Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #81
Paul H

Default Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

Until I went to the service in 63,I had always had Chevys.When I got out of the service in 66 I went to the Chevy dealer to order a new SS convertible and drove a demonstrator down a rough brick street and was amazed at the flexing and rattling of the body.After thinking it over a couple of days,I went to the Ford dealer and drove a demonstrator down the same street and could not believe the difference.Went back to the dealer and ordered an XL convertible and have been driving Fords ever since.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #82
tierod

Smile Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

riding in a 38 deluxe tudor as a 4 year old
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #83
tierod

Cool Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

high school buddies.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #84
Raven53

Send a message via Yahoo to Raven53

Come from a whole line of them, my first truck was 53 f100, my dad and grandfather all my uncles kept me in parts and projects been that way for ever, now I am addicting my 2 boys to it ......lol
Raven53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #85
Straightpipes

When I was a young guy Fords were the only junkers that I could afford.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #86
TonyM

My father had a 1937 Ford Fordor when I was a kid. Although my father and my brother moved on to pre-war Buick Straight Eights, I never forgot that old Ford. I am looking to get a 1937 like my father had.
TM.
TonyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #87
Ray With

Always been a ford guy but in the 50's tried a couple of GM's then went back to Ford.Ford's have always been good to me as to break downs or major problems so why rock the boat? I find them very dependable .
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #88
Wily Kyote

I enjoyed the answers. Some were poignant, most all were heartwarming.

When I was seven, brother and I were scheduled for our tonsil removals during Christmas vacation from school. On the fateful morning, the gas line was frozen on the ’39 Ford sedan (it may have been ‘drip’ gas because this was during WWII). Brother and I were hoping the thing never started, but Daddy heated the fuel line with a plumber’s torch and got it running.

So off we went, two hours late and forty miles of two-lane between us and destiny. Brother and I wanted to be disgruntled, but we couldn’t be: we sat on the front edge of the rear seat, elbows hooked over the front seatback, eyes as big as saucers riveted on the speedometer. Daddy was tearing along like Junior Johnson on a white lightnin’ run. Every time the road straightened enough, the needle would hit eighty-five or more. When the road wasn’t straight, we occupants were being flung side-to-side like on a carnival ride. And wondering what awaited past the tree-shrouded curve.

Brother and I looked at each other, wordless, but we later said we were thinking the same thing: Had the gas line really been frozen, or had Daddy faked it so he could do this? I mean, he was having too much fun!

And so were we. Though the denizens of the docile farm vehicles we were zipping past seemed to not be sharing the mirth.

We got to the hospital and into our bed hours before surgery, so, were we right about the charade?

Fast forward three years, and we were stranded at roadside in darkness in a ’46 brand “C” because the oil-scooper-lubricated six cylinder had given up the ghost with babbit rod failure... And it had never been driven past sixty. Color me Ford blue ever since.
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #89
46yblock

I didnt do anythin carwise until around 40, except change oil and filters. Had many early models of slick cars, best being my 60 corvette. Got into Fords as a contrarian. Dont like the cookie cutter SBC crap that is everywhere. Being a late comer, I need to concentrate in one arena. Did divert down the route of building a Buick all aluminum 215 stroker, but sold out.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #90
phartman

My scoutmaster, Charlie Gustafson, and all the motorsports action in the mid-60s. Hooked.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #91
blucar

My early experiences with Fords was not the kind of thing that would give you a warm fussy feeling about the Ford brand of vehicles.
When I was about seven my mother and her friend loaded a bunch of us kids into the friends '34 Ford 4dr sdn for an outing to the beach. We used the Ford because our family car was a near new '40 Chevy 2dr sdn.
I have no idea why my mother was driving her friends car, I was in the middle of the front seat and my older sister was sitting next to the front door. Mother was making a left turn onto Santa Monica Blvd, when the car hit the street car tracks in the middle of the street, the body flexed throwing the right front door open and my sister almost feel out of the car onto the street. Fortunately I was able to grab her dress which prevented her from hitting the street. The event ended our trip to the beach.
My father had pretty much always been a Chevy man, except for the '37 DeSoto he bought in 1938 which he traded in on the new '40 Chevy. As WWII progressed good used cars were very hard to come by. In 1944 my father was offered $1,600. for the '40 Chevy, he had paid $850. for it new. With a pocket full of money Dad went looking for a replacement for the Chevy. Bad idea... He came home mad as h*ll because all he could find to buy was a '28 Chevy for a $1,000. Fortunately the '28 got wrecked in a few weeks, Dad lucked out and purchased a '34 Ford 4dr sdn. A few months after buying the '34 he hit a slick spot in the road, loosing control the car went into the barrow pit and rolled over on it's top. The only person hurt was my little brother, he got hit in the head with a jack that was laying on the rear floor.
The next two vehicles my father had belonged to the company he worked for, the first was a '35 Chevy, the next one was a '41 Chevy. In 1947 my father purchased a '39 Ford V8 60.... What a heap of junk... underpowered and it would not start on cold mornings... We had moved from Southern Cal to Idaho in 1942.
A neighbor had offered to give me a '29 Ford roadster pickup to get it out of his yard. I tried to convince my father to give me the V8 60 engine out of the '39, I had plans all cooked up to put the V8 60 in the Model A.... My dad would not go for the idea, he figured I'd kill myself.
My first five cars were Chevy's, '40, '41, '38, '38 and a '42... Then in 1952 my fate took a turn. I heard that a '36 Ford 5 win which one of my high school teachers had bought new was going to be junked because he had bought a new car and the '36 was sitting in his back yard with weeds up to the door handles.
The '36 set me back $125., they could be bought all over the place for $25./$50. The car had 51k on the speedo and only needed a battery.
There-in started a love affair with a car that has lasted for 59 years and 94k miles, come September.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #92
W E Mack

New guy here, found this forum lookin' on Google for info about Y-block Police Interceptor engines. Why am I a Ford guy? One word--DAD. My 1st memories are 3 yrs old playin' in Dads Forest Green & Mint '53 Ranch Wagon, I was happy even when it was sittin' still in the driveway. Then the '56 Mint & White 4 dr wagon with a 312 dropped in it. I remember brother and I in the back seat one day when we pulled up next to a '56 'Vette at a stop sign, the guy was tryin' to impress the girl with him. Dad said " Watch this. " He pulled us outta' the hole but couldn't believe he was gettin' beat by a station wagon when we blew past and beat him to the next stop sign. He wanted to try again, poor guy never knew what hit him. Then my 1st time behind the wheel, 4 yrs old, managed to pull the '24 T coupe outta' gear while Dad's talkin to a buddy in the driveway. Rolled across the street and into the ditch! Dad not happy but so relieved nobody or the T got hurt that I didn't take a well deserved butt-whippin'. Learnin' to drive and wrench at 12 in the '60 2-dr post. I could go on and on, we were a bunch of gearheads crazy for Fords. My whole life from 3 yrs old till now has revolved around motorcycles and bad boy Fords. I've had other makes, but Fords have always done it for me and always will.

W.E.

All_Ford__All_The_Time___
W E Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #93
Gumpy

feeling the power of a 49 mercury flathead and smoking the rear tires!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #94
tierod

Cool Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

Riding in a 38 Tudor as a 3 yr old. Have owned 2 38s since,
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #95
Poor Boys Garage

Grew up with a long line of family members who were all Chevy fans including my father and since I was a kid I loved Fords, there were just so many cool Fords that no one can denie that Ford has continued to build the Coolest rides! Sure Chevy and Dodge have created some cool rides, you can get much cooler than a '55 Chevy or Cuda but Ford has created tons of more cooler rides thru its life than anyone else! Then you get into trucks, sure Chevy had a couple of years of trucks that were kinda cool, the '55, '72-80's shortbeds but look at how many cool Ford trucks there are, from the very beginning they were cool, I love em all. Everyone of the Ford Generation Trucks have been cooler than hell while no others have that. And then theres ride quality, drive a chevy or a dodge and then drive a Ford, you'll never touch anything else again, you'll bleed Ford for the rest of your life!
Poor Boys Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #96
jkeesey

I didn't realize til 2 years ago that I'm a ford guy. I grew up with chevys because all the fords I could afford had crappy electronic igitions and the chevys were easy to change ad cheap to buy. I started working at my shop 2 years ago and the first car I worked on was a 40 lincoln zephyr v12 convertible, the second car was a 36 ford phaeton. After that I was hooked.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #97
jkeesey

I also forgot to mention fords in my blood because my grandfather used to race a 32 coupe in the stock car circuit
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #98
FL&WVMIKE

I became a FORD guy at a very young age. I can remember, as a kid, seeing a Model "A" roadster, looking brand new and thinking it was awesome ! This had to be during WWII, as I think I was less than ten years old. I don't know if this car was restored, or was an original, all cleaned up. I can remember seeing it, to this day. I never saw it again. At the time, my dad had a '35 Plymouth with scratchy mohair upholstery and an exhaust leak, which came into the car. I hated that car and wished that he had something neat like that Model "A" FORD Roadster. I finally got myself one for myself in 1961.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #99
abbie

Have you noticed how many of these comments start with;"My Dad". Again, "My dad", was a chevy 6 man all the way. Babbit bearings; what few times I drove his car alone it had no turn on. At 16 I bought a 41 Ford and the love began. No complaints, very happy memories through and through. That sound of twin straights on a flathead; makes the hair standup. Like hearing America the Beautiful.
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #100
Ford blue blood

"My Dad" was a hot car type of guy, he owned all brands over the years, all were on the high performance end of the line. If it had a V-8 and it "was gutsey" it was good to go...until I turned 16. The last one he owned was a 57 Olds 88 with a J-2. I turned 16 in March of 63 and it was replaced in April.

Now having said all that, my love of Fords started at a very early age. Dad would talk me along to go to his buddy Mart's place during the long WI winters. It was a shop in town with a junk yard in the back and two dirt track race cars. Both were powered by Fords (Y-Blocks) and with Johnney Lobeck driving tore up the competition at the home town track in Portage. Johnney was a hot shoe, always finished near or at the top and did it cleanly. He, Dad, Mart and a couple other guys would sit around, drink coffee and smoke and tell stories about building, driving and fixing cars. Snow melted and it was off to the track every Saturday night with Dad. I knew I had to have a Ford then and there, that stayed with me through the early high school years and in 63 the fast back Galaxie came out....and as they say....the rest is history! My first car after coming back from Nam was a 63 1/2 Red/black, 390 Z motor, 4 speed with 3:89 T-lock factory original Galaxie.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote