Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
Synchro909

Default Michelin Tyres

Has anybody used these tyres? Michelin Double Rivet tyres always had a great reputation but they disappeared for a while. I'm not sure these are the same as what was available years ago.
www.cokertire.com/tires/michelin-bias-ply.html
The Coker website says that they are the distributors for the tyres, not that they make them so maybe they are still the French made ones. I believe they are the very best conventional tyre out there and not much short of a radial ply one but at the same price - $240 (4.75 -5.00X19), my first impulse is to go for the radial tyre. Opinions??
Time for bed! I'll be back in the morning.

Last edited by Synchro909; 12-20-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Bruce of MN

Default Re: Michelin Tyres

Heavy items shipped to Oz must be pretty spendy! Or do you have a Coker distributor there?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
Heavy items shipped to Oz must be pretty spendy! Or do you have a Coker distributor there?
Yes,we do but as you put it, very spendy. $530 each for those tyres. If I have stuff coming anyway, freight by surface is a little less painful. (weight doesn't matter, only volume)
I take it no body has knowledge of these tyres.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
harleynut

Wish I could help......530 for one tire???? $2120.00 for all four. That's out of my league. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year........Joe
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynut View Post
Wish I could help......530 for one tire???? $2120.00 for all four. That's out of my league. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year........Joe
That gives you an idea of how we are ripped off in this country by foreign companies. That price is out of my league too, that's why I am looking for alternatives. I won't pay that.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
SteveB31

How are you being ripped off?
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
How are you being ripped off?
This is just one example. We see it everywhere. For example, fuel here is $5.68 a US gallon, yet it all comes out of the same hole in the ground as yours!!!Would you be happy to pay $530 for a $240 tyre? Allowing for the exchange rate, the price is $A315, an increase of 68%. That's a mark up of $A215 per tyre. You can fit a lot of tyres in a container which would cost about $1,400 to bring from US. That's covered by just 7 tyres.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
duke36

Try the Lucas tires made in Vietnam, closer to Austr. than US ; may be cheaper? We've tried a set. So good so far w/ 200 miles. Time will tell on durability.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

And now Australia doesn't have an automobile plant in-country I read the last one just shut down. Ford left two years ago and Toyota bailed last year as I recall reading. Now GM is gone.

They all figure it's cheaper just to import cars. At the prices I'm seeing I have to wonder just what the heck is going on over there Sounds like importing stuff is a lot more expensive than making it there??

Sounds pretty pricey to live in Aus. or New Zealand.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
And now Australia doesn't have an automobile plant in-country I read the last one just shut down. Ford left two years ago and Toyota bailed last year as I recall reading. Now GM is gone.

They all figure it's cheaper just to import cars. At the prices I'm seeing I have to wonder just what the heck is going on over there Sounds like importing stuff is a lot more expensive than making it there??

Can't argue with that! Don't get me started on Governments! Now that all car manufacturing has ceased in this country, we have to import all our cars and boy, are some of them crap! Ford, for example are bringing in the Mustang. What a POS! The Australian made car it is supposed to replace had a 5 star safety rating - the maximum possible and shared with cars like Mercedes, Volvo, Audi etc. The mustang was lucky to get 2 stars and it is almost useless. It is not possible to even put a tow bar on it - not even a bicycle rack. Motoring writers are telling people "Don't buy one!" Korean cars are better.
Maybe we just made them too well. Even you guys knew a good thing when you saw it. Thousands of Australian cars were sold to police in the US badged as Chevs and the Pontiac GTO that GM released just before the GFC was also Aussie. Pity they scrapped the Poniac badge.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
Classiccanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Follow the buck...it's always about making more $$$$.
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote