Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
Bob44

Default help needed

I'm restoring a 40 Ford P/u for a customer that was built in late 50's. I'm finished back to the rear end. It has a Halibrand Q/C center section with 10 bolt axle bells bolted to it. It has open drive shaft with U-joints. The axles are flanged at the outer ends. The wheel cylinders bolt to backing plate with 2 bolts. The shoes are 11x2 with star adapters at bottom. I believe fords up to 53 used 3 bolt mounted whel cylinders. I have never disassembled a Q/C rear and need to remove the axles to replace the axle seals. How are the axles removed and what years are these types of brakes common to? I have been assured this is not 32-53 ford brakes. Any help will be appreciated. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 ford backing plate.jpg (28.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 40 ford axle flange.jpg (27.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 40 ford brake.jpg (30.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 40 ford center section.jpg (26.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 40 ford brake shoes.jpg (34.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 40 ford wheel cylinders.jpg (28.6 KB, 67 views)
Bob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: help needed

Just to give a direction to go in, '49 -'51 Mercury as well as F! pickups used the 11" Bendix brakes. The cylinder on the Merc. is two (2) bolt.
Don't know for sure but the F1's are probably the same because most of the brake hardware is interchangeable with the Mercury.
The differences come in the shape of the backer plates.
The axles should just pull out after removing backer bolts to release retainer plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (254.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (270.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 06-16-2019 at 05:54 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That looks like a converted axle to me. That was where the rearend was modified to to take later model axles. They would be removed just like any other late model axle would.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

The experts on this sorta thing might be here https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Bob44

51-Merc, Are the backing plates you show 51 Merc? Mine have only 4 Bolts. Are you saying that you believe the inter ends of the axles are splined and should just pull out of the center section? I'll try that tomorrow. Would really simplify the replacing of seals. Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Bob
Old 06-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
Bob C

See Hot Rod Works conversion at this link. https://www.hotrodworks.com/product-...e-conversions/

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob44 View Post
51-Merc, Are the backing plates you show 51 Merc? Mine have only 4 Bolts. Are you saying that you believe the inter ends of the axles are splined and should just pull out of the center section? I'll try that tomorrow. Would really simplify the replacing of seals. Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Bob
The ones I show are '49-'51 Merc. and only have 4 bolts.
Yes, the Merc's just pull out.
If the wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 5-1/2" .the axles could very well be Mercury or F1.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 06-16-2019 at 08:38 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
Bob44

51 merc, Everything is as you stated. 5 1/2 bolt pattern. 5 holes in backing plate only using 4 bolts. Axles pulled out with light tapping. Question....I found no seals or gaskets in the disassembly. Only the sealed bearing which apparently is suppose to leak due to having the funnel relief at the bottom of the retaining plate. Am I reading this right. I assume the bearing is pressed on the axle and not pressed into the bell tube. My backing plates are missing all the emergency brake parts. I can't locate anybody that has them. Any help here?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob44 View Post
51 merc, Everything is as you stated. 5 1/2 bolt pattern. 5 holes in backing plate only using 4 bolts. Axles pulled out with light tapping. Question....I found no seals or gaskets in the disassembly. Only the sealed bearing which apparently is suppose to leak due to having the funnel relief at the bottom of the retaining plate. Am I reading this right. I assume the bearing is pressed on the axle and not pressed into the bell tube. My backing plates are missing all the emergency brake parts. I can't locate anybody that has them. Any help here?
The bearing is pressed on to the axle and the parts dwg. shows a seal (#1777) which will probably have to be measure/fit.
So far as the emergency brake components are concerned I have not seen anything available new so it will require a search for used parts.
Suspect that the components will be more readily available from 1950's F1/F100 sources. (interchangeable with Mercury)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ax assy.jpg (135.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg rear assy.jpg (162.6 KB, 21 views)