Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #21
31Tudor

Default Re: Best choke for downdraft carb?

Well, it looks like I am going to be the outcast here, I run a 97 on a speedster, the carb has a choke, but I never use it. I pump the gas maybe 2-3 times turn the key and it starts right up. sometimes I have had to repeat the process. Yes, when it is 40 degrees out, it is a little cold blooded, but it does just fine. Needs to warm up a bit. When I have run this set up, I have even had ice build up around the throat of the intake. I have run this in cold endurance runs in the Northwest and I have never had an issue where I felt that I needed a choke. I have run it about 8,000 miles without operating the choke. If I really had to, I guess I could manually click the choke open a bit.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #22
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
Well, it looks like I am going to be the outcast here, I run a 97 on a speedster, the carb has a choke, but I never use it. I pump the gas maybe 2-3 times turn the key and it starts right up. sometimes I have had to repeat the process. Yes, when it is 40 degrees out, it is a little cold blooded, but it does just fine. Needs to warm up a bit. When I have run this set up, I have even had ice build up around the throat of the intake. I have run this in cold endurance runs in the Northwest and I have never had an issue where I felt that I needed a choke. I have run it about 8,000 miles without operating the choke. If I really had to, I guess I could manually click the choke open a bit.
Although I went to all the trouble to install a working choke for my 97 equipped Model A, I, too, have never used it. I go thru the same routine described above, and we have a lot of less than ideal weather conditions here.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #23
Gene F

Carl, what else has been done to your engine, and how does that thing run? I assume you have a few hills in Alaska?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote