Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
marty in Ohio

Default the dreaded crack

Well, guys, we need your advise. In rebuilding a '29 engine everything was going along well until we stripped off the putrid yellow paint and found the dreaded crack in the block. There are actually two cracks, about five inches long on each side on the water inlet pipe. They're up high in the water jacket.
What's the best thing to do? Weld the cracks? Use J B Weld? Look for another block?
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: the dreaded crack

Save the block. I had a similar problem and ground a V in the crack (be careful, you can go right through a block. How do I know?) Then I filled the V crack with marine grade epoxy. You can find it on line. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
Well, guys, we need your advise. In rebuilding a '29 engine everything was going along well until we stripped off the putrid yellow paint and found the dreaded crack in the block. There are actually two cracks, about five inches long on each side on the water inlet pipe. They're up high in the water jacket.
What's the best thing to do? Weld the cracks? Use J B Weld? Look for another block?
Marty

The best thing to do is to stitch the crack closed with cast tapered pins. Most quality engine machine shops will have this capability. The second best option for you would be to have the block welded using a low temp product such as Muggy Weld. Both of these are considered a permanent repair. The third best thing IMO would to consider using an epoxy as suggested above. The reason I do not suggest the epoxy being the best is due to the dissimilar rates of expansion between the metal and the epoxy. Given enough time, the two will no longer be bonded together, and then Murphey's Law will take over.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
100IH

Have it inspected and repaired by someone familiar with Model A blocks. You found 2 cracks, suppose that all of the work is dine and then they tell you they found another? Not easy to fix cracks in the ports, they are thin walled. In the end, the best scenario is to find someone who has a pressure testing bench setup. The best final inspection.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

As Brent has suggested, I have used tapered pins with very good success.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Pete

There are 2 possibilities for a good fix.

1- Stitching.
2- Tig welding with ER70 rod.

Either will have to be done by someone familiar with the process.
TIG welding is better but very hard to find someone familiar with the process.
Get a pressure test guarantee.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
marty in Ohio

Thanks for your responses, guys. We have decided to go with the weld. Seems more permanent and after some research on-line we feel we have the ability to do the job right. Thanks again.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, guys. We have decided to go with the weld. Seems more permanent and after some research on-line we feel we have the ability to do the job right. Thanks again.
Marty

What rod are you going to use?

A little trick to help on the welding process is to be able to find a way (oven, old BBQ pit, old barrel etc.) that you can preheat it with charcoal briquettes. Once up to temps, do your welding and then return it to the preheat area and cover it up and let the briquettes burn out. Cooling this way allows the temps to decrease slowly. Just as a safety, check the oil drain tubes from the valve chamber to the main webs to make sure they are not compromised due to the heat. If so, use an old horn rod to repair the damaged one.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
J and M Machine

Quote:
Marty
I hope the welder has experience in welding old cast iron or else you'll have to search for another block. The metal is thin in those areas and we've seen many experts blow through them.
We do the crack repairs using metal stitching leaving a seamless permanent crack repair.
The radius area is a common crack prone location for Model A engines which we see all the time.
http://www.jandm-machine.com/metalStitching.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2017.JPG (60.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2071.JPG (59.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1157.JPG (70.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1238.JPG (56.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1949.JPG (48.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1993.JPG (55.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1997.JPG (52.1 KB, 106 views)
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
BillCNC

The area of this break is the one reason I'm not so convinced that the engine stand mounting adapter for the "A" is the best nor safest way to hold a populated block.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Whether a person chooses welding or epoxy to repair the cracks it is important to drill a small hole in the ends of the crack to keep the crack from running farther .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
The area of this break is the one reason I'm not so convinced that the engine stand mounting adapter for the "A" is the best nor safest way to hold a populated block.

Regards
Bill
Good point. I have the same concerns.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Ed in Maine

I had a crack similar to the one shown here. I was in high school and didn't know any better and was on a paper route budget. I ground a small "V-notch" in the crack. I didn't drill any holes in the end of the crack. Nobody told me to do that! I cleaned the V-notch with a wire wheel and then metal prep, and cleaned with solvent. Then I used a mixture of finely cut fiber glass mixed with the resin-expoxy & pressed it into the crack with a putty knife. Then, I sanded it back with fine sand paper and painted the block. I drove that Model A over 10,000 miles and never gave it another thought. If it becomes and problem in a few years, just repeat the above and move on! Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote