Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
Habusailor

Default 57 Fairlane 500, automatic transmission

My transmission was overhauled a year ago, now it leaks like sieve. I am thinking I need to swap out to a more modern style. I know I will need the adapter plate, what is my best option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 57 Fairlane 500, automatic transmission

If you want an O/D, a Ford AOD 80-92 Otherwise, a C4 (non O/D)
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:24 PM   #3
fordor41

don't know if you're talking about a fordomatic but my '60 fordomatic leaked BAD out thru the torque converter seal. after multiple trips to the trans builder I convinced them the front oil pump bushing was shot.after dicking with it for almost 5 mo's, got parts back and finally no leaks.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:10 PM   #4
bbrocksr

[QUOTE=Habusailor;2155503]My transmission was overhauled a year ago, now it leaks like sieve. I am thinking I need to swap out to a more modern style. I know I will need the adapter plate, what is my best option?

Find a good rebuilder and get it done right,
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
rotorwrench

There are adapter kits for the Ford AODs but that is one big transmission. It might need some metal work to get it to fit. A C4 might be an option but its just a 3-speed too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
5851a

[QUOTE=bbrocksr;2155576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habusailor View Post
My transmission was overhauled a year ago, now it leaks like sieve. I am thinking I need to swap out to a more modern style. I know I will need the adapter plate, what is my best option?

Find a good rebuilder and get it done right,
Bill
A new transmission is probably not going to be new; it's going to be rebuilt. Last non electronics were built in the early 90's. Old or new still has about the same amount of leak points. Find a good rebuilder.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: 57 Fairlane 500, automatic transmission

If you are satisfied with the FOM performance (2nd gear start, etc.), then a QUALITY RE-SEAL or OVERHAUL. Without the expense of a swap kit to a later style, maybe consider a CRUISE-0-MATIC or FMX upgrade. It will be DUAL RANGE or if really late SELECT-SHIFT.

One has to find a shop that has the knowledge and ability to overhaul one of these as setup after install is paramount. It is a lost art (same as my sex life ... ) ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:34 PM   #8
fordor41

if you have a 2 speed fordomatic and you CAN find an adapter for a 3 speed cruise-o-matic, C-4 or AOD, the PRNDL will be wrong, probably the kick down, drive shaft slip joint and fitting a different torque converter/flyshaft to your engine. adapters I've found were in the $1500 range, that's why I kept pursuing getting mine repaired.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:54 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: 57 Fairlane 500, automatic transmission

The FORD-O-MATIC is a three speed trans. It is SINGLE RANGE in that it has a 2nd gear start unless the driver wants 1st. FORD designed it this way to compete with the GM POWER-GLIDE.

In 1958, FORD introduced the CRUISE-O-MATIC DUAL RANGE which had a 1st gear start.

The FORD-O-MATIC was used up to the 1961 model run. The F/M/2 was the true 2 spd. It was used from 1959 to 1963 (approx). It was replaced by the C4.

1958/ used a one piece torque convertor and the main problem is finding the FYB COM flywheel.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 08-10-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
There are adapter kits for the Ford AODs, but that is one big transmission. It might need some metal work to get it to fit. A C4 might be an option but its just a 3-speed too.
Plenty of room for the AOD in your '57, I have a 302 & AOD in my '54, the best years of the AOD are from 1989-93 those all had the later lubrication upgrades and valve body improvement and are non-computer. They have everything you'll need here https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...k-motor-fo301/ Bummer is that a year ago this was $995 from just about every vendor that sells them, thanks Brandon.

Last edited by JeffB2; 08-10-2022 at 01:37 PM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
scicala

Your leakiing sieve could be possibly fixed with a minor in car repair.
Clean it off and find the source of the leak.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 57 Fairlane 500, automatic transmission

1200.00 for the conversion kit AND 2000.00 for a street AOD -

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...and-converter/

Even if you find a good take-out donor it will have to be gone through and as noted needs to be a later model with the design improvements.

Getting to be an expensive hobby. HO TRAINS anyone ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 08-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Don't go there.
It was a once-upon-a-time project of mine and I'll get in trouble with Ryan (Admin) for going way off topic.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program...
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:45 AM   #14
rotorwrench

Torque converters liked to leak on some early ford transmissions. The front pump can have leakage too. It pays to look these parts over very carefully when performing an overhaul. Licking the calf over is no fun but it should be fixable.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:03 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Don't go there.

It was a once-upon-a-time project of mine and I'll get in trouble with Ryan (Admin) for going way off topic.
MY FORD-BARN PERSONNEL JACKET contains one ARTICLE 15 and two separate written stern warnings ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BANNED - FORDBARN FORUM _3.JPG (65.2 KB, 67 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 08-11-2022, 10:38 PM   #16
fordor41

Quote:
The FORD-O-MATIC is a three speed trans. It is SINGLE RANGE in that it has a 2nd gear start unless the driver wants 1st. FORD designed it this way to compete with the GM POWER-GLIDE.

In 1958, FORD introduced the CRUISE-O-MATIC DUAL RANGE which had a 1st gear start.

The FORD-O-MATIC was used up to the 1961 model run. The F/M/2 was the true 2 spd. It was used from 1959 to 1963 (approx). It was replaced by the C4.

1958/ used a one piece torque convertor and the main problem is finding the FYB COM flywheel.
"The FORD-O-MATIC is a three speed trans". Really! I have a 2 speed Ford-o-matic in my car. Quote from the Ford Motor Co. manual. "The Ford-o-matic is a 2 speed automatic transmission with two bands, one clutch & two forward gears and reverse. In drive, it starts out in 1st. gear(low) and shifts into 2nd gear (hi) at approximately 18 MPH. If shifted into low manually, it will stay in low until it is manually shifted into hi(drive." It has only 2 forward gears.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:33 PM   #17
Daves55Sedan

My '55 Ford Courier wagon has Fordomatic transmission. Some times I leave it sitting for extended periods of time (months, even years). During those times when it sits idle, the seals dry up and shrink enough to allow leakage out the converter o-ring. I keep a large piece of cardboard from a shipping carton under the car to catch the spillage.
Several times I have brought the Courier out of mothballs to run it for 6 months or so. Once the ATF wets that seal, it swells up again and seals the leak miraculously.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:04 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Question Re: 57 Fairlane 500, automatic transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post

"The FORD-O-MATIC is a three speed trans". Really! I have a 2 speed Ford-o-matic in my car. Quote from the Ford Motor Co. manual. "The Ford-o-matic is a 2 speed automatic transmission with two bands, one clutch & two forward gears and reverse. In drive, it starts out in 1st. gear(low) and shifts into 2nd gear (hi) at approximately 18 MPH. If shifted into low manually, it will stay in low until it is manually shifted into hi(drive." It has only 2 forward gears.
Now why did I not expect this ...

You have a F/M/2 in a 1960 model year. It is indeed a 2S.That TRANS was introduced in the 1959 MODEL YEAR.

The 1957 FORD-O-MATIC was a 3S SINGLE RANGE automatic.

Where is that IGNORE BUTTON ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 08-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #19
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
Quote:
Now why did I not expect this ...
You have a F/M/2 in a 1960 model year. It is indeed a 2S.That TRANS was introduced in the 1959 MODEL YEAR.
The 1957 FORD-O-MATIC was a 3S SINGLE RANGE automatic...
Yes, two different versions of transmission that may or may not be (incorrectly?) called by the same name. The '57 transmission that is the original subject of this thread would be a 3 speed, with 2nd gear as the usual start-up gear.
Quote:
Ford's first automatic transmission, which appeared in its 1951 models, was referred to as the Ford-O-Matic. This basic unit was designed by Borg-Warner and would become the platform from which many later model automatic transmissions would evolve.
Developed as a three-speed automatic, the Ford-O-Matic used a cast-iron case and would normally be started in second gear. For this reason, you often see the Ford-O-Matic referred to as a two-speed, although the only actual two-speed units were produced from 1959-'64, and they had aluminum cases.
A sprag was added to the planetary assembly in 1958 so that you could select whether to start out in first gear or second, and the Ford-O-Matic name was changed to Cruise-O-Matic.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...c-transmission
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #20
KULTULZ

Here is info that may help -

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto...-a-powerglide/

The 1959 MODEL RUN had three (3) AT;

1) The origional FORD-O-MATIC (3S - 2nd Gear Start)

2) The CRUISE-O-MATIC (3S - 1st Gear Start)(1958 MODEL RUN INTRO)

3) The F/M/2 which was a true 2S.They were available (OPTION or STANDARD) as to the build level cost of the car, CRUISE-O-MATIC being the hi-dollar option.

4) The C4 replaced the F/M/2 in 1964.

- WHY IS IT ... -