Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #21
Chris_AAFord

Default Re: F@#$ing Shackles

I got shackle bushings a few weeks ago that I could not get into my perches, I tried everything except a press. I was later told by a knowledgeable individual that a lot of the newer bushings are too thick and that he's been turning them a few thousandths with a lathe to get them to fit better.

The shackles were also too long...
Chris_AAFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 AM   #22
Beauford

Look good on length but there is no way the bushing will go in...
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #23
Synchro909

Just a note. The shackle pin to bush fit doesn't have to be very good. MANY, MANY are the cars that did thousands of miles on shackles where the ID was no more than drilled. Sometimes, I think we get too fussy.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #24
Beauford

Arnold...LOL If I ever get a bush in the axle perch it will tight as a tick!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #25
Logan

I've used the new ones to push the old ones out before when I was in a bind. I just butted the new bushing up to the old one then put a 3/8 socket butted against the new bushing and hammered it in. The socket was just the cushion so the hammer didn't flare the end of the bushing. It worked really well and didn't tear anything up. I did two bushings like this. But I made sure that I hit the bushing in from the same direction that I was putting the shackle in. That way if the end of the new bushing got boogered trying to push the old one out, when you tap the shackle in, the bushing metal would just fold back down and there were no issues.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #26
rocket1

I also use a long bolt and a couple of heavy washers to pull them in,if you pound them in you will probably distort the edge of the tube.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #27
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauford View Post
Ok...I have searched and have looked through my little red book. How in the heck do the shackle bushings to fit into the front axle perch or spring? Do I need another Henry Friendly tool??
I just installed a pair two days ago. Bought a bushing install tool from Harbor Freight. And believe it or not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it worked. Has various sizes for different bushings. Wont distort the ends
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #28
Beauford

ZZ...I am on it!! I have a HF on the way home from work! I'll give it a try! All ya'll have great info! something will give but not me!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #29
Vonn Ditch

Here's a crazy idea. Measure the ID of the perch, then measure the OD of the bushing. What you are looking for is an interference fit of about .003. There are two common methods for installing parts with an interference fit connection. The first is to use a force greater than the maximum tangential stress described (A BFH). This can be difficult depending on the force required and has the potential to damage the components. The second method, usually a safer option, varies the temperature (through heating or cooling) between the parts to cause the material to expand or contract to a size that would allow the parts to slip past each other. Then, the parts would regain the interference as they expand or contract back to room temperature conditions. The temperature required depends on the amount of interference between parts and the thermal expansion coefficient of the material. Note: the thermal conductivity of the materials should also be considered when using this method since this will determine how fast the materials will go back to room temperature conditions. Cooling is often preferred to heating since heating can often cause unwanted distortion in the parts, but this depends on the materials involved.
I hope this has been helpful in your endeavor to install your bushings.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #30
Terry, NJ

If you have a drill press, put a bolt into it for a mandrel and hold a file against it. Do you have a micrometer 0 - 1"? If not I would recommend getting one. Your local flea market should have one or two for under $10. A mike is a good thing to have when you are doing a restoration.
Terry

Quote:
Look good on length but there is no way the bushing will go in...
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #31
zzlegend

Quote:
ZZ...I am on it!! I have a HF on the way home from work! I'll give it a try! All ya'll have great info! something will give but not me!
I should have added, that I grease them very generously inside the perch and around the bushing. Your choice on the grease. I also just installed them in my rear axle housings. Also used the tool to drive out the old bushings. Good luck with yours.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #32
Beauford

Yes, I have two micro meters...I haven't miced it yet as it was a short time window before picking up kids. I will check them both tonight to see what I'm dealing with.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #33
Roger V

I have several bushings whereby some are just too large a outside diameter like yours. None of the normal installation methods would work. Then again some of my bushings are correct. So, over the years there has been different manufacturers and obviously some not so good. This even goes for the ID too. I don't know which came from where but it sounds like a lottery.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #34
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
If you have a drill press, put a bolt into it for a mandrel and hold a file against it. Do you have a micrometer 0 - 1"? If not I would recommend getting one. Your local flea market should have one or two for under $10. A mike is a good thing to have when you are doing a restoration.
Terry
Instead of a file, I have used crocus cloth. Not quite as agressive as a file would be, and leaves a "polished" finish.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #35
Terry, NJ

That's why I recommended miking the O.D. of the bushing and the I.D. of the bushing. Crocus Cloth is great for polishing steel. but I think he needs more stock removed than crocus cloth would remove in a reasonable amount of time. AND he should file a pretty good lead (Long lead angle) on one end and enter the bore of the perch, tap it lightly, then remove it and mike it at that point. Then proceed to try to bring it almost down to that size. Once it's close, grease it up and drive it in.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Instead of a file, I have used crocus cloth. Not quite as agressive as a file would be, and leaves a "polished" finish.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #36
Beauford

Thanks, Terry....yes I will need more material removed.