Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
denis4x4

Default Marc & mafca & sema

Just got my SEMA directory and there's no listings for MARC or MAFCA. The Model A Foundation joined last year. What gives?
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Marc & mafca & sema

This was mentioned a while back let me see if I can find it.

I found this from 2010;

MAFCA does belong to SEMA. Dave Jones is representing the club. He can be contacted on our web site.

Maybe the clubs as clubs are not members but represented by individuals that belong to MARCA and MARC?

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 04-22-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Denis, I think it probably boils down to the value it produces for the $ spent. I know that a couple years ago I checked, and because of my category and annual revenue, the annual cost of my membership was like $1,200.00. I did not join simply because I did not feel I personally would receive enough return on my investment to justify. That is not to say that SEMA is not a great organization, ...it just did not make financial sense for my business to be a member. Maybe the same mindset applies to the perceived value for both clubs.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
denis4x4

Brent...there are a number of membership categories, the least expensive is clubs and organizations. My membership under the heading of Promoters runs $100 per year. SEMA has fought the good fight at the state level on registration laws that benefit classic car owners as well as taking on the EPA over E-15
Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
John LaVoy

I pushed for MAFCA and MARC to join SEMA and they felt there wasn't enough "value" to being a member. Like was noted MAFFI does belong and had a couple of people at the last show making contact with various suppliers.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
denis4x4

The cost of a supporting SEMA membership under category 4 CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS is a whopping $150 per year! I will be happy to pay the tab for MARC and MAFCA if some one with authority contacts me via email.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
spdway1

Dennis, What is the advantage?

My business WAS a member and it was throwing money out the window. Being in the automotive business, I can still go to Vegas every year.
Don Jr.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post

My business WAS a member and it was throwing money out the window. Being in the automotive business, I can still go to Vegas every year.
Don Jr.
Not much for the individual member. But when your money is added to the other members it gives SEMA money to fight OUR fight as a group.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Steve Sturim

My shop has been a member of SEMA for years, my annual fee is $100.00 and I get all the SEMA benefits. My Dad, Rick Sturim, a past President of MARC offered to pay the SEMA membership for MARC a few years ago out of his pocket, was turned down by the then "close minded" MARC board.
Steve Sturim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
MikeK

Rather than whipping the proverbial dead horse, if MARC and MAFCA are too close-minded or financially tight to see benefit, just eliminate the middleman! Regions and Chapters can join individually. The collective total would far exceed just having the two nationals hold membership. I know a few Mafca chapters with so much excess they look for causes to give money away to.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
John LaVoy

My thoughts on the reason for the national organizations to belong to SEMA were more towards connecting our portion of the car hobby with the manufactures and suppliers of automotive parts and services. I have been attending for years for the magazine and talk with various vendors there. Most of them are unaware of the size and potential of the Model A restoration market. By having the national organizations belongs and ATTENDING! we could get things made more for the restoration market than the hot rod market.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
denis4x4

Quote:

Don Jr.
My association with SEMA goes back to the mid sixties and I've seen a multitude of actions that directly benefit the individual car owner through state laws that SEMA has championed regarding registrations and smog checks. Ever heard of the SFI? This is a SEMA function that was created to set safety standards for racing. There were about 100 business when I joined SEMA and now there are close to 7,000 members. Obviously, these companies don't consider SEMA membership as, "throwing money out the window".
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Denis, I just went back and rechecked and I was wrong. If I submitted as having only one employee and fudged on the annual sales, the yearly membership fee would be $200.00 to be a member of SEMA's Automotive Restoration Market group.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
spdway1

Brent, JOIN and let us know how you make out in added benefits after a year!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
My association with SEMA goes back to the mid sixties and I've seen a multitude of actions that directly benefit the individual car owner through state laws that SEMA has championed regarding registrations and smog checks. Ever heard of the SFI? This is a SEMA function that was created to set safety standards for racing. There were about 100 business when I joined SEMA and now there are close to 7,000 members. Obviously, these companies don't consider SEMA membership as, "throwing money out the window".
How has it directly benefitted you every year that you have been a member? Send me a private msg if you wish, I am interested in learning what I missed out being a member for 5 years.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
How has it directly benefitted you every year that you have been a member? Send me a private msg if you wish, I am interested in learning what I missed out being a member for 5 years.
I don't think it would help a specific member much if any but the hobby as a whole would benefit. Tenn might see nothing in a given year but NY might gain by having stupid limiting proposals from becoming law in that state using the combined monies from all members.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
denis4x4

Quote:
PM sent.