Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #41
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Oil Filter 55 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post

The fact remains the left motor mount is broken.

When I replace the engine in my 55, I bought new MM. I drilled 5/16 holes through both metal sides and the rubber. Then I put in grade 8 bolts, tightened the nuts finger tight, then loosened them one full turn, and double nutted them. Two on each side. The reason being that back in the day, I saw many of these cars with a broken L/S motor mount, and the engine would lift on acceleration.

My 55 sedan had a Tremmec T3550, and I made a custom trans crossmember, it was up so tight, I could not get a ballistic blanket around the bell housing.
Your suggestions/modification(s) are great, especially safety strapping the left mount.

But you replaced your trans mount to accept the added length of the new trans whereas his install did not. Your application is HP, whereas his is not.

His mount(s) will remain stressed.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #42
40cpe

Default Re: Oil Filter 55 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

But you replaced your trans mount to accept the added length of the new trans whereas his install did not. Your application is HP, whereas his is not.

His mount(s) will remain stressed.
KULTULZ, This installation DOES have a custom transmission mount. I have completely removed the transmission mount and there was no movement from the original position. Where do you think the stress on the front mounts is coming from? I'm interested in knowing so I might remove any forward stress on the mounts. I really appreciate the comments for improvements.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #43
Daves55Sedan

Hey wait a minute ! Your motor mounts are installed backwards ! No wonder the engine is so far forward ! Didn't anybody else catch that? Look at his photo !!!
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #44
KULTULZ

Post Re: Oil Filter 55 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

Hey wait a minute !

Quote:
Your motor mounts are installed backwards ! No wonder the engine is so far forward ! Didn't anybody else catch that? Look at his photo !!!
Has been discussed. The mounts were turned to accommodate the trans mount (5/S). I am a$$-u-me(ing) T5 but may be another model even longer.

If he released the trans mount and had no rearward movement, either the mounts are not holding the engine forward ...

CORRECTION-

are holding the the engine forward (mounts are turned) or the actual insulators have become stressed/frozen so as not to allow any movement.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 05-03-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: TEXT HAS TO BE CONCISE IF YOU WANT TO BE UNDERSTOOD
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #45
KULTULZ

Question Re: Oil Filter 55 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post

I jacked the car up today...

I removed the transmission mount with transmission supported on floor jack. I tried to pry the trans/engine assembly backwards, no movement. About 3/4" slack in the driveshaft, so it is not binding.
Was the front yoke slack determined with the rear assy hanging or supported by the floor jack/stands?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #46
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Hey wait a minute ! Your motor mounts are installed backwards ! No wonder the engine is so far forward ! ....
Maybe the trans installer put it together with the engine shifted forward so the floor / trans hump didn't have to be modified, saving large amounts of: time, materials and labor.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #47
40cpe

KULTULZ, the yoke slack was checked with the transmission on the mount. I disconnected the rear u-joint and pushed the yoke forward into the transmission. The car was on jack stands under the front A-arms and under the rear axle, pretty much level.

dmsfrr, We can only guess as to the builder's motive, if he had one. He might have installed it that way out of ignorance. Judging from the position of the Z-bar attaching points, it is maybe 1"-1 1/2" forward. The shifter is close to the front seat, so maybe it was intentional. I just don't know.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #48
KULTULZ

Quote:

KULTULZ, the yoke slack was checked with the transmission on the mount. I disconnected the rear u-joint and pushed the yoke forward into the transmission. The car was on jack stands under the front A-arms and under the rear axle, pretty much level.
OK. I was just concerned that maybe the yoke was not allowed the proper in/out (driveshaft length) movement and was banging the tail-shaft and pushing the engine forward.

Does the engine sit in the bay squarely or does the left side seem to be a little ahead of the left?

Do you know the exact version of the TREMEC?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #49
40cpe

As far as I can tell, except for the head off-set, it sets square.

It is a TKO 500. 3.25 first gear and .68 OD. The rear is 3.25 ratio, 27" tires. OD is a bit tall, but it does well above 50 mph. I wouldn't have chosen those ratios, but it is what it is for now. I didn't intend to have to rebuild the entire car.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #50
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Has been discussed.

Oh, sorry, thought I read the whole thing, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Well...Okay since they have to be turned around backward to get the trans to fit, then you will just need to find a smaller filter (if there is such a thing).

But since the engine is moved so far forward now, how did you get the radiator in without hitting the fan blade. I guess you could eliminate the little spacer between the fan and water pump and use shorter bolts, but doing that would only gain you maybe 3/4 of an inch?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #51
40cpe

The radiator appears to be in the 6 cylinder position. There is a 2" spacer between the fan and the water pump.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #52
KULTULZ

You would think someone would have written a TECH ARTICLE describing this retro-fit into a 50's FORD. I have searched but found nothing very descriptive.

Maybe 'Ol Don can enlighten us...

Description of TRANS shown in attachment-

292 - T5 (pre '94) Z Code (251 Stamped) - Standard Bellhousing Modern Driveline Adaptor

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 05-05-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: TO I.D. TRANS SHOWN IN ATTACHMENT
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #53
40cpe

For what it's worth, the above picture is a T5, I believe. Below is the TKO 500 like the one in my car. I'm not sure what is different except the tail housing. This one can house both shifter positions. The tail housing does have to be removed and the shift rods altered (a kit) to change positions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tremectko500.jpg (27.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #54
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Oil Filter 55 Ford

Quote:

For what it's worth, the above picture is a T5, I believe. Below is the TKO 500 like the one in my car.
Hey THANX for that. I have no idea as when I dropped out the TOP LOADER and SROD was the hot lick.

It's been operational this long, thinking of just letting it be until a later planned re-install? It must be something regarding the trans length I would guess.

EDIT-

I just re-read one of your posts and noticed this-

Quote:

Judging from the position of the Z-bar attaching points, it is maybe 1"-1 1/2" forward. The shifter is close to the front seat, so maybe it was intentional. I just don't know.

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 05-05-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #55
Ronnie

fl300 motocraft
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #56
40cpe

Thanks Ronnie. I'm not familiar with the FL 300, but I had a 302 in a '40 for 20 years and used a FL 400 in it so I got another for this car. It fits fine, but is there a significant advantage of the FL 300 over the FL 400? I can have one ready for the next oil change if there is an advantage.