Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
Fred A

Default Bob Drake Brake Lines

One of the problems with buying in advance of need is that when they are to be used, any issue is blunted by time. Got around to restoring my '40 brake system. Recalled the long narrow box that they were shipped should have alerted me to the shock that was to come. Not cheap and relying on the Bob Drake reputation, what I have is five convoluted sticks of brake line that show no more that an approximate intent to fit. Can't decide if the worst is the cross the front or, the MC and the left side connector or, the line to the torque tube. The two lines to the rear wheels are pretty good. Clearly they would fit into the box. Went directly to Kube's book and read that there were two MC connectors used in '40. Early cars got the "keystone" or Y shape '39 connector which was replaced by a T shape. You get the picture. Consider Richard Lacy for brake lines. I would pay twice for a set that is right. Seems that I may need to anyway. Good Luck: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 11-16-2021 at 12:29 AM.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Bob Drake Brake Lines

Wow! That's a sad commentary on DRAKE quality. You would think he would do much better. You could have done better making your own brake lines.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
STAN WHITE

Go with Richard Lacy, His brake line set up is better than perfect! Made to fit the particular vehicle do not have to drill any holes. I purchased a complete set for 34 Pickup and 34 three Window, No problems. Stan White
STAN WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Kube

Fred, You are not alone with this brake line debacle. For the first (and only) time, I'd ordered a set of pre-bent lines for one of my restorations. I guess I was just being lazy.
Anyway, they came from C&G. Pre-bent they were. My guess is they were pre-bent for a '66 Dodge. NOT close to a 40 Ford.
Like you, it was a bit before I went to use them.
Junk, total junk.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
bobH

I'm puzzled... surely you guys have tubing benders, and presumably are experts at forming tubing ? No ? 'Course, my location is pretty close to Richard Lacy's shop, and it's pretty easy for me to get Richard's or Dennis' stuff, if I want it. But, really, a trip to my local jobber, is all that is needed. I must be missing something... especially if there are 'complications' related to 'high-point' cars like kube deals with.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I'm puzzled... surely you guys have tubing benders, and presumably are experts at forming tubing ? No ? 'Course, my location is pretty close to Richard Lacy's shop, and it's pretty easy for me to get Richard's or Dennis' stuff, if I want it. But, really, a trip to my local jobber, is all that is needed. I must be missing something... especially if there are 'complications' related to 'high-point' cars like kube deals with.
Bob, Yes, I am very able to form my own lines. I have kept VERY nice authentic pieces to duplicate for my restorations.
As I'd mentioned in an earlier post, I was probably lazy the day I wanted the lines and thought I'd try a set of pre-bent lines.
Frankly, it was actually a decision based on how I value my time.
Anyway, the lines came and as I'd mentioned, were total crap. They were not even close to fitting.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #7
1941Pony

For what it’s worth, I got a classic tube ss brake line kit for my 41. Very nice kit and the bends were spot on.
1941Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #8
Fred A

I went to Classic Tube. they start at 1941. Thanks: Fred A
Old 11-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I thought the same thing while reading this post from the top. smh!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
Fred A

I took a close look at the chassis shots of Kube's Folkstone coupe. Even my originals were not that clean and to the task. My largest problem still is not the benders, but the double flare. Richard Lacy's work was a close second. On the originals one can see where small kinks were used to shorten for a more perfect fit. Although way not cheap, the real loss is the time I've spent trying to make the Drake set work at all. Bought two sticks to length and may get this disappointment behind me. I still do business with Bob but will be more careful. Thanks: Fred A

PS: My Drake Order this week included a hand brake cable (01A-2853). What a bright and beautiful piece, unlike the replacement grade offering elsewhere. Arrived 50 hours later, FEDEX GROUND. This is a good example of what these larger vendors can offer where lesser must sell Bob's product or other sad replacements. Always fear such days are numbered as so many important things disappear and the market marches on.

Last edited by Fred A; 11-10-2021 at 11:57 PM.