Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Hauling a pickup.... Why SO difficult?

I'm tying to get a one ton pickup from Hayden Lake Idaho to Marysville Wa. Certain work and family constraints keep me from hauling it myself. I went to a vehicle hauling site which looked local and was bombarded with cheap prices and now that I'm ready nobody calls back . These outfits are all over the country. I have never been involved in such a convoluted web of BS in my life. Who are they, what are they doing? This isn't my first rodeo with truck hauling and I know about 'Central Dispatch'. I had finally found a family owned outfit in Belgrade Mt called 'Western Sky Haulers', but they are out of the business now and I am left to the wolves. Is there a real company I can call and they will tell me how much and when and we just make a deal. Other than 6 miles north off 90 to Hayden it is all I-90 and I-5 about 350 miles. It is inop but rolls nicely on good tires....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Hauling a pickup.... Why SO difficult?

If you can find a car auction company anywhere between you and your destination, check with them. They are constantly moving vehicles and looking for ways to avoid a dead head.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Bob C

Here is a couple that have been posting on the AA truck site for years
I have no personal experience with either one.

Jim
260-804-6695
HAMB Hauling Image Gallery Click Here
Customer Feedback Click Here
AA Member Since 2011

God Bless
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works
(216)832-8697 No texts
[email protected]

Last edited by Bob C; 03-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
Binx

I've only done it once but I called a large nation-wide broker with my from-and-to and they gave me a nice low price. Their fee is flat rate off your credit card with the rest in cash to the driver. After three weeks of nothing I called to ask "what's up?" and was told no "hits" on my haul which was WAAAAY out in the sticks away from an interstate. He didn't ask (remember the brokers are flat rate), but I offered to bump the price an extra $200 and got my haul contracted within a week so I guess money talks. I'd guess you'd have better luck using a large broker with a greater number of drivers in the network.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
GB SISSON

Thank you guys. I will follow up. I also got a PM from a member here with similar info.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Tinker

I'm not making excuses, but you do live on an island and it's a big truck.

I don't want to get political, but when people say puerto rico still doesn't have power. Well they don't live in central iowa. It can be difficult.

Best of luck.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
I've only done it once but I called a large nation-wide broker with my from-and-to and they gave me a nice low price. Their fee is flat rate off your credit card with the rest in cash to the driver. After three weeks of nothing I called to ask "what's up?" and was told no "hits" on my haul which was WAAAAY out in the sticks away from an interstate. He didn't ask (remember the brokers are flat rate), but I offered to bump the price an extra $200 and got my haul contracted within a week so I guess money talks. I'd guess you'd have better luck using a large broker with a greater number of drivers in the network.

Lonnie
I bought my tonner panel from Parkers Prairie Mn, which is also off the beaten path. Very similar story and that's how I found 'Western Sky Haulers'. They wee 1400.00 instead of the 1000.00 often quoted, but they did the job on time and on budget. I live on an island and have to take an expensive ferry with a trailer to meet up with these guys, never mind a day off work. The extra money was worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loaded pass side.jpg (88.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I'm not making excuses, but you do live on an island and it's a big truck.

I don't want to get political, but when people say puerto rico still doesn't have power. Well they don't live in central iowa. It can be difficult.

Best of luck.
I'm asking the carrier to meet me at a rest area on interstate 5. It is about an hour from the ferry dock and an hour north of Seattle. It is where I transfer beams and lumber with my suppliers. I realize nobody wants to deliver to an island. Well almost nobody. Every morning there are coca cola, miller beer, insulation installers, frito lay, lumber and a seemingly endless array of other delivery trucks spilling onto the island. I am too cheap to pay the drivers for 3 hours of drinking coffee so I meet most of my suppliers on the mainland. Then I fill up on the 'cheap' mainland gasoline and groceries while I'm there.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I bought my tonner panel from Parkers Prairie Mn, which is also off the beaten path. Very similar story and that's how I found 'Western Sky Haulers'. They wee 1400.00 instead of the 1000.00 often quoted, but they did the job on time and on budget. I live on an island and have to take an expensive ferry with a trailer to meet up with these guys, never mind a day off work. The extra money was worth it.
===============================================

GB SISSON, not that it matters, but it is a kinda strange coincidence
that TINKER lives about 20 miles or so, from Parkers Prairie, MN.
Small world huh......

Old 03-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #10
cas3

alot of times with any freight if you are not in a hurry you can post it with many brokers and when they have an empty truck sitting some where, its better to go out of the way than to drive home empty. it must run, or your seller must load, but patience is a big part of cheap shipping
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:52 AM   #11
RalphG

Makes me realize how lucky I was to have a local family owned business I can call on . One phone call and I was quoted a price for the pickup and approx 3 hour haul. In a little over a week the Merc was in my yard. Hope you find somebody like this to do your job.
http://baillieboystowing.webs.com/
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #12
chap52

Caution, do not pay anything up front. I made the same type of inquiry a few weeks ago and found many that did not require any cash up front.
One place that responded and Ispoke with the agent, Ashlee seemed like a good choice, and reasonable. Atlanta GA area to Tucson AZ for about $720. No up front payment, all on delivery.
I was researching for a possible purchase which I did not make so didn't need the service. Here is the fruit of my research.
I would at least check directly with Iron Clad Auto Transport.
Here are some reviews: https://www.transportreviews.com/Com...nsport/Reviews
And their e-mail
Ashlee Favro - IRONCLAD A.T. <[email protected]>
Phone: (609)382-2125
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #13
Bill's Auto Works

Hello Sir,

I spoke to you some time back in a P.M. asking if you knew Uzek Susol. You said he was a friend of yours, did you ask him for any recommendations. He has probably dealt with other transporters besides me! I transported one from him to Texas & his Father brought it over on the ferry to meet me at the dock.
I cannot transport it for you as I already have one from Ohio to Sequim, Wa in a couple of weeks, plus depending on what year it is, being a one ton it might be too heavy for me.
God Bless & Good Luck
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #14
mrtexas

Quote:
Oh, the price of paradise! I love Orcas Island but hate the dreary weather. Be thankful your island isn't close enough to commute to Seattle. I live in the sun belt but was born at Providence Hospital in Seattle. Dad still lives in Bellevue. I've used Montway who is a broker and had to pay up front but always shipped within a day or so. Try Uship, actual truckers look there.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Oh, the price of paradise! I love Orcas Island but hate the dreary weather. Be thankful your island isn't close enough to commute to Seattle. I live in the sun belt but was born at Providence Hospital in Seattle. Dad still lives in Bellevue. I've used Montway who is a broker and had to pay up front but always shipped within a day or so. Try Uship, actual truckers look there.
Thanks all! Things are looking up for a shipper. It's a whole different ball game for me if I can get it here near me when I already have to be off the island for a lumber run. Saves a work day and ferry fare. The photo here was taken by a man from Minnesota who was visiting Western Washington. He apparently passed me on Interstate 5 hauling the Parkers Prairie Panel just after I had met with Western Sky Haulers a few miles south of there and transfered the load to my trailer. This guy has a friend from home who frequents the 'Ford Truck Enthusiasts' site so he snapped a picture of my rig rolling North that afternoon, and sent it to 'Havi,' the FTE guy. Havi responded with 'Hey I know that guy and have been following his thread about the tonner panel out in Washington'. Havi then posted the photo below. And yes, as they say at Disneyland, It's a small world after all'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gbsisson panel tonner.jpg (102.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
GB SISSON

I guess it isn't really just a pickup. I told them it has a small boom off the back, but another car could be parked under it. Keep your fingers crossed. 6 cyl engine turns over and is complete, so might try to get it running and use it around the place as is. BUT if engine is junk, it would be a period type of repair to swap in a V8! I have a decent running 8ba and also a 59ab on the run stand. Sorry for the off brand, but I passed one of these up in Spokane about 20 years ago and when this came up cheap I had to leap. No intentions of running it on the road, just my 'junkyard dog' for around the ten acres of junk. I picture my oxy-atcetylene set strapped to a pipe frame headache rack. One of my friends calls me a 'hopeless romantic'. I considered it a compliment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CL Stude 2.jpg (51.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg CL Stude.jpg (53.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #17
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Hauling a pickup.... Why SO difficult?

Quote:
I'm tying to get a one ton pickup from Hayden Lake Idaho to Marysville Wa. Certain work and family constraints keep me from hauling it myself. I went to a vehicle hauling site which looked local and was bombarded with cheap prices and now that I'm ready nobody calls back . These outfits are all over the country. I have never been involved in such a convoluted web of BS in my life. Who are they, what are they doing? This isn't my first rodeo with truck hauling and I know about 'Central Dispatch'. I had finally found a family owned outfit in Belgrade Mt called 'Western Sky Haulers', but they are out of the business now and I am left to the wolves. Is there a real company I can call and they will tell me how much and when and we just make a deal. Other than 6 miles north off 90 to Hayden it is all I-90 and I-5 about 350 miles. It is inop but rolls nicely on good tires....
You can get anything hauled if you are willing to pay what it actually takes to transport your vehicle.

I operate an actual business that has been in continous operation since 2006 with the
same website for (12) years that I wrote the code for myself.

I lived in Post Falls - Coeur d'Alene - Sandpoint, ID in the early 80's.

That is where I served my electrical apprenticeship.

It is another bad Winter.

For the second Winter in a row - I am sticking to West Coast I-5 runs & Cross Country
routes along I-40 & I-10.

If someone is heading west along I-90 they are usually already full from points further east.

Jim

On Fordbarn since 2010
In Business Since 2006
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4564 - Edited.jpg (29.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (17).jpg (177.9 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7713.jpg (42.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Small.jpg (161.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 507666-1393516464-cd08802c458bbe00bc522b6d3905ded4.jpg (310.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (75).jpg (38.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by trulyvintage; 03-04-2018 at 06:03 AM.
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #18
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Hauling a pickup.... Why SO difficult?

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-01-31 at 9.04.05 PM.jpg (19.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4435 - Edited.jpg (44.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Banner.jpg (25.7 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by trulyvintage; 03-04-2018 at 06:01 AM.
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
cas3

that is a pretty macho rig GB, it will be a good tool for the yard, rudabega or not. maybe fordabega after the transplant
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
tubman

Doesn't "Ol' Ron" have a flathead in a 'Binder"?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote