Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #61
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: MARC ballot and Constitution change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SATX View Post
It is all explained on page 9, far right column. But to answer your questions as I read it
They say they will look at it "at a future meeting and adjudicate it promptly. I think the adjudication is that if they agree with you, they will have more balloting to make the change they way you suggested at some future date.

My interpretation is that if you vote no and do not put any justification, your No vote will be invalid. IT does not mention anything about the Board members votes.
I see some of the issue is that much is left up to interpretation. Clarification needed.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #62
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
Since this voting is done on a post card that does not get mailed to the BOD, how is the BOD going to track the no votes and link a no vote to the explanation? I suspect the BOD is not interested in the justification for the no votes and it is a way to suppress the voting.
That's kinda what I thought, it's how I read into the thing too. The changes will pass, there will be a miraculous and majority 'Yes' posted anyway regardless of what the members say.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #63
2manycars

This reminds me of the MG club. Several members with modified cars asked for a class at the annual show for modified cars, but the one guy who is the "chairman" of the non existing show committe decided no.
Perhaps clubs are going the way of the dinosaur, like many of our cars. I wonder if any of these cars will be on the road in 20 years, or be voted off. All the manufacturers are going electric. Car museams are closing due to lack of interest, we are all getting older and many are dieing every year.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #64
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Perhaps clubs are going the way of the dinosaur, like many of our cars. I wonder if any of these cars will be on the road in 20 years, or be voted off. All the manufacturers are going electric. Car museams are closing due to lack of interest, we are all getting older and many are dieing every year.
Good points Bill I've been pondering that exact same feeling the past year or so.

At least I'm not up to my eyeballs, monetarily, in this thing called Old Cars. Seems to me like an 'investment' of many tens of thousands of dollars in gasoline powered cars may soon be an unwise decision. I hope not as I still enjoy them but look at what is being pushed at us as fast as they can get it done. And the driverless car thing.

I wonder if NASCAR will go to driverless cars too
Old 11-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #65
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Good points Bill I've been pondering that exact same feeling the past year or so.

At least I'm not up to my eyeballs, monetarily, in this thing called Old Cars. Seems to me like an 'investment' of many tens of thousands of dollars in gasoline powered cars may soon be an unwise decision. I hope not as I still enjoy them but look at what is being pushed at us as fast as they can get it done. And the driverless car thing.

I wonder if NASCAR will go to driverless cars too
I am not a fan of driverless cars, but I think the would be amusing in nascar.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #66
mhsprecher

Getting feedback is good. Maybe they should have had a two-step process: draft the changes and put them to the membership for comment. I don't see how the board can invalidate a no vote.

I read all the changes and I don't see anything to object to or comment on, so I voted for them.

For me the difficult decision was on the members of the board. They all seem very qualified and interested in serving. I wish I could vote for all of them. Of course, without knowing any of them personally, it is hard to really know who is best unless you really like what they said or their experience. It is a good club and we are lucky that there are people who are willing to serve.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 11-02-2018 at 09:15 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #67
Old182

For clarification: A "No" vote for the changes to the Constitution will NOT invalidate your vote for Board members.
One more time: A "No" vote for the changes to the Constitution without the reason behind it is useless. Voter suppression would be if the Board changed the Constitution and handed it to the membership WITHOUT a vote. This method is the opposite: it allows the membership to participate in the writing of its own Constitution and therefore the governance of its club. There is no hidden agenda here (what in the world would it be?) and the Board is asking that you state any problems you have with its proposal so they can discuss and rewrite or explain why it was done the way it was - simple as that. BTW: The printing and mailing of these changes was upwards of $4,000. A survey, as useful as it may have been, would have cost another $4,000. These costs are over the normal printing and mailing of the magazine. Several members have already reported typos and they are being fixed as I write. If you find a typo, section or paragraph you disagree with, please contact the office or a Board member and let them know; but please also be prepared to tell them what it is you disagree with and why. It's the only way it can be fixed.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #68
Brian SATX

Sorry OLD182, I disagree. If there was a section that I did not like in the proposed changes, I still have to vote no for the entire proposal. It is right there on the postcard. No one is saying voter suppression, just one strange way to vote- making you say why you do not like it. And I am sorry, but I really doubt that the Board will take into consideration one or a few more that object to a certain passage. First, making it all or nothing is a bad idea. That is pushing to make it pass. Second having to explain is just wrong for a lot of reasons, the first being that nowhere in the constitution is this established. The opposite is true.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #69
noboD

Just wondering, how do you convince someone to join your club if they can't attend an event first? Does MARC actually insure ALL the members for liability or just the organizers.? Most clubs I belong to only have D&O insurance which only covers officers and organizers. Like if someone has a tour through a dangerous intersection and the club is sued for an accident. It does not cover the driver or passengers or even the other driver's injuries, just the person that organized the tour. SO what benefit would it be to limit attendees?
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #70
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
Just wondering, how do you convince someone to join your club if they can't attend an event first?

I've wondered the same. As I said I hadn't belonged to MARC for some time, I was in Crown Point, Indiana back in what, 2009, and the National Meet was in progress. I wandered in to see the A's, the ladies from MARC at the front desk were super friendly and I happily and quickly re-upped and I've been a Club member ever since. I had a great time loved seeing the cars and talking to club members, who were all very nice.

If they hadn't let me in to see the event, would I have joined? Probably not.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #71
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I've wondered the same. As I said I hadn't belonged to MARC for some time, I was in Crown Point, Indiana back in what, 2009, and the National Meet was in progress. I wandered in to see the A's, the ladies from MARC at the front desk were super friendly and I happily and quickly re-upped and I've been a Club member ever since. I had a great time loved seeing the cars and talking to club members, who were all very nice.

If they hadn't let me in to see the event, would I have joined? Probably not.
The national and regional meets are more of a convention than a car show. that may explain why visitors are not welcome. When I was involved in putting on meets, we would let visitors in to see the cars in the day, but had securtiy guards at night.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #72
Old182

Brian, I hear ya and this could have been presented better - sorry it wasn't. Next time around your No vote might count without an explanation - but it will likely go into the "No" vote bin and die there because there will be no way to address your concerns without your input. I just don't see any benefit in that to MARC or the membership.
nobody & 2manycars: Visitors are ALWAYS welcome to come and see the cars, chat with the owners and interact with whomever they wish; stop by for an hour or book a room - outside of the MARC activities. MARC, just like any other club, caters to its members, not the general public. We attract members by putting on great seminars (Dearborn next year will blow you away), welcome parties, fashion shows, youth programs, swap meets, publishing a world-class magazine and many other activities. These are available for folks who find it worthwhile to join the club and enjoy the members-only events. And at the reduced price of just $22.50 for the first year, we think it's a bargain.

Regarding insurance: MARC members put on (and are covered for) around 3,300 events each year! That's a lot of picnics, BBQs, Holiday Parties, swap meets and other activities. This policy covers ALL MARC MEMBERS - not just D&O. But remember: it's a LIABILITY policy - not automobile insurance. That's on the driver.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote