Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
theHIGHLANDER

Default Who's running a Marvel/Schebler carb?

Anybody using one on their A? I have it on my CCPU and can't find the smallest measure of fault with it. I know, useless without a picture, but maybe I'll find time to load one later.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Jon-Ohio

Default Re: Who's running a Marvel/Schebler carb?

I use one on my 30 coupe. I like better than the Zenith or Tilly.

Jon in Ohio
Jon-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have one under my seat.... it ran great more power but i only use it for backup in case of breakdown because of the look...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
abachman3

I'm running one on my '30 Tudor. I believe that it runs better than the Zenith that I previously used. Been using it on this car for more than 4 years.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
29Otis

I run one on my 29 AA, it runs better than the Zenith that was on there before.
29Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
[email protected]

I am running one in a 30 Coupe. I have played with Zeniths and Tillys and started to run Zenith Model B's to get just a bit of more power for hills. I have picked up several MS carbs at swaps but dismissed them as a touring carb and never tried one. Then I picked up a NOS Marvel Schebler brand new in a Firestone box with a $7.50 price tag at an antique store once that had the instructions, etc. all with it in the box. It was way too nice to put on a car so I cleaned up another one that I had and put it on my car. I was impressed with the big increase in power and top end. It never has a tendency to stall and will idle down to a tick. If you turn off the fuel shut off it will run for a long time as it has a bigger float bowl.

In talking about MS carbs with folks it was discussed by some that by a few short years after the last Model A was made, all of the newer cars where a lot more powerful and speedier. If you were one of the "hangers on" to your Model A in 1935 and beyond you were suddenly on the faster roads with faster cars. So you then went to the Western Autos, Sears, Firestones and started to buy your "speed equipment" to try to keep up with the modern faster traffic. That is when you could try out a Simmons carb or a Tilly or even the Marvel..

Some of the replacement spare parts are again showing up for these old MS at Renners....
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
Patrick L.

I have several for parts and could only get one completed, but, I'd to be able to complete a couple more.
I've always liked the Tillotson's [ and still do], but, the Marvels do run better than the Zeniths or Tilly's.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Google Renner's Corner. They have a complete inventory for the Marvel/Schebler carb.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
duke36

I have one on my car; it starts happy at GAV 1/2 turn open and runs well at approx. 1/4 turn open though it leaks a little at shut down. May have to check the float level, etc as I've never had it apart. Perhaps I should run it down at shut off as some suggest. MPG seems to be a little less than the Zeniths I've had but it appears to achieve more power.
If any one has an instruction sheet or section view diagram for the Marvel or Allstate they could post, that would be helpful.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 AM   #10
Richard Redmond

I run one on my 1929 roadster despite having a beautiful, restored Zenith. Starting is very good. My mileage each year is very low so I have only an intuitive feeling that performance is just fine.
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:50 AM   #11
My1930ModelA

I too run one on my 30 Town Sedan. I rebuilt it with parts from Renner's Corner and the car starts and runs good, and no leaks from the carb.
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
coatings03

Smile Re: Who's running a Marvel/Schebler carb?

I'm interested in buying this carb for my speedster build. Do all models fit the stock intake.

Jim m
coatings03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Have one (1) original that came with my 1930 Coupe in 1958.

Former mechanic owner never cleaned it or dismantled it; and neither did I ..... it never saw ethanol gas ...... still have it, as mentioned often, for a spare.

One can make fast turns or stop on a dime, and because of the bowl configuration, the engine never dies because of flooding or fuel starvation with sudden stops.

In stop and go traffic, over several entire summers, with my brother and I driving to and from work every day for about 18 miles per day, we averaged 28 miles per gallon, (at the then high price of 20 cents per gallon), never exceeding 45 mph while using Amoco, non-leaded white gasoline.

Most delicate carburetors of all makes throughout history became less efficient when un-skilled owners and mechanics tried to clean and service them.

Some Model A owners do not like the looks of having a Marvel installed on their cars.

Some Marvels on ebay and at swap meets have been tampered with until they are not as efficient as originals; however, in their day, Marvel carburetor replacements were a blessing to be able to afford coupled with fuel economy when only the poorest of the poor people drove Model A's in the 1940's and 1950's ...... a middle class worker would not like to be caught dead in a Model A back then ..... now only the rich can afford them. LOL

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-29-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #14
Synchro909

I have one of those carburettors on the shelf but I've never used it. After the comments here, I'm tempted to put it on. I run a 50+ years old Stromberg on 2 of my As and while they work very well, they don't look anywhere near original. Even people who have never seen a Model A engine comment on it.
Just how good are these carbs? I can't imagine them being as good to drive as the downdraft but I'd be prepared to sacrifice a little.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
[email protected]

Here is the info that I got in this original Firestone box that has the Brand New Marvel Schebler A & B Carb. I see the instruction paper that came with it was dated 9-47 so I am assuming that was the date that Firestone was offering this as a replacement carburetor. A simple cardboard flange gasket was also in this box.
MS Carbureter Box.jpg

MS Carburetor 1_2.jpg

MS Carburetor 2_2.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #16
1930artdeco

I just bought one of these as a curiosity and will rebuild it over the winter. I just want to try it out. Are they hard to rebuild? Any quirks?

Mike
Old 07-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
duke36

Thanks for posting the info. This matches my carb. Ordered some parts from Dave @ Renners who also provided helpful info. on parts installation. The double ball valve looks like the older grose jets aftermarket for the Zeniths but won't know until dis- assembly if that is leaking. .
Does any one's carb GAV (brass) housing have a fiber washer between it and the carb casting?
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #18
harleynut

I put one on my 30 Phaeton and I noticed the difference.....ran much better, started easier, idles real nice. With my Zenith when I would come to a quick stop the engine wanted to stall......doesn't do it with a Marvel.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #19
GMCPASO

Post Re: Who's running a Marvel/Schebler carb?

Hi MS carb users

Rounded up 6 of these at a swap meet in Bakersfield this spring. Have rebuilt 4 of them and tested them on my 29 Tudor. Great Carbs. One of them seems to have some type of accelerator pump inside the bowl. I tested it today and was surprised. Appears to have a noticeable difference, quicker responds. Anyone seen one of these? It only had the A input on the side and also a Zenith GAV. No B input on the front is cast into the the top like the others. If anyone has any information on the "accelerator pump"?, could I get some feedback. Now to see what happens to the MPG. Already the plugs are better condition, running much cleaner and operates much smoother on acceleration and noticeable better when climbing hills with a slight opening of the GAV. Average price of the carbs at SM was $7. When I talked to Reener's Corners, they reported the Acc. Pump revision was made for Chevy division of GM. I sure like them as they all run much smoother and accelerate much better with the Chevy version having a quicker response as I see it.

Last edited by GMCPASO; 05-31-2017 at 06:31 PM.
GMCPASO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #20
41plym

I bought a rebuilt one from a guy off ebay.
Bolt on and drive.
Runs like a a top.
He has them all the time.
41plym is offline   Reply With Quote