Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #141
Old Henry

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
. . . Thought you'd stay the night. . .
That was the plan, to arrive in Skagway Monday night and stay. But, we got a half a day behind so had to rush. Sorry. "Hey, you guys back there, go easy on the old guy. Give him some room."
Old 05-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #142
Ol' Ron

The pics are beautiful. I went down on street view, and felt like I was there. I can't thank you enough for taking us along
OL' Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #143
47Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
It's all original stock stuff. Standard three on the tree and 3.87 rear end.
Seems like the stock set-up works just fine. Still enjoying your pics ! I plan on taking that Western route back on our next trip to Alaska. Looks like you have the magic hammer.
47Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #144
Sal

As always your trips are inspirational, the photography is awesome, thank you!!!
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #145
Seth Swoboda

As always I'm really enjoying this blog. Thanks for your dedication to achieve what most people won't in an early Ford V8. See the USA in a Chevrolet? HA! They got nothing on Old Henry! "Never get bored in your '48 Ford".
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #146
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Two questions: what does "'SHE" refer to and what's the deal with the map and the 86h? Is the map not up-dated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
See post #56, S.H.E. = Stupid Human Error.
The map is a static photo from before the trip started.
The original map was the shortest and fastest route to Skagway which bypassed Glacier National Park, Banff and Jasper National Parks. When I got ahead a little on the first day I decided to add those which is the difference between that first map and the rest.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #147
mhsprecher

Keep on V8in' O.H. Love it.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #148
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Blimey ! That is truly amazing and there's folk bleating on about not getting their I Pad whatsitts working in the car !
Funny you should say that. The only chronic mechanical problem I've had on this whole trip so far is with the newest, latest, most modern thing I bought for it - the laptop based GPS system. It has voice commands. I'm constantly "communicating" with it (in loud angry tones) to get it to do the right thing and just keep doing something! It had quit the two times I missed my turns.

The good old stock original machine made by Mr. Ford, on the other hand, has pushed along like a trooper without a hitch.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #149
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Craig,

Good music would be the 'frosting on the cake' that this trip of yours is. Did you bring any along with you? If so, can you give us a listen?....
Our theme song is Willy Nelson's "On the Road Again". Listen to a Pandora radio station by that name while reading. The videos that I produce and share when I get home will have music. Don't know how to make it play through a post.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #150
flatford8

Most of your trips seem to have a strict schedule and you only seem to alter your route when forced to......do you ever just take off and go wherever?..... Kind of like... Oh, this looks like a nice road.... lets take it. This has been a great trip.... Hope it all goes well on the way home..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #151
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

When I travel in my old cars I always have a extra generator, fuel pump, carb, coil, oil, fuses, fan belt and water pumps. The tools, small battery charger, antifreeze,water, sleeping bag. And always I always forget something as usual. I almost forget my wife? Don't need a radio with her.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #152
A bones

Your daughter in law's father's feat made the evening news on TV.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #153
Old Henry

Day 10

Short report. Just drove today. 446 miles to Omak, Washington, U.S.A. Total of 3,971 with 847 to go.

The higher fatigue level is starting to hit - the "endurance, survival, grit your teeth and keep pushing on to the finish line" phase of the trip. The scenery we drove through was very nice - nothing better than we've seen. Many times I had the thought, "That's pretty. I really should stop and take a picture." But then, as Rhett Butler said to Scarlet O'Hara, I said to myself, "Frankly, my dear, I don't . . . a . . . have the energy" or something to that effect. So, hope all of you back there in the back got a nice long nap. You really didn't miss anything.

I've got to share my experience crossing the border back into the good old U.S. of A. Even though I'd only been gone for just over a week, less the hour or two in Alaska, I had building anticipation to get back as I got nearer and nearer to the crossing. I was, frankly, a bit surprised when I finally crossed, stopped and changed my GPS system back into miles, and had my speedometer read right again, the strong feelings of just being home again. Although Canada is just as civilized as we are and nothing bad at all about it, other than making my speedometer read wrong, it was still good to be home again and feel at home again. I love this country, even with all of its faults. It is my home and I'm glad to be back.

I did actually get real tools (not my "magic hammer") out of the tool box and worked on the car today. It as a 1/2" end wrench to loosen the lock-nut on the vacuum brake adjustment on the distributor, and a long screw driver to screw the adjustment screw down to get rid of the annoying ping on climbs. Worked great, mostly. In the morning I'll retard the timing some to get rid of the pinging that still lingers.

I've got 472 miles to get to my daughter's in Meridian, Idaho tomorrow night to stay overnight and go to church with them in the morning then 386 miles to finish getting home that night.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:01 AM   #154
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
When I travel in my old cars I always have a extra generator, fuel pump, carb, coil, oil, fuses, fan belt and water pumps. The tools, small battery charger, antifreeze,water, sleeping bag. And always I always forget something as usual. I almost forget my wife? Don't need a radio with her.
The only thing I needed to bring on this nearly 5,000 mile trip was my "magic hammer", my 1/2" end wrench, my long screw driver, and 2-3 gallons of motor oil I've gone through.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #155
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Most of your trips seem to have a strict schedule and you only seem to alter your route when forced to......do you ever just take off and go wherever?..... Kind of like... Oh, this looks like a nice road.... lets take it.
Most of my road trips have been that more laid back sort where my wife and I will get in the car with our bags, head down the street, and, when we get to a point of decision, decide which way to go then keep doing the same thing at each point of decision until we go until we're ready to stop and get the nearest dive motel for the night. But, this one to Alaska could not be that way, primarily because of it's length. Here's why:

I am not retired. And, I don't say "yet" because I don't see myself ever stopping working as long as I have the physical and mental ability to work. I love my work and make plenty of money in very little time so intend to keep going. Fortunately, I am a self employed solo practicing attorney.

The nature of my practice gives me great flexibility in my schedule to work when I want and play when I want. It's very much like being retired as far as that freedom goes. However, there is one thing I don't control. That's when my clients' hearings are scheduled several months in advance. The scheduling of those hearings are firm and not changeable except for dire emergencies like death in the family.

When AnnaRae told me that she needed to got to Houston to babysit kids for 11 days from May 12th to the 23rd, I already had a hearing scheduled on the 12th and one on the 24th. When I thought of driving Old Henry to Alaska, I knew it would be tight to do it in 11 days. And, it would have to be done without a hitch to fit in between those two hearings. If anything went wrong and there was any delay, I'd miss the hearing on the 24th, much to the damage to my client. I still intended to try.

Fortunately, my need to appear at the hearing on the 12th dropped out about a week before it. So, I could leave two days earlier to have two days of emergency buffer, just in case. It turns out I needed them because the trip is ending up taking 12 days instead of the 11 days planned.

Another thing that cuts into the "laid back" nature of all of my road trips, which I'm quite used to after so many years of it, is that I am always at work, not matter where I am, as long as I have cell phone service. I get calls from new and old clients and others all through the day that I have to take because there is no one else to do it while I'm gone. That was why those two days of no cell phone service on the Cassiar Highway was so nice, even though I thought often about all of those who were going to have to wait a day or two for me to call them back when I had service again. Also, at some time during each day, sometimes at the end and sometimes at the beginning of the day, I have to go through all of the day's mail with my secretary over Skype to deal with it. So, I am, inevitably, multitasking all the time. I don't mind. The driving relaxes me no matter what I'm doing.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-21-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #156
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony starr View Post
I might of missed this somewhere but do you mind me asking what transmission / rearend setup you have to be averaging speeds of 60-65 mph?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
It's all original stock stuff. Standard three on the tree and 3.78 rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Sooner View Post
Seems like the stock set-up works just fine.
The thing that I have learned from my experience is that the most important thing to feel comfortable driving constantly at high speeds with a flathead and stock rear end is to have the engine perfectly balanced. I've driven my car with the engine in three different states and it really makes a difference. When I first restarted the engine 9 years ago after it sat for 31 years, I drove it for 10,000 miles before having it rebuilt. I was afraid to go over 50 mph because the engine seemed like it might blow up. When I had it rebuilt, we found all of the original bearings were all split in two and other severe wear that caused that feeling. But, as far as I know, that rebuild did not balance anything, just rebuilt it. It certainly ran better than before and I felt fairly confident to cruise up to 60 or 65 mph. But, this last time I had it rebuilt, every moving part in the engine was zero balanced. Wow! That really made a difference. I can cruise at 65 to 70 or even 75 if I want to without any effort and the engine just purrs like it's not even trying.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-21-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:48 AM   #157
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hey Prof. Henry, I've got a question: What does a 'bucket of honey' look like?
Here are the two one gallon buckets of honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
I was re-reading, and wanted to give extra props for this photo. I realize you must have climbed up a rocky area, like in the back right, to get the elevation on this shot. Well framed with the valley floor in the back and the road leading your eye there! Leaving the fog lights on makes the car look even sexier!

I found that I can get this kind of shot from a high angle without climbing anything, and even when there is nothing to climb, by extending my monopod fully, set the camera timer for 10 seconds, push the button, and hoist the camera up in the air as high as I can reach and hold it still while watching the level until the shutter trips to take the picture.

Here are some others taken that way on this trip.

On other trips:

I think you "get the picture".

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-21-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #158
Terry,OH

Thank You for sharing your trip and best of luck! Beautiful!
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #159
RalphM

Just curious , with that many miles, did you plan any oil changes or lube intervals?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #160
wisbangman

Old Henry - You are so KOOL ! .....Thanks
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote