Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Brake Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
It doesn't take much to get to $1K on a modern car even at Midas, Mineke, or even Sears anymore. Add that to the lack of quality of work coming from either of these places, I prefer to source my modern car work elsewhere.
my response was geared more to the quality of work.... but then again since they work partly commission and i have had many individuals come here after they tried to hammer them on what was needed the whole situation is a joke
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #22
larrys40

Ok guys , taking ribbing in my comparison of new car brake work vs model a comprehensive rebuilding / restoration . Ill choose my comparison more wisely next time !!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #23
wrmayne

Randy Gross is great. Please go to him for cast iron drums. You will not regret it. You will not be disappointed with quality or price.
wrmayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
wgmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gross View Post
I really don't understand why more of you don't try us out for all of your brake needs.

We have cast iron drums, relined shoes. e bands.

We rebuild backing plates and can swedge our drums on your hubs.

Ask on this website and see how others feel about our product, quality of work performed, turn around time, and customer service.

Call or email if interested

Randy Gross
[email protected]
714-292-8660
I bought drums from Randy and he rebuilt my backing plates also. Great guy to work with and mine Town Sedan actually STOPS. I feel much safer. He doesn't need a website - just give him a call.
wgmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
Floats

Hi DJ,
I cant answer your question regarding costs. Here in South Africa every thing imported is X 3. I am not talking exchange rates. We pay the US price, the US shipping price as well as the South African import duties. Thumb suck, three times the US costs, before we talking 14 of our Rands to a US$.

However, in an attempt to answer your question, RANDY GROSS at [email protected] is your man.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #26
Chris H

I just rebuilt my brakes this summer and used Mel Gross CI drums, linings, and had him rebuild the backer plates. Randy Gross does excellent work and has it done when he says it will be done. I can not praise him enough! Great work! Thanks Randy.
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #27
1930pu

Call Randy Gross, I talked to him a couple of times before sending my hubs to him, super guy to talk to and fast turnaround, great job on the drums and I got the correct shoes, the brakes work better than ever, I would use him again... Jim
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #28
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
I really don't understand why more of you don't try us out for all of your brake needs.
Randy Gross
I see one of the problems is that folks don't know what ya got... No websire, no catalog, ads?

With the other vendors it's all laid out in front of them, different parts, prices, services available, pictures.

When I bought my drums from Bratton's it didn't even occur to me to call you even tho I've seen you mentioned numerous times on "The Barn" and your closer to me.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-17-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #29
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I see one of the problems is that folks don't know what ya got... No websire, no catalog, ads?

With the other vendors it's all laid out in front of them, different parts, prices, services available, pictures.

When I bought my drums from Bratton's it didn't even occur to me to call you even tho I've seen you mentioned numerous times on "The Barn" and your closer to me.
In the Model A hobby there is a "guy" for every aspect of the Model A. Many that have cottage industries don't advertise. You hear about them by word of mouth. When someone like Randy does good work at reasonable prices, the word spreads fast.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #30
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
In the Model A hobby there is a "guy" for every aspect of the Model A. Many that have cottage industries don't advertise. You hear about them by word of mouth. When someone like Randy does good work at reasonable prices, the word spreads fast.

Tom Endy
Tom, I'm sure everything you say is true but the thing is I had a Bratton's Catalog in front of me when I ordered my hubs and drums and saw I could order them assembled I could see other parts I would need to order at the same time. I could also see the prices right there in the catalog so I could plan my budget.

I wasn't trying to "Bad Mouth" Randy in any way, just trying to answer his question (In my case anyway.) " why?? "

Quote:
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #31
larrys40

The quality of the brake job is not only in the parts, how they are mated,restored,replaced, but also in the re-assembly of the various parts and components and adjusted properly to make everything work as they were when new.
I just completed a brake re-rebuild and repair on a car that had new brattons drums, roller tracks replaced (unkown roller tracks and by whom/ incorrect dimensions) new bratton shoes with linings, drums scored, rear brake actuating levers half frozen, etc.. and in short the car was purchased and the brakes albeit with many new parts were non-existent in function.
Linings had to be redone, roller tracks machined to proper dimension, drums turned, shoes arced, bushings/shafts replaced as necessary, and more.. and then properly set up and adjusted. They are now awesome and will skid to a stop.

It's about knowing and understanding what you are doing. I don't think that it's as simple as sending off your assemblies and getting them back and slapping them on. I would still always center to "your axle housings/car) and make sure all is true and arced and of course assembled to ensure all is correct. That includes front brake operating shafts, spindle bolt brake pins/wedges, if a pill is needed, brake rod clevis drilled for oversize or repaired back to standard... brake cross shaft and rod restoration and more. I can't imagine a " brake job in a box" with unfamiliar installation as good as one that is done by a skilled restorer/"A" mechanic.

I think it's great the augmentative services that are available out there from the various suppliers but I think it's better to get the right help in doing the whole job from dis assembly to restoration to re-assembly and setup/adjustment to ensure optimum performance.
After completing the recent re-restoration of brakes on a recent local acquisition of one of our members my bet would be with the skilled person from start to finish ...
I realize depending on location and expertise in your area that may not be possible...and of course labor cost... but then good brakes are important to stay alive.
Too many people say how poor Model A Brakes are when they can actually be skidding to a stop in time if needed.
Just my 2-cents worth.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #32
stewwolfe

I did the brakes on my 68C last summer, with Bratton's CI drums at a cost of a little more than 2K. This year I did my Roadster, using Randy Gross' CI drums at a cost of a little more than 1K. Randy was great to work with and has top quality drums. We had a tool made, borrowed a 50 ton press, and swedged the hubs on to our drums ourselves. It's not that hard with the proper tooling, but you have to have the tooling. The biggest problem with using Randy, if you are on the east coast, is shipping cost, but I still suggest using him for your brake parts. The most important thing is that you replace or rework all the worn parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #33
dennis lumbert

I met Randy Gross last summer when I still lived in Ca. He turned some rear cast iron drums for me which I previously had purchased from another vendor.He is committed to doing the best job he possibly can and is very well equipped to supply parts/ rebuild backing plates/install new drums.I now live in Ar. But will be calling him for any brake needs in the future on my A. I thank you also Randy. Dennis Lumbert
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #34
c125bob

I used Randy as well, good to work with and quality parts. Worth the shipping !!
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote