Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default There comes a time to say goodby...

Well guys, there comes a time to say goodby. No...not to the Model A Ford hobby but to the Model AA Ford hobby.

I started collecting AA parts back in 1995 and was really wanting to restore a AA Truck.

I joined the Ford Model AA Truck Club which was a great idea at the time. Neil Wilson, head of the club, puts out a fantastic yearly news magizine describing, in detail, varrious aspects of the Model AA Ford...one of the better Model A/AA Ford publications out there and would recomend it to any A/AA restorer because there is "A" stuff in there also pertaining to the Closed Cab Body.

I found the AA up in the Blue Mountains just east of Walla Walla, WA. Drug it out and took it back home. From there, I collected other AA parts up to about 2010 or so and about that time I decided to start restoring it.

I had the frame professionally restored and set it up on jack-stands. I restored varrious other chassis parts as the springs, engine mounts, the Dual High and bought new tires.

Never thought I would loose interest but unfortunatly I have.

Now the whole project and parts for everything are up for sale. Have put the add on MAFCA, AA, Ahooga and Fordbarn web sites. All for one specific price. I even had one fellow call me up wanting to buy just the fenders off of it...of coarce you know what I told him.

I will still be a member of the AA club...AA or no AA as I will always support Neil's efforts toward the hobby.

I will still keep my "329s" designation as it is a pain in the butt to change it to "229s". Who knows...I just might find another "A" along the way but first it is fine tuning my February 1929 Tudor, assembling a October 1928 chassis and then my next love...a Lionel Train layout.

So no...I really have not said "goodby"...just "goodby" to the AA's.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: There comes a time to say goodby...

Keep those fenders Steve as you probably know they will fit the 28/29 stock A's.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Great Lakes Greg

As Dirty Harry said, " A man's got to know his limitations."
I just bailed out on a side hobby, because I simply don't have time to do everything.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian

Steve,

I know you've made noises about sell your 29 AA...but the chassis is so close
too being finished! Think about this....you COULD make it into a loooong wheel
base speedster!?

IF the chassis was a roller...would that be an incentive too finish the truck( I'm
serious now) ?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Elcastor

I understand that a person can't do it all!!! See you next summer! :-)
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
modeleh

Just sold my AA also. It was a fun truck but keeping 5 old cars and an Airstream trailer polished up and roadworthy was starting to take its toll. You end up throwing some money at each one, each year, and even then its hard to maintain their condition. Its a constant battle with father time and mother nature trying to keep the shiny parts shiny, the rust from creeping back, and the rubber from going bad.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Deluxe Delivery Don

Unhappy Re: There comes a time to say goodby...

What has been totally restored so far on the Chassis? Any details on if everything that has been collected for it? It is a little Sad that you do have the interest in it any more. I hope that you reconsider your choice of selling it. BECAUSE you Love 1929 Model A's
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Joe K

I saw the same light.

Actually bought a 1930 rolling chassis with motor and everything just ready to put an aftermarket body (think a rolling phone booth) and flat bed on and use it to haul fire wood. Or go to the dump. Or go to the lumberyard.

Gosh. The chassis had 26K original miles and the former owner used the truck to haul a welder. It had sat in a warehouse undriven since the 1950s.

But alas. It came to my house, was driveable. And I started to do things with it. Get it moving. Purchase a flat bed made from pressure treated lumber.

And then I found myself in the midst of a job change: same company former office closed and me suddenly out on the road. Now field job after field job with no time at home and with the truck just sitting there taking up space.

And the garage floor sweats in the summer, and the snow blows in the barn in the winter - and the rust was starting to make inroads into that original chassis paint that formerly was intact.

And then I tried to work on it and restore forward motion - no time to do even that.

Discretion is the better part of valor. I found a buyer via this forum who drove from Texas to pick it up. I hope he has done well with it. I regret letting it go - but hey - I'm still employed which is the MOST important thing in today's recessive economic world.

I'll just have to limit my Ford interest to a pickup truck. Or maybe a huckster for the more mundane work of firewood, lumber, dump?

He who dies with the most toys wins? Well, one less toy to my credit.

Doesn't that put off the end for a tiny little fraction?

Hey, I deserve a consolation prize don't I?

Joe K
Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery Don View Post
What has been totally restored so far on the Chassis? Any details on if everything that has been collected for it? It is a little Sad that you do have the interest in it any more. I hope that you reconsider your choice of selling it. BECAUSE you Love 1929 Model A's
DDD,

The frame has been restored and painted. All the springs are restored, Dual High, Rear engine mounts and a few other things.

Have good original bearings, and worm gear for the rear and front end.

Most other parts in unrestored condition.

Thanks Don.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote