Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
kelly.ga

Question Oil pan removal 47

Hey guys, I haven't been on the forum for some time. Wife was very sick and passed away last April. Now I am trying to stay busy working on my 47 coupe. A couple of weeks ago I checked the oil and it was way over full. I am thinking maybe sludge in the oil pan so I have taken 14 bolts out of the pan but haven't broken the seal yet. I put my fingers up in the oil drain hole as far as I could and there is some stuff in there, don't know if it's enough to make the oil read over full. But anyway, i was wondering before I break the seal on the pan, is there anything that maybe I could pour down the dip stick tube and kinda flush the pan out. If not, do I have to remove the starter to remove the pan. Also, do I have to remove the big transmission bolts to get the pan out. One last thing, I got the tube going to the filter loose, but what about the dip stick tube, can I just wiggle it out or try to bring it down if I have to remove the pan. Thanks in advance. I know some of you have been down this road before. KELLY
kelly.ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Oil pan removal 47

way over full may be the result of gas or antifreeze in the pan. gas is easy-does the oil smell like gas? antifreeze would have drained out first as oil is lighter, did you notice what was draining out? could be sludge, i seen alot but usually only on old motors that have not run for decades. the dip stick tube is pipe thread, it screws out, and the starter is heavy and so is the pan so removing the starter will make things a bit less to wrestle with. no magic juice will loosen it up, just got to take it off to really see what you got going on. may need a new oil pump screen, or atleast a cleaning. transmission bolts too ,good luck!

Last edited by cas3; 11-30-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I was thinking gas or water/antifreeze as well. What did the oil that came out look like? Did you measure it to be sure it just wasn't overfilled?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
kelly.ga

The oil is black as tar. I did not measure it but still have it, maybe can do that tomorrow. Will I have to jack up the engine to get the pan out. I know on a 36 you do, hope not on a 47.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
tubman

Also remember that you should have the crankshaft turned so the front counterweight is up so you have enough clearance to move the pan back. It might help to look at it after the pan has dropped the initial amount so you can see where the counterweight is.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
FortyNiner

Sorry to hear about your wife. Glad that the 47 is providing you some engagement.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
BillM

Don't forget this bolt on the top side near the starter. There is another in about the same spot on the drivers side too.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1396649723
Old 11-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
zoegrant

Assuming the oil has been drained, Try unscrewing the dipstick tube to allow access to the oil pan and then pour in 2 quarts of M&P Naphtha with a funnel thru the dipstick hole. Let it sit for a few days then drain and strain the Naphtha and do again. This could disolve any sludge in the pan.
MAKE SURE BATTERY IS DISCONECTED AS THIS STUFF IS FLAMMABLE LIKE GAS.

I have never done this but as long as the engine is not turned over so that the oil pump is not involved I can not see any harm.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES

Has anyone done this before????????????? If so, please comment.
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
cas3

i had a 47 gmc that had never seen much maintainence so we did the old timer thing of putting 2 gals of diesel fuel in and run for ten minutes or so, and repeat a couple times. i will say that some glops of crud would come out when it was drained, so i guess we did something, but i never put any real miles on it, and never had the pan off to see what was left. naphtha is powerful stuff, but i dont see anything doing much without some agitation of some sort. you could rig up a pump and squirt in there like a pressure washer, but still you have no idea really what you have done. most likely the pump screen is clogged, and is the motor healthy otherwise? maybe do a new pump too while your in there.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
[email protected]

I have seen this in the past. I think most likely the fuel pump leaking gas into the oil. You may be able to flush out the pan without removing it. If it is the pump, replace it with a new pump with an alcohol resistant diaphram.

Bill in Conn.
patbill@megahits.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
kelly.ga

Thank you guys for the input. Sounds like I might be afraid of the naphtha. I think I am going to take the easy way out first and refill with 5 quarts of oil and see if that shows over full. If so guess I won't have any choice but to remove the pan. Thanks for the tip on the crank weights. I have always had to pump the gas and choke it like crazy to get it running so I'm leaning toward gas. Hope you all have a super Merry Christmas.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
zoegrant

Kelly.ga..........dont be afraid of the Naphtha. I am using it right now in the oil pan in my 59AB engine. I put in 4 qt down thru the dipstick tube opening after removing the tube.
I then hooked a rubber hose to my compressor and with the right blower tip am able to let air trickle in just like a parts cleaner...Will let you know how i make out after a few days.
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Vintage Copper 47

The manual says the engine must be removed to remove the oil pan..

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
drolston

For reasons I have never learned, a 59A/B engine with a stock dip stick will show half inch over full when you put 5 quarts of oil in it. But every reference says the engine takes 5 quarts. And five quarts does not foam up, so it is not overfull to the point of having the crank journals dip into the oil in the pan. So as to avoid confusion should anyone but me ever look at the dip stick (unlikely), I slipped a half inch thick rubber bushing over the dip stick so that when it is inserted as far as it will go, it shows full with 5 quarts.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
supereal

From the description give, it is more than likely the engine will have to come out, anyway. With that much contamination, I would suspect that the block has cracked by freezing. It often happens on the skirt just above the oil pan flange. That allows all the coolant, or water, to flood the pan.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote