Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Steves46

Default Fuel Fitting Question

As I continue to learn new things about my 30 Coupe, yesterday I was driving and started to smell gas while the car was stalling. Pulled over, opened the hood and discovered the fuel line backed-out of the glass bowl on the firewall. I noticed there was no feral on the tip of the ga line and pushed it back in through the already tight fitting which leads me to this question...what type of fitting is this? It certainly is not keeping the line firmly in-place. I am either going to order a complete replacement fuel line or fuel line fitting with feral from Snyders. Honestly, I am hoping I can resolve with a replacement fitting. Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Fitting 1.jpg (46.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Fitting.jpg (76.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Fuel Fitting Question

This is what you should have.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A9245-300x400.jpg (19.4 KB, 4 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Steves46

Thanks. Will order from Snyder’s.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

The fitting you have appears to be the new type fitting that comes with the gas lines that the vendors are selling. They have the ferrules connected to the fitting and (supposedly) break off when tightened. Yours is missing the ferrule.

IMO these new fitting/ferrules are junk and don't work anywhere near as well as the original type that have a separate fitting and ferrule. You really have to get them tight to break off the ferrule and crush the ferrule onto the gas line. I have seen numerous gas lines with the ferrule loose.

IF you can get ferules like Bob C shows that is the way to go.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-03-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Correct spellin' lose > loose
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
The fitting you have appears to be the new type fitting that comes with the gas lines that the vendors are selling. They have the ferrules connected to the fitting and (supposedly) break off when tightened. Yours is missing the ferrule.

IMO these new fitting/ferrules are junk and don't work anywhere near as well as the original type that have a separate fitting and ferrule. You really have to get them tight to break off the ferrule and crush the ferrule onto the gas line. I have seen numerous gas lines with the ferrule lose.

IF you can get ferules like Bob C shows that is the way to go.
Plus 1 (+1) on above.

Check out your aluminum body fuel filter CAREFULLY lest someone over-enthusiastically tightening has caused the ferrule ring to stay behind. This ring MUST be removed to clear the seat/seal for the new ring you put in.

AND - the repop line of your previous failed assembly may have damaged your aluminum body fuel filter. It is possible to "re-dress the seat" but requires some ability and a light hand with a proper taper reamer. Its easy to ream too much.

Some have used an O-ring in place of the brass ferrule. This works and this O-ring should be part of your emergency kit - but the rubber doesn't offer much resistance to the gas line "pulling" or vibrating out of the fitting. The rubber ring offers a way to get home and address a larger problem.

Joe K
Old 02-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...look carefully at the threads in the fuel filter. Chase them if you can and see if the treads are still good. If they have been flexed, then you would be wise to change the filter to obtain a good tight fit. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote