Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2018, 12:42 AM   #21
fredski53

Default Re: Brake Adjustment

Who drives their A fast enough to lock up the wheels!?
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:02 AM   #22
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
The faster you drive, the LESS likely you are to be able to lock up the wheels.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #23
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Is there a name or specification for the “new soft moulded linings”. I have bonded linings from quite a few years ago, along with cast iron drums, but doubt they are soft.

Terry,

I use some bonded linings to new shoes at times and in addition snyders is now handling soft molded lining. I know I complained quite a bit the last few years and others did as well as the older "woven" style lining was causing squeaking after some time on them with the new cast iron drums.
The soft molded lining is much better with the cast drums .

Give it a try with the cast irons, I think you will like them.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #24
Synchro909

Our local brake and clutch place has just stopped doing the very soft brake linings. The owners have been in the business for many decades and with the falling demand for their services, they are easing their way out. Looks like I will have to stay with woven linings unless I can find someone else to reline my shoes.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #25
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post

I get skidding front wheel(s) frequently when driving on rural back roads due
to pea gravel, dirt, etc at stop signs. Is probably not considered to be a true lock up as being discussed, more as a loss of friction/traction.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #26
Al 29Tudor

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Good morning all,
After 25 posts no one has mentioned the technique of pumping the brakes to stop the wheels from sliding on hot rubber and loos of steering.
Anti lock brakes pump the brakes for us these days in a panic stop.
In older systems we must pump the brakes to maintain control.
Al Leach
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Pumping mechanical brakes can have a cooling effect on the lining ,drums and tires .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #28
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
Good morning all,
After 25 posts no one has mentioned the technique of pumping the brakes to stop the wheels from sliding on hot rubber and loos of steering.
Anti lock brakes pump the brakes for us these days in a panic stop.
In older systems we must pump the brakes to maintain control.
Al Leach
After thinking about this (pumping brakes) for a little while and searching previous posts I think I need work done on my brakes, or need to brake earlier. Probably need work done.
Thanks to all for the info.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
After thinking about this (pumping brakes) for a little while and searching previous posts I think I need work done on my brakes, or need to brake earlier. Probably need work done.
Thanks to all for the info.
Our Model A club ran a series of workshops ealier this year. When we did one on brakes, we also did a braking test on everyone's car. Mine were fine but one fellow's brakes were so bad, we refused to let him leave without doing what we could on the spot to improve them. Once he had seen what good brakes a Model A can have, he rebuilt his as soon as he got home. Now, he enjoys driving his A much more and more often.
The worse your brakes are, the earlier you will have to brake but on the other hand, the brakes on a Model A will never be like a modern car. My advice to any novice driver I speak to is understand that and drive accordingly.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #30
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
... the brakes on a Model A will never be like a modern car.
Now if we could just convince the other idiots on the road of that fact maybe they would be a little more considerate and not pull out in front of us.

Never mind, not going to happen...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #31
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Now if we could just convince the other idiots on the road of that fact maybe they would be a little more considerate and not pull out in front of us.

Never mind, not going to happen...
Yeh, When they see us on the road, all they see is an old car. If it's old, it must be slow so they do all sorts of stupid things to get in front of it without thinking that the brakes on this old car will not be as good as theirs. It would be good if these idiots were able to think things through a little better!
Rant over but I think we can all relate!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #32
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Yeh, When they see us on the road, all they see is an old car. If it's old, it must be slow so they do all sorts of stupid things to get in front of it without thinking that the brakes on this old car will not be as good as theirs. It would be good if these idiots were able to think things through a little better!
Rant over but I think we can all relate!
It would be nice, but I think it is really OUR responsibility when we choose to drive these old cars in today's traffic, with today's speed limits, on today's roads, knowing their very limited ability to stop and accelerate and that they have minimal crash protection for us and our passengers.

Again, it would be great if others on the road knew our vehicle's limitations and acted accordingly, but it's not going to happen. The majority of them know as much about Model As as we know about some of their fringe hobbies. Hard to blame them.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #33
michael a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
It would be nice, but I think it is really OUR responsibility when we choose to drive these old cars in today's traffic, with today's speed limits, on today's roads, knowing their very limited ability to stop and accelerate and that they have minimal crash protection for us and our passengers.

Again, it would be great if others on the road knew our vehicle's limitations and acted accordingly, but it's not going to happen. The majority of them know as much about Model As as we know about some of their fringe hobbies. Hard to blame them.
I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. I drive a 94 Ford Explorer everyday rain and shine it's my work car it has three hundred and fifty thousand miles on it so to keep it on the shiny side I'm driving like a car with 350,000 miles on it no jack rabbit starts no jolting stops and pretty much the speed long limit at all times. Do this I get honking horns multiple finger signs and general anger toward me and my car for driving the posted speeds. We live in a world of idiots in a hurry talking on the phone instead of paying attention the roads we have now are mostly nice rural roads with the highways being four-lane and yet there is still wreck after wreck after wreck everyday and there is no excuse for it just inattentive driving and being able to drive over the speed limit very easily. Will my model a stop on a dime you know it will not but it will stop more than adequately for the speed limits that I am supposed to drive where I drive it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #34
Arthur Leighton

Quote:
The faster you drive, the LESS likely you are to be able to lock up the wheels.
You should drive just as fast as you can, that way you get to where you are going before you have an accident.
Arthur Leighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:10 AM   #35
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Leighton View Post
You should drive just as fast as you can, that way you get to where you are going before you have an accident.
Nice first post, Arthur!! You've set the tone for your future contributions!

Welcome to the Barn!

P.S. You might want to add your location to your avatar, so we can look out for you on the road!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #36
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
People can make whatever mods that they like and I have no problem . My mention of longer brake levers was that model A's have longer rear brake levers . The leverage of the longer levers cause the rear brakes to activate quicker and should have more power . The rear brake bias is built in because of the longer brake levers .
Actually, longer levers will make the brakes activate SLOWER but with more power. Perhaps this is why Henry designed it the way he did. The rear brakes come on first but, the shorter lever on the front will make the front "catch up" by applying faster than the rears. Just thinking out loud.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #37
ryanheacox

Quote:
Our Model A club ran a series of workshops ealier this year. When we did one on brakes, we also did a braking test on everyone's car. Mine were fine but one fellow's brakes were so bad, we refused to let him leave without doing what we could on the spot to improve them. Once he had seen what good brakes a Model A can have, he rebuilt his as soon as he got home. Now, he enjoys driving his A much more and more often.
The worse your brakes are, the earlier you will have to brake but on the other hand, the brakes on a Model A will never be like a modern car. My advice to any novice driver I speak to is understand that and drive accordingly.
I would have been right there with him before changing to cast iron drums. My brakes weren't just anti-lock, they were anti-stop.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #38
ericr

one would think there would have been more discussion about brake adjustment in the Bulletins than what there was, as noted above. There is lots of discussion about odd boo-boos that certain dealers were caught doing, but something as important about brakes does not get harangued repeatedly....
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #39
Purdy Swoft

Brake adjustment is mentioned in two places in the bulletins . one for the early and another in a different page for the later more common model A brakes . . Without copying the bulletin I'll tell how I do mine . I first disconnect the brake rods at the adjustable clevis end so they will be free and ready to adjust when the time comes . I then move on to the service brake cross shaft adjustment . I disconnect the pedal rod and adjust it so that the plunger at the rear of the pedal rod is 1/16 of an inch from the inside rear of the center cross member where the plunger meets the brake light switch on the 30-31 models . This adjustment is the easy way to set the cross shaft levers pointing straight up and down as Larry Sheppard mentions in a previous post . I then prop the brake pedal at the top of its travel . I adjust the clevis on the pedal rod so that the clevis pin will just enter the brake pedal and hold it at the top of its travel . I then adjust the brakes at the adjustment wedges on the backing plates . I pull back any slack at the front brake levers and adjust the clevises on the front brake rods so that the clevis pins will just enter the front brake levers . I then move to the rear and adjust the rear service brake rods. I pull forward on the rear brake levers to remove slack . I adjust the clevises on the rear brake rods so that the clevis pins will just enter the brake levers. This setup will have all slack in the system removed and the brakes will be ready to activate when the pedal is depressed. If the inner brake parts are in usable condition the brakes will be good .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #40
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks, Purdy. I missed that one. It is on page 297 in the service bulletins and is part of the entry on retrofitting a solid cross shaft to an early car.