Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
34fivewindow

Default Lincoln V12 to V8 project

After reading all the other post on the ignition, and a Good Friend gave me a really nice stock Lincoln distributor to work with, i wanted to build one. I bought the three 1954 car craft magazines from ebay, and started reading, on what was involved in the conversion. I need to make up a set of plug wires, and then bolt it on a 39 ford, and see if it runs, if so i'm sending the coil to Skip for a rebuild. If anyone out there wants to build one of these i have plenty of the brass left over to make the four contact strips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lincoln v12 dist 004.jpg (138.2 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by 34fivewindow; 07-07-2018 at 11:39 AM.
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Lincoln V12 to V8 project

Looks great
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Looks great
Thanks, it was a fun project, the articles and photos Dean Moon did made this something a kid could have built in his auto shop class, for his hot rod.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Fordestes

A work of automotive art, I have been wanting to do this and I bought two distributors, points and coils, one to run and a spare to carry. I sent you a p.m . I would like to buy some of the brass strips. I found some copper but to me it would not last as good as brass. e mail me and I will send some money and address, I need advice on grinding the shaft for the rotor, I an a little concerned because I don't want to ruin the shaft . Thanks for the offer. Derral Estes
[email protected]
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
A work of automotive art, I have been wanting to do this and I bought two distributors, points and coils, one to run and a spare to carry. I sent you a p.m . I would like to buy some of the brass strips. I found some copper but to me it would not last as good as brass. e mail me and I will send some money and address, I need advice on grinding the shaft for the rotor, I an a little concerned because I don't want to ruin the shaft . Thanks for the offer. Derral Estes
[email protected]
Derral, if you live in the US, PM me your address, and i will send the strips in the mail, no charge. If you don’t live here the strips are 5/16 wide by 4 inches long, and .020 thick. The flat on the ford rotor shaft that gets hand filed to fit the lincoln rotor is 90 degrees from the original ford flat on the shaft.

Last edited by 34fivewindow; 07-14-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Fordestes

Thanks , I will get a dist. out and start to do the mod. as I see it the cam is ground down the same as the normal flat distance as normal just eliminating the lobe all together you have simplified it already, I'll go ahead and send a few bucks for the postage .
Many thanks , this makes me anxious to get one completed.
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Thanks , I will get a dist. out and start to do the mod. as I see it the cam is ground down the same as the normal flat distance as normal just eliminating the lobe all together you have simplified it already, I'll go ahead and send a few bucks for the postage .
Many thanks , this makes me anxious to get one completed.
Fordestes
Darrel, you don’t owe me anything, i will get the strips in the mail this week. The cam only needs to be ground down 1/32 or so, i used a 90 degree air tool, but make sure you remove the correct four lobes. I marked the four lobes that i needed to save with red touch up paint, and made sure to stay away from them.