Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
Paul/Woodinville

Default steering wheel problem

I bought a new steering wheel awhile ago but just got around to putting it on. The problem is that the shaft and the wheel both have a flat indexing point and the wheel will only go on one way. When I get the wheel on the spoke is 45 degrees off of being straight across. I thought maybe I could straighten out by using the tie rod end adjustment but not sure that would be the way to fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on calling Chris at Shoebox Central in the morning being that's where I bought it. Thanks in advance.
Paul/Woodinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: steering wheel problem

I recall seeing in the service bulletins or a delivery prep instructions about using the tie rod ends to get the spokes aligned to "straight-ahead". It probably won't take that much adjusting to get what you need for the relatively slow steering on old Fords. I had a little mis-alignment on my '51, but I left it alone because I couldn't figure out which way to turn things to get what I wanted, without messing up toe-in! I think you could indeed figure out which way to move things, while keeping left and right side adjustments the same. Just gotta mark things and count accurately.

I definitely wouldn't start whittling on the splines of the wheel or shaft to try to get the wheel to mount differently. Maybe the supplier could compare a couple new wheels to see if the indexing of the hub is indeed different, and maybe they'd exchange yours.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
38coop

I also have a new steering wheel I bought from Chris for my 49. Although I have not installed mine yet I thought I had better double check to make sure mine lined up , which it did. Hope you get your problem solved.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

To properly adjust steering wheel you loosen and adjust the drag link sleeve. Just watch which way the wheels /steering wheel turns. Don't need to move it much. When it is in correct position, tighten it up again.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Paul/Woodinville

49s do not have a sleeved drag link. After to talking to Chris a Shoebox Central all the new steering wheels have the same defect.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Bob T

Get out the file and carefully file out the flat spot on the steering wheel. Take your time . It's not difficult to do.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
Paul/Woodinville

That's is what I was thinking of doing, the wheel shouldn't be to hard but shaft will be a bit more of a problem do to the location.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #8
Paul Bennett

Be certain you end up with the same number of steering wheel turns right and left. It is too easy to get carried away with cosmetics of how it looks and neglect the real function of maneuvering the car.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote