Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
jimloiselle

Default Best way to remove 40 Frod trans?

The clutch on my brothers 40 Ford needs to be replaced and we need to know the best way to remove the trans so we can get to the clutch.
There is probably more than one way, but from your experiance what is the best way?
Thanks, Jim
jimloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
alan

Default Re: Best way to remove 40 Frod trans?

pull the rear axle, remove the front seat, you can set it back-then the floor boards ( all three removable ones 2 wooden , one trans cover, remove trans, then the clutch, some times if it has a larger than normal clutch disc you may have to remove oil pan---so all that said, pull the engine it works the easiest leave the trans supported by a board or a bar across the front wish bone
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Straightpipes

Pull the engine and tranny as a unit. get it out where you can work on it properly.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Stanley

...I agree with Straightpipes. Get a couple of buddies and remove the hood, then the front fenders/rad cradle etc can be carefully removed as a one piece unit. Its easier than you think. Not a lot of bolts holding it on.... You can also then easily check other things like clutch/brake pedal bushings. They wear fairly quick.
Stan. ......
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I believe removing the rear may be a tad bit quicker and easier than removing the engine, but sometimes it's good to get that engine out to do other maintenance that's nearly impossible with the engine in place.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
JWL
Member Emeritus

I'm with JM----It is much faster to remove the rear.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
richard crow

i have done a lot of 40 ford clutch,s. the big proulbem with pulling the rear is that it,s very tight against thr floor. the 40 eng has a lot of room to come foward once the fan is removed . if your doing this on the floor no lift the question is do you want to work on your back or standing up. if you decide to pull eng just remove the hood pivot bolts do not touch the hinge bolts where they mount to the cowl .i leve the trans in the car. this way you just come foward a few inches you can always remove the trans later there light & ez to take out. either way removeing the eng or rear it,s a pain. also when geting a clutch assembly i would recomend fort wayne clutch this is one job you don,t want to do twice. back in the day we would onley use a new clutch from ford.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Kube

I too have done more of these than I care to recall. Pulling the rear back a few inches is to me far easier and quicker than pulling the engine.
However, one word of advice, if the flywheel needs to be resurfaced, the oil pan will have to be dropped. That is a terrible job with the engine in the chassis.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
gmc1941

My advice, pull it from the rear, less to disconnect and can be done with one person. Less than 2 hours by myself,it would be on the bench.

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1941 View Post
My advice, pull it from the rear, less to disconnect and can be done with one person. Less than 2 hours by myself,it would be on the bench.
That's about it, two hours out, two hours in...
Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
Pull the engine and tranny as a unit. get it out where you can work on it properly.
exactly....messing and moving the rear axle is more work in my opinion
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
VeryTangled

I don't have any experience here with 40's, but when we did the tranny in our '36 (with JM35's help) we did it by taking the rear out.

There are at least two tips I could pass along though.

1) Get two 6-8 inch long bolts that fit the bell housing to transmission mounting holes, remove the bolt heads and now you have a rod with the correct threads. Cut a slot where the bolt head is removed so you can get a screwdriver to thread them into the bell housing. Use these as line-up tools when you reinstall the trans. [Edit: This will hang the transmission in place while you get a chance to fiddle with the input shaft line up.]

2) Get one of these battery carry straps that fits over the posts. Bolt it to where the transmission shift top has been removed and use it as a handle to lift the transmission in and out. I have a photo of this somewhere but I can't find it right now!

-VT/JeffH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture4.JPG (12.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-19-2013 at 08:20 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
trainguy

I think the 40 and the 41 have the same rear trans mount, gettig the trans in and out from the top is a real bear.If I had to do again,I would remove the radiator and hood and pull the engine and trans as a assembly.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
I don't have any experience here with 40's, but when we did the tranny in our '36 (with JM35's help) we did it by taking the rear out.

There are at least two tips I could pass along though.

1) Get two 6-8 inch long bolts that fit the bell housing to transmission mounting holes, remove the bolt heads and now you have a rod with the correct threads. Cut a slot where the bolt head is removed so you can get a screwdriver to thread them into the bell housing. Use these as line-up tools when you reinstall the trans.

2) Get one of these battery carry straps that fits over the posts. Bolt it to where the transmission shift top has been removed and use it as a handle to lift the transmission in and out. I have a photo of this somewhere but I can't find it right now!

-VT/JeffH
Jeff,GREAT IDEA
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I think the 40 and the 41 have the same rear trans mount, gettig the trans in and out from the top is a real bear.If I had to do again,I would remove the radiator and hood and pull the engine and trans as a assembly.Phil
'41 is not the same as '40. Nor is the cross member. a '40 is actually considerably easier to do than a '41.
It appears there are as many opinions on which way is easier to do this job as there are ways...
If you are going for "speed" of getting this accomplished, then pulling the rear back a few inches is the way. That too is the way Ford recommended.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I have had the motor in and out of my forty numerous times. Pull the intake manifold and you don't have to mess with the hood.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
VeryTangled

Any suggestions expressed above I have most certainly learned from those more experienced than me who have been generous to share their awesome knowledge!

-VT/JeffH
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Shadetree

I am with the guys on pulling the rear end. The worst part is messing with a spring spreader and bleeding the brakes. But...On the other hand if you need to clean and paint your engine or detail the firewall, now's the time!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I am with the guys on pulling the rear end. The worst part is messing with a spring spreader and bleeding the brakes. But...On the other hand if you need to clean and paint your engine or detail the firewall, now's the time!
Leave the spring attached to the differential. Remove the U-bolts and lower the rear. then, roll it back 6".
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
VeryTangled

More hints from a noob, if you can support the two rear wheels with dollies (sp?) and the banjo with a wheeled floor jack when you lower the rear from the chassis it makes it easier to roll the rear end back and forth. It may involve getting a purchase on the frame and getting it about two feet up from the ground to allow the rear/spring to clear and come back.

-VT/JeffH