Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #41
wensum

Default Re: so this just happened....

Local hot rod experts tell me that the Model A gearbox won't stand up to improved motors and drag-strip like starts and consequently I have an F150 box in my speedster.
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #42
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
Local hot rod experts tell me that the Model A gearbox won't stand up to improved motors and drag-strip like starts and consequently I have an F150 box in my speedster.
The standard MOdel A cog house is not bad for toughness. I have dragged a camper weighing about a metric tonne (2,200 lbs) around for a total of about 35,000 miles. No problems from that componenet.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:35 AM   #43
updraught

Straight cut gears don't need a strong case. Saves weight. It's a racing box.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #44
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
straight cut gears don't need a strong case. Saves weight. It's a racing box.
really. My real world experiance would say otherwise
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #45
Beater

well today its almost all back together. took the opportunity to replace the oil pan gasgets and main seals aswell. had it up to operating temp today and no pan leaks so far so yahoo on that one/

I got as far as to having just rebuilt the brake cross shaft ends welded them up and filed them to fit the new bushings just nice. put it all together and put cross shaft inplace. went to put the rod from brake pedal to cross shaft and I couldn't get the cross shaft to move. had me puzzeled for a bit. the torque tube was sitting on the cross shaft. it appears that after I took the 1/4" of slop out of it, it now goes up farther and runs into the tube. dam why is that I said to myself. sat down and had a beer and thought. after the beer was done I had it figured. it has a float a motor kit on it from forever ago and the rubbers have crushed allowing the back end to droop. anyways, got a jack under it and got them apart, need some new rubbers n spacers. so now my question is to the experts here, should my fan spaceing be even top and bottom at the rad when the blades are up n down? or should the engine be tilted a bit? I'm going to have to make a spacer to go in there, and wana get the angle right
Old 01-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #46
Synchro909

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
well today its almost all back together. took the opportunity to replace the oil pan gasgets and main seals aswell. had it up to operating temp today and no pan leaks so far so yahoo on that one/

I got as far as to having just rebuilt the brake cross shaft ends welded them up and filed them to fit the new bushings just nice. put it all together and put cross shaft inplace. went to put the rod from brake pedal to cross shaft and I couldn't get the cross shaft to move. had me puzzeled for a bit. the torque tube was sitting on the cross shaft. it appears that after I took the 1/4" of slop out of it, it now goes up farther and runs into the tube. dam why is that I said to myself. sat down and had a beer and thought. after the beer was done I had it figured. it has a float a motor kit on it from forever ago and the rubbers have crushed allowing the back end to droop. anyways, got a jack under it and got them apart, need some new rubbers n spacers. so now my question is to the experts here, should my fan spaceing be even top and bottom at the rad when the blades are up n down? or should the engine be tilted a bit? I'm going to have to make a spacer to go in there, and wana get the angle right
For that, I suggest having a look under another Model A and noting the distance between the cross shaft and the torque tube. Set yours to the same and you should be OK.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 PM   #47
Beater

Id like to do that but nobody even remotely close to me has one
Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 AM   #48
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Id like to do that but nobody even remotely close to me has one
Maybe someone here can measure theirs and post the result.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #49
Beater

that would be great
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #50
Synchro909

I won't get a chance till tomorrow to do that so unless someone else does it beforehand, I'll crawl under and do it then. Remember, we are 18 hours ahead of your west coast.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #51
Beater

well I made up some spacers and guessed yesterday. had to add about 1/2" to get it lifted up enough to have about a 2" clearance under the trans. my fan is not square with the rad yet but getting closser
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #52
Beater

well today was the day. decided that the spacer was good enough and I have about 1-2" of clearance between cross shaft and trans. it must have been bad bad before and I never noticed it because today when I went to put all the brake rods back on nothing would fit. had to kinda start from scratch and set everything up. did that then while it was on hoist adjusted up the brake cams to so everything was good back to spec.
so out the door for a lil spin and the clutch / gearbox workin good feels great. only one prob, first time I touched the brakes wow I have BRAKES now. almost went through the windshield and skidded the tires. after I got back to the shop and sat there infront of it looking for oil leaks, which by the way I don't have anymore, I had a look at cross shaft. seems before I lifted the motor when I stepped on brake pedal it was trying to lift the rear of the trans. now that's gone she sure is a different animal. anyways I'm happy all good. next on the list, change out the water pump for a leakless.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #53
Beater

new water pump today. next, rear wheel bearings and brake inspection

Last edited by Beater; 01-12-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #54
Gene F

About 20 years ago, a man died and he had a lot of As and parts. I bought a trans for was ether $15 or $20. About 10 or 12 years ago I decided to change my 28 over to single plate clutch. Took the tower off looked inside, dumped the oil, and out in fresh 660W. Just a very little wear on the edge of that one gear from the 2-3 shift, and I mean little. Put t in, and that was probably 12 years ago. It works great. Henry made some pretty good stuff. I did add that little cap to keep the reverse idler gear shaft from seeping oil.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #55
Beater

today we rear bearing repack and brake check over. never had the hubs off it before and I have something dragging on the drivers side, so opened her up to see whats what. bearings were ok but wasn't much grease in there so did a repack. brake and Ebrake shoes look prity good. hubs and drums ok I did find why there was something dragging . ill see who can catch it