Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Gwill65074

Default What should I pay for a 1928 Tudor

I am looking at a 1928 Tudor that is not running, although the current owner says the previous owner rebuilt it, says he can look in the spark plug hole and see shiny pistons. When I look at it the engine is pretty dirty for something that someone rebuilt and never started. Needs wiring, fuel line, glass, top, and interior. It's been painted but not buffed out nor has the visor, light bar and headlights and rear bumpers been installed, but he has them. The body looks straight. I think it would be a nice car, but I think he is out of line on the price. Sure would like some input on this please. Glen
Gwill65074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: What should I pay for a 1928 Tudor

Need pictures of the upholstery, paint, frame, and engine. 5K maybe? Maybe more or less depending on the pictures. What was done to all the running gear and brake parts?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
BlueSunoco

Interior alone on a Sedan is very expensive. I feel 5K is strong money for a '28 Tudor that basically needs re-restored. You may as well figure the drive train needs all rebuilt, all the mechanicals the drivetrain, front end, etc. You can dump a lot of money just into brakes if you have to buy new drums,,,,looking at maybe 1500 if you do it yourself, the whole system sometimes more. Someone on here stated that they had recently spent close to 3 grand for a complete brake job. Price tires lately? A set of skins will set you back 600-700 bucks. Is that paint job any good? What kind of body work is hiding underneath? Bondo beauty? Sounds like somebody took a Tudor, slapped a cheapo paint job on it, and is trying to be like the guys on TV and 'flip' it for a quick buck.

If it were me, and I had to have a Tudor, you would be money ahead to find a NICE one already done they are plentiful, and a LOT less $$ than what you are going to sink into this one. Starting at $5,000. When you are done, you still have a Tudor. 1 out of 4 Model A's built, were Tudors. You'll never see Phaeton, Cabriolet, Roadster money in that project if you go to sell someday.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Look at it as if EVERYTHING has to be RE-DONE! In the end, anything that DIDN'T have to be RE-DONE, is a + (PLUS)
Bill W.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
chopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Look at it as if EVERYTHING has to be RE-DONE! In the end, anything that DIDN'T have to be RE-DONE, is a + (PLUS)
Bill W.
best advice ever

dont scare me i poop easy
chopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
1967 Ford

A previous owner may very well have rebuilt the engine......In 1956!
1967 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
ronn

I agree with Blue,
can buy a decent car for 8k in the tudor style...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
Gwill65074

Thanks Guys, I kinda figured it was worth about 5K myself but the owner thinks it's pretty precious at 8K. Here's some pictures if I did this right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928 Tudor.jpg (53.8 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Interior.jpg (47.8 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 rebuilt motor.jpg (1.3 KB, 447 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Gwill65074

I really would love to have a Fordor someday.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
wrndln

Looking at the pictures, I think even 5K might be a little high and 8K is totally out of line in my opinion. I would bet he would come way down on his price once he hasn't sold it for a long time. It looks like a lot of work and $$ for parts. From only 2 pictures, it is difficult to see how much work there would be on the body. You probably should look for a Fordor you are thinking about, but if it needs restoring, it would be even more work and $$ for parts than a Tudor - they had a ton of wood in them which is real eapensive.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

No top nor interior. 5K is too much.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Tinbasher

I was looking at a 28 Tudor with everything done. Clean tidy little car but over heats after 10 miles. Needed the Rad shroud and bumpers replated and the owner wanted $10,000. I figure with the over heating problem $7000 -$8000. if i can track down the problem. So this car your speaking of $3500.00 to $4000.00 tops.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
31Abone

$50 bucks max
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

STUPID Internet, E-Bay, high profile AUCTIONS, etc, has folks thinking their cars are worth a small FORTUNE!! If a for sale Model A is decent, & for sale at a fair price, it will sell in it's own town in 4 DAYS!!!
Even when you have found that "RIGHT BUY", in the end you will probably have more into it than you had planned on! I always remember Glen B.'s statement, "IF YOU GONNA' PLAY, YOU GOTTA' PAY"! Friend, Roy, bought a spiffy, "TOUR READY", BLACK, '29 Town Sedan, up North, from the Internet-----$2,700.00 & 3 months later, it's "TOUR READY"!!!
I'm CHEEP! NOT having High Speed Internet or Cable T.V, helps me have "PLAY" MONEY!!
Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MONEY.jpg (17.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwill65074 View Post
I am looking at a 1928 Tudor that is not running, although the current owner says the previous owner rebuilt it, says he can look in the spark plug hole and see shiny pistons. When I look at it the engine is pretty dirty for something that someone rebuilt and never started. Needs wiring, fuel line, glass, top, and interior. It's been painted but not buffed out nor has the visor, light bar and headlights and rear bumpers been installed, but he has them. The body looks straight. I think it would be a nice car, but I think he is out of line on the price. Sure would like some input on this please. Glen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
No top nor interior. 5K is too much.
How long are you planning to keep it? Do you want to flip it or keep it?

To me it makes a big difference. Ask the guys that still have the model A's they bought for $100.00. If they paid 3 times that amount back then would they say they paid too much if you asked them now.

Understand what I'm trying to say?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
bogdonj

wow I wouldn't pay anymore than $2,500-$3,000. Looks like the chassis and front end hasn't been redone. No roof, glass, interior and all the wood looks bad. Fenders look all scratched up. To me this is a messtoration.
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #17
Gwill65074

Thanks everyone, looks like I need to put my money back in the bank and look for a nice Fordor I can pile the grand kids in. We already have a nice Tudor we restored last summer, my avatar, that we really enjoy but we both would like to find something we can really tour in with overdrive. Glen
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
ctvpa

There are so many out there, I would not go anywhere near $5k on this. One of our club members was driving down the street in his A. Some people working on their lawn waved him over. They brought him to their garage and showed him a nice 30 coupe. Nice condition, running, driver, good paint, all in all not perfect, but very nice. They had it many years and lost interest. They asked him to 'spread the word' that it's for sale. He asked how much, they said they would like $5k. He wrote them a check, great buy.
So look local, check Craig's List.
Contact your local Model A club, they often have leads.
For the money, I would pass on that tudor. But I would hate to see it go to a chop shop.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
Keith True

Prices are different across the country,so I have no idea what it is worth where you are.I can tell you,that if that car was in New England it would fetch $5000.+ to a street rodder.They tell themselves,(and their wives) that they can recover half their money on the sale of the extra parts.(never really happens)I just looked at a 31 Tudor that a street rodder had bought out of a barn for $5000.He told a bunch of A guys about it,the best offer was $2500.He sold it to another rodder for $5000.after he robbed a bunch of garnish moldings out of it.I had a solid 29 coupe a few years ago that I wanted to preserve.The best offer in a years time from the A guys was $3500.I sold it to a rodder for well over $8000.His attitude was I would rather give $8000.to you for a nice body than $12000.to a bodyman to rework old junk.I wanted to preserve the car,but I wasn't going to take $5000.out of my pocket to do it.There will always be a bargain somewhere,but I haven't run across a good one in 20+ years.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Looking at the pictures, I think even 5K might be a little high and 8K is totally out of line in my opinion. I would bet he would come way down on his price once he hasn't sold it for a long time. It looks like a lot of work and $$ for parts. From only 2 pictures, it is difficult to see how much work there would be on the body. You probably should look for a Fordor you are thinking about, but if it needs restoring, it would be even more work and $$ for parts than a Tudor - they had a ton of wood in them which is real eapensive.
Rusty Nelson

I agree!!! I would think that five thousand would be way too much.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote