Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
dnkcurtis

Default Model a distributor inner bushings

Looking for a new vender that sells the 1" long bronze shaft bushing, any ideas would be appreciated. Bratton's has been my source for these but a $20 some fee to have them shipped FED-X is ridiculous. I have checked with most of the other catalog companies but have not found one the sell the 1" size.

Thanks DRC

Thanks to you all for your help DJ S found the solution TAM'S

Last edited by dnkcurtis; 03-03-2017 at 03:39 PM.
dnkcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Model a distributor inner bushings

Are you only gong by what's on line, in the catalog or have you called and talked to them?
Old 03-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Y-Blockhead

USPS Flat Rate them? ~$7.00
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
DJ S

Those could easily fit in a small envelope... contact Tam's, their shipping is very reasonable.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Aren't they dimpled bushings?
What is the ID and OD of the bushings?
I can check the price at the local bearing and seal store, but Paul told me they don't sell dimpled bushings.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
Brian T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
USPS Flat Rate them? ~$7.00
Brattons have no option to choose USPS, I called and asked and the person who answered the phone said the order had to be over $50 and you have to call and request it, made no sense to me, however I usually order small items with a larger order and keep a few bits in stock.
Both the long and short bushings are dimpled, the short ones are from Snyders and do not need reaming, just some burnishing with a drill motor.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
dnkcurtis

DJ S #4 had the right solution, Tam's sell the 1" bushing and the shipping is the lower cost US mail.
Bratton's handles these but will no longer use USPS Mail, Min shipping is $20 FED-X
Snyder's / Macs do not carry the 1" long bushings
Mikes and A&L do not carry the longer one either

Thanks to you all for your help.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
briphaeton

Distributor Bushings
OD .570 ID .495 OAL 1.00
briphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
Tom Endy

Call Bratton's and ask to speak with Walt (the owner) or his son-in-law Jeff. Ask if they would put them in a small box and send them to you by US post office.
Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
SteveB31

We have them as well.

Steve @ Bert's

modelastore.com
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #11
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by briphaeton View Post
Distributor Bushings
OD .570 ID .495 OAL 1.00
This might be worth a try. When I worked at the local ACE hardware store after I retired, they carried a very nice selection of "Oilite" bronze bushings in many sizes.

If you have a local Ace, drop in..
Old 03-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I don't even see fed ex. But if you really need it next day I guess that's about the right price, 20 bucks.

SHIPPING

We offer the shipping methods listed below. Please note that orders placed after 3:00PM Eastern Time may be processed the next business day.

UPS
Shipping fees are based off the published rates from UPS and vary depending on weight and final destination. Quoted charges are estimates. Actual charges will be billed once the shipment is packaged and run through the UPS shipping system.
UPS Ground Shipping 1-6 business days
UPS Three Day Air cost varies depending on weight, size and destination of the package
UPS Two Day Air cost varies depending on weight, size and destination of the package
UPS Next Day Air Saver Delivery by the end of the day cost varies depending on weight, size and destination of the package
UPS Next Day air by 10:30 am (not available in all areas) cost varies depending on weight, size and destination of the package
UPS SurePost
Adds 1-2 days to standard UPS Ground Shipping

USPS
Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box (8 ½” x 5 ¼” x 1 ¾” box)
In Store Pickup
If you are going to be in our area feel free to stop by and pick your order up. All orders picked up at our shop in Mount Airy MD, will be billed sales tax.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:08 AM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Brattons have no option to choose USPS,
Hmmm, I suppose you better call and inform them that they offer it on their website (lower right corner).

Not only that but they have sent me small items by USPS that I forgot to add to a larger order.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-04-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #14
jak

Good morning Everybody. It seems that there might be some confusion on the shipping at Bratton's. This thread was brought to my attention so let me address this.

#1) yes we will ship items using Priority Mail. We Limit the value of the orders to $50 or less and the items need to fit into a Small Flat Rate Priority Mail Box (unless it is an international order). The reason for this dollar and size limitation is two fold.
On the dollar limit we have had issue with the post office losing packages and even though they are insured we have never been able to get reimbursed by the postal service. On the last package that was lost we worked with the post office for three months and provided everything that was asked for multiple times and the claim kept getting "lost". The second reason for this limitation is size. We have discovered that with our shipping discount via Fed-Ex & UPS we are able to ship orders at a lower cost than the postal service. By the time insurance is added to the postal rates it is more expensive.

We are still trying to work out some of the kinks and bugs on the shipping services on the website. At this time we are working on upgrading our internal systems to work more closely with the website and get more accurate shipping amounts. When we ventured on this enhancement i did not realize how complex or difficult it would be (it involves weighing and measuring every item that we sell). I'm hoping in the next couple of months to have this system in place and working and a better integration with the website.

As always if you ever have any questions please feel free to give us a call. Debbie or I are around the shop. Walt has officially entered semi-retirement, and comes in occasionally when we need help.

Thank you for your time.

Jeff

Last edited by jak; 03-06-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: submitted by mistake
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

"On the dollar limit we have had issue with the post office losing packages and even though they are insured we have never been able to get reimbursed by the postal service."

I've had the same experience as Jeff with the post office. A couple months ago I received a pair of NOS Studebaker taillight glass lenses, and even though they were very well packed the PO still found a way to break one of them. The seller refunded 2/3 of my money because he and I both knew that I'd never collect form the post office. That is why I would never pay extra for insurance.

I don't buy several things on ebay anymore because I know the PO will break them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #16
dnkcurtis

Jeff thanks for the information, I called this morning and you set me straight on the shipping. I appreciate the notice here on Ford Barn and hope I did not cause you any problems.
Thanks again for your explanation, the 50 dollar limit. This may have been the situation.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #17
Brian T

Thanks Jeff for explaining the USPS option, when I tried to open that option my order was over the $50 limit so it would not go thru, I also failed to notice the small flat rate box, thanks to 2 of my fellow Barners who pointed it out, the person who I spoke to may not have known the full story, thanks again.