot each time ! Always turning the crank
clock wise....and never backing up..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion From Vast Experience:

If one ever studies several former Model A timing questions, (going back to about 1996, over the past 18 years), one can learn that many new Model A owners have had extremely difficulty in just finding the four o'clock location & position for spark plug No.1 lug in a round distributor body.

It is not their fault, but, I have actually witnessed many poor souls looking at drawings of front elevations of their buildings and asking why it does not show where his toilet is located.

After working with so many highly intelligent people who cannot read plans & diagrams, and cannot understand written specifications, my suggestion would be to suggest timing one's Model A with whatever method one feels is the most comfortable.
Just a Model A compassionate suggestion.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #18
CarlG

Quote:
... does it repeat each time ?...
Quote:
It's meant to be bolted on and left there...
Quote:
I realize that,..but if you have too remove it,..does it repeat or could it be off a few degrees either way ? I'm betting yes...
My experience is NO. Just did this last night and it was spot on.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 04-16-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #19
Goldhardt

I agree with OldBike99, that once your timing is set correctly and verified with a timing light, you have established a baseline. After that, I would only use a timing light if I started experiencing some type of trouble such as running rough, loss of power, overheating, etc. It would be a quick and easy way to eliminate one possible problem immediately.
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

[QUOTE=oldbike99;1070013]I bought an old neon tube timing light from a yard sale that is powered from the ignition itself. Very simple but not very bright.[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering why you were bringing my old boss into this. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote