Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
panhead_pete

Default Re: My 1st Model A (non Hotrod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
No problem. I thought you might have missed the links that were mixed in with the other responses. I hope you really enjoy your car. My car has been a blast! :-)

Cheers! Stoked you are enjoying yours so much. To be honest I never thought I'd get this excited about a relatively stock banger powered car. Its coming across with a really cool full fendered traditional styled chopped 3W 33 Coupe and I more excited about the A

Thanks

Last edited by panhead_pete; 05-23-2021 at 08:40 AM.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #22
panhead_pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
No problem. I thought you might have missed the links that were mixed in with the other responses. I hope you really enjoy your car. My car has been a blast! :-)

Cheers! Stoked you are enjoying yours so much. To be honest I never thought I'd get this excited about a relatively stocker banger powered car. Its coming across with a really cool full fendered traditional styled chopped 3W 33 Coupe and I more excited about the A

Thanks
Old 05-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Ken thanks for the detailed respsonse besides the wheels its fitted with a T170, 12v alt, model B distributor, cam and carb and possibly a head but need to confirm that. So your suggestion of points condensor and plugs is a great idea. Having not owned a banger before any suggestions for good suppliers of those?
I don't have any experience with the Model B distributor. I don't know how much they differ from the Model A other than the cam lobes.

For my Model A I find that NAPA has the best original style points. The condensers you can get from the major suppliers, like Bratton's. Make sure that it is "burn-out proof." The best ones are made by A&L. I would ask the seller. He can point you toward the parts that will fit and work well. Maybe he can source them and stick them in a box in the car.

Ken
Old 05-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #24
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I don't have any experience with the Model B distributor. I don't know how much they differ from the Model A other than the cam lobes.

For my Model A I find that NAPA has the best original style points. The condensers you can get from the major suppliers, like Bratton's. Make sure that it is "burn-out proof." The best ones are made by A&L. I would ask the seller. He can point you toward the parts that will fit and work well. Maybe he can source them and stick them in a box in the car.

Ken
The Model A condenser can easily be modified to fit the Model B by elongating the hole on the tab at the end and adding a short wire. As suggested be sure to get the good one that probably came from A&L.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5690.jpg (93.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5691.jpg (71.5 KB, 9 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #25
jayvee34

In the late 1950's I was stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, and on the weekends would tour the many Shrines in the Southern Honshu area on a small motorcycle. Motorcycles and bicycles were the main mode for transportation, other than
the local taxi's back then. It would be a blast to tour that same area in a Model A.
I know you will really enjoy your A.
Best wishes,
John
Old 05-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #26
panhead_pete

Thanks for the condensor info fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee34 View Post
In the late 1950's I was stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, and on the weekends would tour the many Shrines in the Southern Honshu area on a small motorcycle. Motorcycles and bicycles were the main mode for transportation, other than
the local taxi's back then. It would be a blast to tour that same area in a Model A.
I know you will really enjoy your A.
Best wishes,
John

Cheers John, ironically I still do the same, touring etc on a Honda Cub Have a couple but my CT110 is my favourite at the moment. What a lot of folks dont know about Japan is how much of it is rural and forest which is the case where I live. Really looking forward to do cruising some of it with my wife in the A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 186510063_10159091920236480_5950733275746383160_n.jpg (100.8 KB, 15 views)

Thanks
Old 05-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #27
mgambuzza

Best of luck with it - my first one as well and I can say after decades of performance, sports, and other vehicles on both sides of the pond, my 1930 Tudor gets more smiles per mile than almost any of them. Parts at least stateside are also some of the easiest to come by.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote