Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
larry harding

Default engine oil

i know this has probably been hashed over many times, but i can't find anything in search. what is the best oil to use in the engine? a friend who has several old cares is a fan of shell rotella for the zinc needed in flat tappet engines. suggestions appreciated.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: engine oil

Any good quality multi-grade oil like 15W-30. Back in the day, 1960's, we would buy just the cheapest oil available, in gallon containers. But the engines would sludge up because it was non-detergent. Today's oils are much better quality.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...If your A is a recent purchase...ask the fellow you purchased it from what they were running...then share it with us. The important part is weather it has detergent or non-detergent oil in it now...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry harding View Post
i know this has probably been hashed over many times, but i can't find anything in search. what is the best oil to use in the engine? a friend who has several old cares is a fan of shell rotella for the zinc needed in flat tappet engines. suggestions appreciated.
You are correct I typed oil in the search and no joy, then I typed oils and came up with 11 pages!
Old 08-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Mister Moose

A big problem in many forum search tools is an automatic disqualifier for 3 letter words.

Ditto Ernie's comment, it is important to know what oil was previously used. Type, not brand.

IMHO, frequent changing is far more important that using some high falutin fancy oil. The engine does not run that hot, and does not go that far between changes. Sure, some additives might make a difference over 50,000 miles, but I question if there is a meaningful difference for the low mileage most cars see.

Detergent vs straight oil, big difference.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #6
McMimmcs

likely the most posted question on the site. You should do a Search!!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
Mister Moose

Here's some help for you:

Go to the search page. Select advanced search if need be, you should have a page of options.

Type in "engine oil" including the quotation marks in the keywords box.

In the drop down menu just below the key words box, select Titles only.

In the forums list, click Model A if you want to just see those discussions, otherwise clicking nothing will bring returns from other cars' forums.

Click Search now. Lots of results to read.

Using the quotations in the keywords defeats the 3 letter word filter by requesting the entire phrase. You can also try "Best Oil" or "Oil to use" etc. If you want to see a certain oil, type something like "Shell Rotella" and search Entire Posts in the drop down menu. That will get you all the posts discussing that oil.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Larry, I have spoken with several of engine oil company engineers such as Shell, Champion, and Royal Purple at some performance trade shows we attend. What I have come to believe is, it is all about how each company markets their product as to whether they feel it is a necessity. Champion and Royal Purple have a classic car oil available in a blended and pure synthetic, -and they both feel that Zinc is needed. The Shell engineers told me that Rotella Diesel Oil is fine if that is what we want to use however they would not recommend its use in a gasoline engine. (note: I do use Rootella on my own Model-As & Ts, ...and on engines I rebuild) They claim that (-insert whatever the long words are for Zinc) Zinc was removed for environmental reasons however the Shell guys said there was another couple of additives that are used instead of the Zinc and they collectively do an even better job of protecting metal wear than what the Zinc did. All three basically said that the Model-A engine likely does not have enough valve spring pressure to cause premature wear on tappets without Zinc. So I am not sure who to believe but the Zinc additive has been gone for awhile now and I have not heard of anyone with a Model-A engine claiming their engine had premature wear because Zinc was not used. It is a controversial topic though!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #9
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

All three basically said that the Model-A engine likely does not have enough valve spring pressure to cause premature wear on tappets without Zinc. So I am not sure who to believe but the Zinc additive has been gone for awhile now and I have not heard of anyone with a Model-A engine claiming their engine had premature wear because Zinc was not used. It is a controversial topic though!!
Brent,
Even most of the "Hot Rod motors" do not have a problem with premature cam/lifter wear.
Race motors with extreme valve spring pressures can have issues if the lifters and cam do not have proper ramps and radius.
Some have tried Tin coating lifters and even dicronite with success.

John
Old 08-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Brent, sounds like "off the record" that using the Shell Rotella T synthetic is probably a good a choice as anything readily available from local stores now?
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Larry, I have spoken with several of engine oil company engineers such as Shell, Champion, and Royal Purple at some performance trade shows we attend. What I have come to believe is, it is all about how each company markets their product as to whether they feel it is a necessity. Champion and Royal Purple have a classic car oil available in a blended and pure synthetic, -and they both feel that Zinc is needed. The Shell engineers told me that Rotella Diesel Oil is fine if that is what we want to use however they would not recommend its use in a gasoline engine. (note: I do use Rootella on my own Model-As & Ts, ...and on engines I rebuild) They claim that (-insert whatever the long words are for Zinc) Zinc was removed for environmental reasons however the Shell guys said there was another couple of additives that are used instead of the Zinc and they collectively do an even better job of protecting metal wear than what the Zinc did. All three basically said that the Model-A engine likely does not have enough valve spring pressure to cause premature wear on tappets without Zinc. So I am not sure who to believe but the Zinc additive has been gone for awhile now and I have not heard of anyone with a Model-A engine claiming their engine had premature wear because Zinc was not used. It is a controversial topic though!!

I beleve Rotell T is fine too. What the enginers told you I'm sure is right. I'm using it in my new engine because my engine builder is still in my warranty period and he wants me to use it with a bottle of ZDP. I don't agree, but we will do it his way. My last engine I used Lucas hotrod oil, and 1/2 bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer. I was very happy with that.,
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote