Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #21
Gary/IA

Default Re: I'm Torn, please advise

The money you get for your Dad's coupe will soon be spent, then you will have neither. Keep the car.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #22
Gil Sissons

Something that would be important to me if I were in this position...
Do you have any children that at some point in time the car could be given to? With the car having belonged to your father...and I had a
child to some day to pass the car along to...no way I could sell it!
Have to say...Hats off to your lady! She does deserve a new set of
wheels! 300K on current ride! Gil NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #23
Willie Krash

Two things that people say in my shop, retiring is the best thing I have ever done
and I never should have sold my model A.
You can tell by the look in their eyes...
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #24
Brobrian

Very wise, gentlemen. And persuasive. My wife said today that she was not sure she could live with me not having the coupe either. And since we are not clear and definite about a course of action, we should take no action.
Again, I appreciate the input. Just wanted to see if there were folks out there who had done the same thing and either felt good about it or regretted it. You know, you all might have said something like, "Cars come and go. Don't worry about it." However, it seems that once an A adopts you, you are inseparably part of the family.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #25
mhsprecher

There is nothing that compares to an understanding wife. A happy ending to the story.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #26
Gunmetal blue2

I owned 5 Model A's by the time I was 19 and all them are gone and I miss them and they was no passed down from family. But they were the first cars and truck that I bought with my own money.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobrian View Post
Ok, guys, I'm really struggling here with whether or not to put my '28 Special Coupe up for sale. If you're interested in helping point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate some perspective.

I got the car from my dad 25 or so years ago, and have been driving it and working on it ever since. The coupe runs well, but needs to have the top redone. And as with most A's, I could still fix a few things.I now have a '31 PU which I've put a lumber rack on and which is now the more useful vehicle. So I find myself hopping in the truck all the time while the coupe barely gets driven. On the other hand, every time I see a the car, or even a picture of it on my computer I realize I still love it.

My wife is going to buy an new car here in the next month. (And believe me, she deserves it after driving her Previa for 20 years and 300,000 miles.) If I sell the coupe there will be room in the garage for her car and, of course I'll have fewer "things" to maintain. Additionally, if I sold the car, I'd sell one of my bikes too and combine the funds to get a newer bike. (I get around either in an A or on a motorcycle). Seems like a good plan to me. But, I'm not much of a wheeler-dealer and I just can't seem to place the ad.

Any input?
Happy Wife Happy Life.
Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #28
Sixseven

Why does a modern (new) car need to be stored indoors in Riverside, CA? I kept a car for nearly 30 years that spent the last 10 years as a shelf in the garage. I needed to sell it, but couldn't. I ended up restoring it. Besides, other than you using it as a daily driver, most people have these cars with no consideration of financial logic. Why should you start now? Keep it, I like your plan that no change is good for now.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #29
H. L. Chauvin

I think the good news in reply #25 makes everybody happy -- thanks for asking for input.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #30
kwisor

Hello
I have a 1930 model a tudor and a 1923 model t p/u that where my uncals cars and when he passed thay where given to me. I take turns driving both I dont drive the a that much yet becouse I am in the middel of restoring it but I love them both and when I drive them he is in the passanger seat with me. He had a stroke and lost his speach and was parolised and could not drive. I would take him for rides and work on them for him all the time. My ant told me I would get th cars becouse his children would only sell them. i told her i didn't do that for him to get the cars i did becouse i loved him The cars will go to my childern
Kevin
1923 model t roadster p/u
1930 model a tudor
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #31
Lee Mitch

I would mostly agree with the overwhelming opinion of the majority of the responses except I would need to add this one caveat. If it is going to sit and rust, rot, and fall into disrepair, by all means sell it to someone that would take care of it. It is a loss to everyone and to the hobby if it is lost through neglect. IMO
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #32
Fdohnke

"I got the car from my dad 25 or so years ago" = priceless.
Fdohnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #33
Elcastor

My solution was to build a carport attached to the front of the garage. 2 model A's in the garage and the modern cars under the carport. Works for us.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
29Otis

Keep the car! I sold my Dad's car awhile back and everytime I see one, I regret the decision.
29Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #35
SLPreston53

Sold my Dad's 30 Cabriolet. Regretted it ever since. Keep the coupe is my thought.
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
Kevin in NJ

I have been wrestling with the concepts of getting rid of cars.

We put too much into our objects. Granted some may have family values, but in the end it is an extra hassle.

We get way to sentimental over the cars to the detriment of our living. It is no fun being packed in with stuff. While you may feel some remorse for moving on the day to day relief of one less thing may be way more healthy for you.

I say simplify, move on.

That being said, I have a 66 Fastback all apart I would like to move.....
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #37
huddy

My '30 Coupe belonged to my best friend of 45 years who passed in 2010. It took me 3 years to talk his widow into selling it. (His children weren't interested in it - they wanted to sell to the highest offeror). It took me a year and a half to save up to buy it. I've never looked back.

I have no children interested in it, but I have a nephew who is a mechanic and who has already helped me work on it. His son is also a mechanic. It will always have a good home, and won't end up as a rod or lawn ornament.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #38
chopo

in this case dad owned = keep

dont scare me i poop easy
chopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #39
Dick Carne

I tend to agree with the majority of folks on this point. My father sold a couple of Model A's in my early college years - wish he hadn't, but they were his cars. I've "looked" for our old '31 Sport Coupe ever since, and even tried tracing down former owners to find its current whereabouts - all to no avail. Add to that, if you were to have second thoughts after having sold it, you could never repurchase it for what you might sell it for. If you are having doubts, my recommendation would be to hold on to the car until you are quite certain of your decision.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #40
BlueSunoco

[QUOTE=Sixseven;816083]Why does a modern (new) car need to be stored indoors in Riverside, CA?

Are you kidding? Ever see what the sun does to a car out there? In SoCal and in the desert? Or in Arizona or the Deep South? Not pretty Especially the plastic trim that's the first thing that bites the dust.

When you live in Phoenix, and you have to carry a rag in your pocket to open the outside door handle of your car because it is so damn hot in the summer time you'll burn your hand on the handle, think what that is doing to your trim, paint, dash board, upholstery.

No. A garage anywhere is always a GOOD thing. A car is too expensive to just sit outside all the time.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote