Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
Lon Jackson

Default Drop Axle Installation

What all is involved in the installation of a drop front axle in a 1936 Ford pickup?
Lon Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Drop Axle Installation

Do you have hydraulic brakes or mechanical brakes? As a general rule you cannot put one in a car or pickup with mechanical brakes. If you have hydraulics you'll need to bend the steering arms or cut them off and use aftermarket arms on the spindles. You may or may not, have to shorten the drag link and the tie rod. The big challenge is removing the perch pins from the old axle and wishbone. Very difficult to remove because of years of rust and corrosion. If you still have the stock wishbone make sure you buy an axle the has the correct spacing for your wishbone. There's lots of cheap dropped cast axles out there for sale so I'm very skeptical of the quality.
Since you live in Corvalis, Oregon you might look up Sid Campbell over in Albany. He's an old Ford guy and has experience with what you are trying to do.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Tinker

Have you removed an axle before? Or used a spring spreader?

More then likely you will need drop spindles also.

It's not a horrible job and it also allows you to fit new kingpins also. Be careful with the perch pins as you don't want to damage them.

TJ beat me to it.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Lon...Once you have firmly and safely set the front of the vehicle on jack stands under the frame rails, you will need to remove the axle and wishbone assembly from under the vehicle. The front needs to be elevated fairly high so that the front spring will have enough clearance to drop down out of the front crossmember. You don't mention whether you still have the mechanical brake rods on that vehicle, or if it has been converted to hydraulic brakes. If it still has, and you plan on using the mechanical brakes, a dropped axle is gonna make things very complicated in a hurry going back together. If converted to hydraulics, undo the two hydraulic hoses where they meet the wheel cylinders. Disconnect the tapered drag link end at the right-hand spindle. Remove the cap at the rear of the wishbone that holds the ball securely to the center crossmember. Place a floor jack under the front axle. Remove the two u-bolts that retain the front spring within the front crossmember channel. Lower the jack beneath the front axle until the front tires rest on the ground. Roll the entire assembly forward and out from under the vehicle. Remove leaf spring with spring spreader. Remove brake and spindle assemblies. The only thing left is the removal of the two perch pins which attach the wishbone to the axle. They are USUALLY quite difficult to remove, requiring several possible methods of applying tons of force to the two pins which easily rust in place over the decades. DO NOT BEAT ON THEM WITH A HAMMER!

Reassembly is essentially the reverse of the above procedure UNLESS you have mechanical brakes. If that is the case, you'll have to ask for some additional help.

The only other procedure to be aware of is that you will likely have to heat and bend the two spindle steering arms downward (guys have been performing this procedure for well over 80 years now) so that the tie rod will clear the wishbone. Hope this gets ya started! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Lon Jackson

Thanks Guys for this information. I do have hydraulic brakes , so that is good. I wasn't sure weather or not I would need to buy more stuff or not on top of the axle.. I have a spare axle, That I may have someone heat and bend for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

My advice would be to have your axle dropped as opposed to using an aftermarket axle. If you are in a bit of a hurry, you can use your axle as an exchange core. Sid's has them, but Okie Joe actually droppes the pre-37 axles. I get them from Joes.

https://droppedaxles.com/axles#1933-36 Ford Dropped Axle

Okie Joe's Speed Shop

http://www.joesspeedshop.com/joesproducts.htm

Last edited by JSeery; 01-20-2020 at 01:49 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
tubman

There is one more thing that may be of interest to you. Some people have had better luck pulling the perch pins out of the axle rather than pushing them out. I know there is a thread on the H.A.M.B. about it. You may want to do a search and take a look at it before you proceed. If you can't find it, maybe I can help find it.

I see the title of your thread is Drop Axle Installation, but trust me, the major task is getting the old one apart.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
Lon Jackson

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
Tinker

There are a few threads on removing the perches.

Certainly patience, heat, penetrating fluid, and a press can be helpful. When using a press keep the nut on and level it to the pin. It helps to keep the pin from mushrooming.

I destroyed one of my 38s perches the first time I removed an axle. So the second one I used heat, fluid, and a press. It did finally pop out. Biggest thing I think is to take your time. Go out and spray some kroil on it now.

I've heard also that a large pipe wrench on top of the pin to get it to turn slightly can help.

As always, if your concerned stop and ask here. Someone will help.

Quick search, thread tubman may be mentioning... I think there is one on here also
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...r-pins.154737/

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

I've had Okie Joe do my work for me. It is more than just heating and bending -- the axle needs to be magnafluxed and the correct camber set. Also, depending on the spindles and steering, you may want to send Joe a new set of kingpins and your spindles - such that he can setup the kingpins as well as heat/bend the steering arms to clear the wishbone (not always needed, talk to Joe).

The point is that ALL of it needs to be done correctly and all the components need to fit. Lastly once you drop the axle, the overall spindle-to-spindle width will be narrower, so you may need to cut and thread the tie-rod to handle the new length.

Not a big deal, but you have to consider the whole project . . . and all the pieces/parts that go on to your frontend. You want it safe and a pleasure to drive!

Good luck,
B&S
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
19Fordy

Be sure to ask if your dropped axle will be narrower than the stock axle as a result of being "dropped". Some dropped axles end up being narrower after dropping. This will increase your turning radius. Be sure to ask this question.

Some folks like the "narrowed" axle because it provides better fender/tire clearance and centers the tires under the fender. Magnum axles for 1940 Fords are narrower than stock by 3/4 in.

Remember the Ackerman Principle if YOU bend your stock steering arms.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...rman+principle
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Lastly once you drop the axle, the overall spindle-to-spindle width will be narrower, so you may need to cut and thread the tie-rod to handle the new length.

Not NECESSARILY true! Many of the axle droppers are capable of "STRETCH-dropping" the axle ends, whereas the ends are stretched (elongated) to maintain the original width. Model A, '32 and '33-36 "stretched" examples below. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
hotrodart

I had to heat the axle to remove the perch pins, and use a 150 Ton press......they came out with a big bang, but were still in great condition. i suggest you use anti-sieze when you re-assemble. Also...I mocked up the entire set up, with the wishbone and spring on my shop floor and checked everything carefully prior to installing on the frame.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #14
19Fordy

Good point V-8. I did have to shorten and re thread my 40 Ford tie rod.

Amazing how the small modifications can add up if you aren't aware of the side effects.
I recall, I also used the bolt on dropped steering arms BUT, had top make very sure that the new bolts did not bottom out so they could be GOOD AND TIGHT.

One more thought. On a 36 Ford is there a chance that a dropped axle will cause
steering components or wishbone to hit the oil pan if you 'go too low".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
One more thought. On a 36 Ford is there a chance that a dropped axle will cause
steering components or wishbone to hit the oil pan if you 'go too low".
Only the part of the axle outboard of the wishbone bolt is dropped, there is no effect on the relationship of the wishbone to the frame, engine, etc.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The photo of the axles V8 posted is from Joe's site online. You might like the heading from his site as well!

Joes Speed Shop
"Screwing Up Perfectly Good Old Cars since 1956"

Old 01-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Only the part of the axle outboard of the wishbone bolt is dropped, there is no effect on the relationship of the wishbone to the frame, engine, etc.

Seery is RIGHT! The axle does NOT move up in relation to the frame. Effectively, the tires and wheels are the only thing(s) that move UPWARD in relation to the rest of the car. Heard's '36 3-window with dropped axle below. Everything clears, but his does have the '37-'48 steering box. It's the shorter '36 box (higher Pitman arm location) that causes pan/drag link problems. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Not directly related to the question but be sure you have adequate tire clearance.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Not NECESSARILY true!
Good point - I forgot about the 'stretched' versions . . . kind of like a piece of carnival taffy. FWIW, I've never liked the stretched look - and the amount of stretch I see on some axles makes me a bit nervous. When the cross-sectional dimensions are reduced, the overall strength of that part of the axle is reduced.

Does it present a problem . . . I don't really know . . . though I know its been done thousands of times before.

In my mind if Henry thought that "thinner" was better, he'd have done it - as he'd go an extra mile to save a few cents on materials! LOL

Stretch away boys . . . stretch away . . .
B&S
Old 01-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Seery is RIGHT! The axle does NOT move up in relation to the frame. Effectively, the tires and wheels are the only thing(s) that move UPWARD in relation to the rest of the car.
In addition, the stock steering arms are now higher - which may cause a drag link or tie-rod clearance issue. (the issue you talk about up above)

I've not built a 36, but one solution might be to heat-bend-lower the steering arms on the original spindles? This is similar to the changes required for dropped 32 axles - where the original steering arms are sometimes heated/bent to miss the wishbones.